Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

If JET is correct, which he has a habit of being at times, Mercedes GP is entering a restructuring phaze during the end of 2011,
which tells me from xperience that 2012 will be another year of transition for the team.

This is of course why MS signals his early departure, he was planning on challenging for victories by now, not the above.

Conclusively, Mercedes GP should be in good shape during 2013 and an attractive proposition for the top-drivers in 2014.

Given that the Stuttgart-suits are equipped with that kind of patience, but I'm sure they are JET?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

How many times will Brawn restructure the old BAR team...I don´t get this.
they have introduced Bob Bell as TD in april and he surely is now in the position to know what is missing and what is already in place .They surely work on next years contender and have biunned the whole concept of W02 .So another new gearbox ,maybe this time the full route towards RedBull and integration of the KERS into the design.Mercedes has the manpower to come up with this ambitous project and master what REDBULL has had so many difficulties to do.
My idea is :why not push as hard as you can with this and try to introdduce it already for the final 1 or two races? It would clearly stretch the car ,lower the CofG as the batterypack and MGU get new homes and the fueltank can occupy their old home ...presto ...and this ways they could see if their theory of a short car hampering their performance due to cofG height is really hurting them as much as they think.
The new rear end should as well highlight the deficiencies of the front giving good targets for winter development.

Hemsy
Hemsy

marcush. wrote:How many times will Brawn restructure the old BAR team...I don´t get this.
they have introduced Bob Bell as TD in april and he surely is now in the position to know what is missing and what is already in place .They surely work on next years contender and have biunned the whole concept of W02 .So another new gearbox ,maybe this time the full route towards RedBull and integration of the KERS into the design.Mercedes has the manpower to come up with this ambitous project and master what REDBULL has had so many difficulties to do.
My idea is :why not push as hard as you can with this and try to introdduce it already for the final 1 or two races? It would clearly stretch the car ,lower the CofG as the batterypack and MGU get new homes and the fueltank can occupy their old home ...presto ...and this ways they could see if their theory of a short car hampering their performance due to cofG height is really hurting them as much as they think.
The new rear end should as well highlight the deficiencies of the front giving good targets for winter development.
Making fundamental changes like the gearbox etc to the existing car would simply not be feasible. On the other hand what they can test is aerodynamic developments like wings, bargeboards etc. Bob Bell knows where the team is lacking which is why we're hearing of whole sale changes at the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the W03 is a radical departure from the existing car.

marcush.
marcush.

I really don´t think this was not feasible.
A gearboxdevelopment needs a lot of leadtime,so it is one of the first items yopu need to specify and bring on the road anyways.
The car has clear mechanical interfaces tub-engine-gearbox ,so unbolting the gearbox and installation of the new box is a straightforward job with the exception of the KERS cabling(integrated in the new job).So you need in addition :a filler plate for the floor to accompodate the grow in wheelbase.A new exhaust endpipe length and a cut and close modified gearbox cover.all things the saturday night special handcrafters in Brackley can easily perform.

So ,to me it is a clear yes we can situation .If someone is prepared to build a new tank for W02 ..yes it is extra cost and maybe the lead time for this would be a bit tricky as well but also possible.

But what is there to find fiddling around with bargeboards and wings if you are planning a whole new aero concept anyways and already plan to change the wheelbase of the car....all that is then for the bin as it will not translate to the new car.You could as well leave everything as is and hope for the best and try and find gold in the winter break...as they did last year and the years before.The base for the success of next year was laid in last winter.and this is giving me a bad feeling already.

Fil

Hemsy wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if the W03 is a radical departure from the existing car.
..which was a radical departure from the W01, which was a radical departure from the BGP001, which was a radical departure from the RA108..

They've been lost for a number of years now (even in their championship-winning season, as shown by their lack of development progress).

If another organisational reshuffle is in store, it can't possibly hurt them, can it?
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:James Key left Force India whilst under contract, I understand Newey also had a year left under contract at McLaren before he left to join Jag.

I bet you if see the silver arrows winning by 2013 and Vettel will be sat snugly at Mercedes in 2014.
I wonder if we'll ever see Vettel-Newey-Brawn in the same team. Sounds like the second coming to me :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MrBlacky
MrBlacky

As you can read everywhere it was a hoax that Schu wants to leave.

raymondu999

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:James Key left Force India whilst under contract, I understand Newey also had a year left under contract at McLaren before he left to join Jag.

I bet you if see the silver arrows winning by 2013 and Vettel will be sat snugly at Mercedes in 2014.
Interesting proposition though. Why do you figure Vettel-Mercedes? And who do you think his teammate will be? And you're saying Newey will retire? Or move to another team?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

Newey has done more weird things when nobody expected...but Mteschitz has dep enough pockets to retain him ..offering him to do this americas cup yacht perhaps?

Ferraripilot

raymondu999 wrote:

Interesting proposition though. Why do you figure Vettel-Mercedes? And who do you think his teammate will be? And you're saying Newey will retire? Or move to another team?
Why wouldn't Nico remain if the car were good? I could definitely see Nico and Vettel. They would have some titanic battles as I view them both as top of the top drivers.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote: Interesting proposition though. Why do you figure Vettel-Mercedes? And who do you think his teammate will be? And you're saying Newey will retire? Or move to another team?
Mercedes/Vettel will happen in the same way Schumacher/Mercedes did. Even if its at the tail end of his career I think Vettel will drive a Merc.
Haug admires him, Brawn has gushed over him in the past and its all a bit friendly.

Vettel/Rosberg would be the partnership as I think Rosberg will want to reap the benefits of doing hard time at Mercedes. This is of course hypthetical. Dependant on Mercedes being contenders by 2013/4. Rosberg my say "auf wiedersen" if Merc dont shape up and be off to a top 3 team.

Newey is being looked after, but I think the challenge of resuscitating Mercedes faltering bid maybe a good draw. He worked closely with Mercedes/Illmor back in his Mclaren days, so maybe he will want to go back to the good old times should Haug find a way to wean the man off Red Bull! I can see it now:
"Zis eisbein is wunderbar, adrien! Und you can only get it in ze silver motorhome"

@Xpensive
Who knows what will happen at Mercedes, I just hope they can keep focus and move forward. Their appetite depends on what we see in 2012, if they go further backwards...expect a withdrawal or a few heads rolling.
More could have been done.
David Purley

xpensive
xpensive

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: ...
@Xpensive
Who knows what will happen at Mercedes, I just hope they can keep focus and move forward. Their appetite depends on what we see in 2012, if they go further backwards...expect a withdrawal or a few heads rolling.
- If Daimler has recognized 2012 as another transition year, there's not much they can argue about next year's results is there?

- Newey is 52, has more money than he can ever spend, won more championships than any other designer and he has declared that Red Bull will be his last team in F1. He has basically nothing more to prove, I can see him retiring after the 2013 season.

- The future of Mercedes GP and any top driver's interest to join, will with very little doubt be based on the 2013 season.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Nah,

No other series can provide him the platform that F1 does with every rule pushed to the limit.
He may have a sabbatical a la Brawn, but Newey will be in F1 for a while yet methinks.

2012 for Mercedes will demonstrate what has been learnt. Brawn gave us tyres as an excuse in 2010, wheelbase for 2011 and now he will have an extra 150 odd staff for 2012 along with a couple of fancy new toys. Not to mention Bob Bell in control of things at Merc(cant see him signing off a comically short wheelbase with added weight in 2011).
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

newey had lost interest before ....and he has already aired that other engineering challenges would suit him after his time in formula 1.
Mateschitz is the perfect rich uncle to pay the horrendous bills.At this time I think Didi is more than willing to do that and if anything prevent him from going somewhere else..
But ..for Mercedes itis more a task of luring away some key people who can fill the voids emerging now at Mercedes.

I think Mercedes will have a very good level of component integration in the rear end of the car in 2012 and this will allow them to take the next step.

No question RedBull is facing a considerable problem for the next two years with KERS.
They surely have realised now that they need to put a lot of recources in this area as it will be more and more deciding the races as other technologies are understood and implemented .Mercedes no doubt will redesign their kers and emulate and top REDBulls example as they have the strength in depth to produce everything needed and make it work...something like mission impossible for RB.

JET..that wheelbase excuse is just a fake.We have not seen them setting the world on fire in qualy yet.So the car lacks speed in all situations.With low fuelloads the shape of the tank has no drawback so why don´t they setup the car to claim pole and let the drivers handle the first stint both of them do not shy away from a fight and are incredibly hard to overtake....if they believe their problem is the length of the car= cofG height ...they are lost for 2012 already.

xpensive
xpensive

For 2012 Brawn & Haug already have their xcuse in place, like JET xplained they are currently screening staff and organization for a restructure and integration of an additional 150 people, of course that will affect the team's 2012 performance?