Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

marcush. wrote:the one little bit missing here is:
Brawn made himself a rich man in this and deliberately sold Mercedes short for a lot of money.they clearly knew what was going to happen.
BTW ..hiring Schumacher saved Rosbergs career methink...just think what would have happened to his reputation if he constantly had outqualified Heidfeld but would not have scored wins..no question Schumacher is the reason why Mercedes cannot point towards the drivers for underperforming.

Schumachers comments himself being to relaxed to drive the team forward enough is on the other hand makes me worry about Rosbergs ability to do so.
- I have very little doubt that Daimler and Haug was taken by Brawn and his alleged success on a shoestring, which was false.

- Your point about Rosberg is very valid I think, without MS the blame had surely been on him, at least partly.

- I think MS is very polite, he wants out but he don't want to embarrass Mercedes, most professional I must say.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

with hindsight i have to confess Haug and Brawn are piloting this ship in a very interesting manner ...hard at the wind ,just enough to not get sacked but driving the forces in the correct direction ,using everything available ..like Schumacher..
Schumacher leading Rosberg and NOT Winning would have been the horror scenario,unbearable for Haug or Brawn .
Schumacher being beaten by Rosberg is diverting the slap from the media towards Schumacher...but still putting pressure toward Mercedes to increase funding ..clever clever...

and as for Schumacher quitting :what would that look like? Mercedes needs all people involved send out a message of confidence.
No doubt about it nobody would win in W02 or would have in w01,so surely the blame is not to be laid at Scumachers door.I think he wants to see a clear signal from Mercedes they still want him and he wants to see a clear sign of a turnaround.Ver y good to send out the message now when the new car is started...but somehow I feel he is talking more about 2013 not next year but clearly he would step down if next years car is again a p7 machine at best .

wunderkind
wunderkind

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:If Schumi does go, I think Mercedes ought to look very closely at what Kobayashi is doing at Sauber. Bringing an uncompetitive car home in the points and always putting up a fight.

Said it befoore and I'll say it again, Kobayashi in a Merc is a must.
I don't think Kobayashi has any chance of driving a Silver Arrow. Kobayashi is quite spectacular but I doubt he has the marketability that is required to attract media attention and corporate sponsorship.

Mercedes Benz has many talented young drivers in their DTM program and F3 drivers in Mercedes-powered teams to fill in the positions should they become available.

To me at least, Paul Di Resta is a better choice.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Di Resta is impressive I agree.

And you are right in saying he would be ahead of Koba if Mercedes were looking for another driver. But Kobayashi seems to mange to finish races while being combative on track, as well as very fast. These qualites are very rare together, and if he were more marketable I reckon he'd be a shoe in.

Shame really.
More could have been done.
David Purley

PlatinumZealot

I believe Sutil deserves his chance after years of "service" as a German driver in F1. DiResta is young he will get a top seat some time in the future.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:I believe Sutil deserves his chance after years of "service" as a German driver in F1. DiResta is young he will get a top seat some time in the future.
I'm pretty sure Sutil isn't going anywhere now. He's had a good few years of practice, and now has had his ass mostly handed to him by a relative novice.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Sutil has been faster than Di resta of late.
David Purley

beelsebob
beelsebob

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Sutil has been faster than Di resta of late.
Not really – DiResta had a few races where he got too eager... as new boys do sometimes. He also had some incredibly bad luck. I don't remember the last time that Sutil finished a race ahead of DiResta on pure pace.

marcush.
marcush.

come on.
Mercedes needs the next Schumacher -Vettel -to replace Michael .Where is the logic if you are out to win a Championship and sign potential winners? This is not Toro Rosso or Force India so only proven champion material is a go.
So the alternatives are:Hamilton,Alonso,Button,Vettel.full stop.
Only two drivers of recent times came into Formula 1 with a bang and fought for championships Hamilton and Villeneuve(who was already a seasoned race veteran when coming into F1).

xpensive
xpensive

As long as Mercedes don't have a potentially race-winning car, I find the question of MS' replacement rather academic.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ferraripilot

xpensive wrote:As long as Mercedes don't have a potentially race-winning car, I find the question of MS' replacement rather academic.

Very true. If Schu is gone next season and MB have a marked improved car that is making podiums regularly, I will bet anything that Vettel will head to MB by 2014. MB needs to show some real life in them before he comes though.

raymondu999

I honestly don't think Vettel will head there in 2014. For starters he has a contract covering him with REd Bull until the end of 2014, and we could see Newey's dominance rejuvenated in 2014 with the new packaging/wing regulations about to come in.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

What if Newey gets bored?

What if Mercedes start winning?
David Purley

raymondu999

Well Newey's signed until 2014 as well, and Merc (right now) are far away from a podium, let alone a victory.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

James Key left Force India whilst under contract, I understand Newey also had a year left under contract at McLaren before he left to join Jag.

I bet you if see the silver arrows winning by 2013 and Vettel will be sat snugly at Mercedes in 2014.
David Purley