McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ak07
ak07

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I'm betting they are cold/wet towels placed on the bodywork. I'm guessing they are used when the car is hot and cannot be worked on, thus not being able to remove bodywork as in parc ferme.

The exhaust probably comes pretty close to bodywork there, they are labeled RH/LH so they are not for the four separate corners.

I've seen it multiple times on other types of cars (IndyCar, prototypes etc.)

It's not to prevent a fire, just to cool the surface of the bodywork to keep the paint from bubbling and/or the resin/carbon fraying being weakened/damaged.

Javert

Good news:
Nonostante gli scarichi soffianti in rilascio saranno vietati a fine stagione, la ricerca e lo sviluppo della F1 per il 2011 non si ferma. In questo senso, la Mercedes sembra essere stata quella che ha sperimentato più sistemi di scarico, investendo molto in questo settore. Secondo il settimanale Autosprint, la Stella a Tre Punte sarebbe pronta ad introdurre – forse già da Spa Francorchamps – qualcosa di rivoluzionario sui propri motori.

La novità tecnica è stata definita “Bagpipe Exhaust”, ossia scarico a forma di cornamusa. Il fatto che l’abbia progettato un ingegnere scozzese, è solamente una pura casualità. La particolarità di questa soluzione alternativa è quella di limitare il problema delle onde pulsanti, ossia un flusso instabile generato dai gas di scarico che vengono soffiati verso il diffusore. Per ovviare al problema di queste onde, gli scarichi sono già disegnati in modo che le onde non possano tornare indietro e creare fenomeni di combustione. Mercedes ha pensato di affinare ancora di più questo settore con questo piccolo serbatoio, di circa cinque litri, posizionato dopo il gomito a 180 gradi, formato dai terminali in uscita dal motore.

La funzione del Bagpipe Exhaust è quella di stabilizzare i gas in uscita in modo tale che vadano a soffiare in modo costante, generando pressione continua sul diffusore, senza alterazioni. Secondo le indiscrezioni, la soluzione è già in piena fase evolutiva, dato che è stata provata in due configurazioni, ma comunque pronta per il debutto.

In termini di prestazioni, l’adozione dello scarico a cornamusa costerà ai motori Mercedes qualcosa come cinque cavalli, ma abbiamo visto come l’affinamento aerodinamico, negli ultimi anni, conti decisamente di più delle potenze dei propulsori."

(blogf1 .it)
Translation:
Even if off-throttle exhausts blowing will be banned from next season, R&S for 2011 F1 cars don't stop. In this way, Mercedes seems the one who tried the greatest number of exhaust system, spending much in this sector. Italian newspaper Autosprint reports Mercedes is ready to race - maybe in Spa Francorchamps - something revolutionary on their engines.

Technical news is called "Bagpipe Exhausts" and was projected by a scottish engineer. The particularity of this solution is to decrease pulsing wave problem, which is an unstable flow generated by exhausts gases when are blown to diffuser. To minimize this effect, exhausts are designed in a way that waves cannot go back and generate combustion. Mercedes has thinked to optimize this sector with a little tank, of 5 lt c.a., that is put after the 180° degress hook made by the terminals exiting from the engine.

The function of Bagpipe Exhaust is to stabilize exiting gases in a way they can blow in a constant way, generating costant pressure on the diffuser without variations. By indiscretions, solution is in a fully evolutive stage, given that it was tested in two configs, and is ready to race.

Bagpipe Exhaust will make the Mercedes engines pay 5 horses, but we have seen how aerodinamic in last years counts much more than power.

Richard
Richard

Is that post in the right thread? The article refers to Mercedes not McLaren?

Javert

richard_leeds wrote:Is that post in the right thread? The article refers to Mercedes not McLaren?
All Mercedes-engine powered teams will race Bagpipe exhausts, given the news

shamikaze
shamikaze

LOL,

I raised the bag-pipe idea a few months back during the "octopus" discussion ;)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9784&p=240695#p240695

Javert

shamikaze wrote:LOL,

I raised the bag-pipe idea a few months back during the "octopus" discussion ;)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9784&p=240695#p240695
=D>

aral
aral

To produce a constant pressure in exhaust system on the overrun, the gasses would have to remain in the chamber. If that was the case, pressure would have to be created, resulting in considerable back pressure in the manifolds when accellorating. That would rob the engine of HP, so the theory is far fetched.

Coefficient
Coefficient

marcush. wrote:well these pads show clearly rh and lh side markings -but tyre blankets have DIFFERENT markings rr,lr,rf,lr so that does not fit.why should they aasign the middle covers to left or ride side only? does not make much sense to me.

But I have seen more than once teams covering parts of the bodywork with cooling towels in parc ferme or coming back into the pits.I don´t think the bodywork and especially the paintjob like the hot exhausts ...maybe this way they can save the paintjob for the race...

They mark the main part of the tyre warmers LF, RF, RR and LR because the front and rear tyres are different widths and each tyre will have a specific temp target programmed into the warmer to achieve a particular tyre pressure. The Wheels are however the same diameter and front and back and as the front cover is passive they can be used front or rear.

They appear to have an unusual shape because the have been squashed into the L channel of the sidepods. They are circular and are Tyre Warmer Covers.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

spinmastermic

Coefficient wrote:
marcush. wrote:well these pads show clearly rh and lh side markings -but tyre blankets have DIFFERENT markings rr,lr,rf,lr so that does not fit.why should they aasign the middle covers to left or ride side only? does not make much sense to me.

But I have seen more than once teams covering parts of the bodywork with cooling towels in parc ferme or coming back into the pits.I don´t think the bodywork and especially the paintjob like the hot exhausts ...maybe this way they can save the paintjob for the race...

They mark the main part of the tyre warmers LF, RF, RR and LR because the front and rear tyres are different widths and each tyre will have a specific temp target programmed into the warmer to achieve a particular tyre pressure. The Wheels are however the same diameter and front and back and as the front cover is passive they can be used front or rear.

They appear to have an unusual shape because the have been squashed into the L channel of the sidepods. They are circular and are Tyre Warmer Covers.
The pads are there to prevent mechanics and others from being burned. The exhaust gets to 1000'C and car has to be inspected after the race.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Coefficient wrote: They appear to have an unusual shape because the have been squashed into the L channel of the sidepods. They are circular and are Tyre Warmer Covers.
Apart from being the wrong size, shape, material and embroidery you mean?

They're pads over the exhaust manifold.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Coefficient wrote:

Look at the area to the front of the red swash on the side pod – notice how the raised section of the U-pod flattens out. The area behind the red swash, where the blanket sits is flat. This blanket is not squashed into any L-channel.

I'm convinced that it is either to keep the mechanic's hands and/or the paintwork cool with hot exhausts under there.

mekanikal_grip
mekanikal_grip

Nico tested a dumbed down version of the exhaust in FP1 in Germany, MS used it during FP2 and both cars ran the system in the race.

As the article points out the "full" version will likely be used in Belgium.

I'm aware of two teams challenging the legality

michl420
michl420

The black pads are there for cool down the bodywork when the car ist not running. They bring it a few races ago when they reduce the size of the bodywork for better aerodynamic.

SiLo

Anyone got any better pics of the front wing pillars at high and low speeds from hungary? Seen one which didn't show too much and would like to see more.
Felipe Baby!

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

mekanikal_grip wrote:Nico tested a dumbed down version of the exhaust in FP1 in Germany, MS used it during FP2 and both cars ran the system in the race.

As the article points out the "full" version will likely be used in Belgium.

I'm aware of two teams challenging the legality
Two teams of different engine suppliers? Is this fully an engine feature as well, or will it require physical changes for McLaren to use it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)