Kubica's Recovery

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mr Alcatraz

Re: Kubica's Recovery

ringo wrote: Kubica got a guard railed shoved up his butt!! Raw iron to iron contact.
If Kubica comes back in 2012 he would be super man indeed!!!
Amen brother! :roll:
rsist wrote:What we can be sure of is that he is getting the best medical care possible,due to this and his fittnes level he is healing few times faster than a normal person would
Dude bro, he laid in a bed for months! Any amount of conditioning he had was lost due to atrophy as he was so jacked he could not significantly exercise any part of his body. Yes he's been super-fit and knows the threshold. But the dude has to be well enough to even find a part of his body that will allow him to do aerobic exercise (which by the way is the least of his concerns) The freakin’ guy could barely walk when he got out of the hospital. He is really up against it.
I wish him the best!
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 11 Aug 2011, 03:30, edited 4 times in total.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Fil

ringo wrote:Perez had no ripped off limbs or shattered bones. Perez in fact didn't even have a scratch compared to Robert.
Now if Perez accident is enough to render him unfit to that level required to race an F1 car competitve, keeping in mind he had no disfigurations like Robert. How in the world can a guy that went through hell in a coconut shell, be even close to driving an F1 car if another equally strong and fit driver couldn't muster the strenght after a little boo boo?
You're trying to compare a head injury to severe nerve damage?

Apples & oranges.

If you want to compare Perez's accident to Kubica's, you'll need to look at Canada 07. Kubica took 3wks to return then; Perez required 2wks for his 'little boo boo'.

But there is no doubt, nor argument from anyone, that you're right when you say,
ringo wrote:If Kubica comes back in 2012 he would be super man indeed!!!
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

rsist
rsist

Sure, you guys are right, he is going through hell, and there is still a long journey ahead, my point is that when we see him back, he will be 100% ready, if he says he will line up at the grid in 2012, i choose to believe him, thats it. Have a nice day, boys ;-)

Lurk

ringo wrote:This guy definitely aint driving in 2012.

The thumb alone is like a milestone, and people expect him to be popping down 5 gears in half a second with his middle fingers.

Give him till 2013.
News only talk about its middle finger, not its middle fingers.
"probably never recover entirely" doesn't imply he cannot drive F1 at his best level again. Maybe he will retrieve full finger speed until he close them at 80%, which is not a problem to gear up & down.

Without more details we cannot say where he will come back, if he will.
We can just hope and believe.

Ferraripilot

Lurk wrote:
ringo wrote:This guy definitely aint driving in 2012.

The thumb alone is like a milestone, and people expect him to be popping down 5 gears in half a second with his middle fingers.

Give him till 2013.
News only talk about its middle finger, not its middle fingers.
"probably never recover entirely" doesn't imply he cannot drive F1 at his best level again. Maybe he will retrieve full finger speed until he close them at 80%, which is not a problem to gear up & down.

Without more details we cannot say where he will come back, if he will.
We can just hope and believe.

By 'full recovery' of the middle finger, I am sure they grade movement they same way most physicians do when they are assessing disability percentages for workers compensation losses and the like.

The test in essence involves the patient flexing and bending the middle finger (or whichever of the four in question) to the palm of the hand and placing a predetermined amount of pressure on an instrument placed on the palm. If the middle finger on the healthy hand places for example 20lbs of pressure yet the other finger either a) cannot reach the palm of the hand but can assert a good amount of pressure, or b) can reach the palm of the hand but assert poor pressure.

For shifting in F1 for instance, I would take situation 'a' first as the finger does not need to move all they way to the palm. Not even close when shifting

PlatinumZealot

They can always give him automatic transmission right? Or was auto shifting banned?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Giblet
Giblet

There is nothing that says the paddles need to be on opposite sides. There is no reason why RK couldn't do all the up and down with his good hand, while using the less than perfect one to control DRS and what not.

As for shifting, that has always been a rule. The driver must select the gears himself.

THe thumb being a milestone can also be thought of as a beginning. Things start getting better exponentially after s certain point.

As I have said before, I have suffered similar injuries to RK on my arm, and needed similar surgery and similar physio, but I was lucky I was able to focus entirely on my hand and not learning how to walk as well.

My nerve damage I have left as is, because it was only the sensory nerves, so my forearm is completely numb on the top half. After my physio reached a certain point and since we knew how that the sensation was not improving, i was given the option of more surguries, but I declined.

RK will likely have some more nerves spliced together once they grow enough to redirect to other places. Nerves run in a sheath, and they act like an ingrown hair, not able to find its way.

I still think he is good stead, but the speculation doesn't do anyone any favours. Progress in physio can go a long time, and its pretty rare to give up this early and call it a day.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pieoter
Pieoter

Even if he couldn't move his finger enough to operate the paddle its not the end of the world.

Mick Doohan still rode motorbikes at the top level even though he couldn't move his ankle. What did Honda do? Give him a hand operated rear brake (usually done with the right foot).

spacer
spacer

I agree with Giblet, anyone doubting the fact RK can be competitive without his middle finger: take a look at Alex Zanardi...

FW17

spacer wrote:I agree with Giblet, anyone doubting the fact RK can be competitive without his middle finger: take a look at Alex Zanardi...
One can also look at Felipe Massa (Hungary 2009) and Ralf Schumacher (Monza testing 2003) for a change in competitiveness post major accidents

Donuts

I'm more worried about the ability of LRGP to design a competitive(championship wining) car than Robert Kubica's ability to overcome this accident and make a comeback. He's had really bad accidents before, so there is no need to compare to other drivers(good or bad examples), not really relevant. He sounds realistic enough about his situation(interview on LRGP's homepage), I belive he'll be back for 2012. Which team he'll be driving for, that's another matter...
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

ringo

May just follow the renault engine over to williams and take barichello's seat.
ie if he recovers.
For Sure!!

Donuts

ringo wrote:May just follow the renault engine over to williams and take barichello's seat.
ie if he recovers.
I would rather see him in Ferrari but only if he's 100%. Sooner or later he has to do some testing so people can get an understanding of his form. No one will sign him before that... I think...
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

Afterburner

According to Gerard Lopez Kubica won't be on the grid for 2012...

raymondu999

Actually AutoSport reports he's close to doing Simulator test runs
失败者找理由,成功者找方法