Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
donskar
donskar

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

Haug speaks, from autosport.com:
"With all respect and credit to them [RBR], it has taken time. We need to accept that it needs building up time.

"I'm not speaking about two years from now, but a longer period of time. If you achieve it [success] in less than five years without throwing money at it, which teams did in the past, then you are really very special."

When M-B decided to go into F1 directly, they should have and probably diddo a study, asking questions to determine what people thought of M-B as a leader in auto technology, performance, technical achievement, etc, etc. Periodically, they should be asking the same questions, to learn how their involvement in F1 has changed perceptions among the public. I did such programs long ago and far away. I'm glad I don't have to do them for M-B. I would think there is a good deal of perspiring (and preparing of resumes) going on among some of M-B's marketing and PR types. Debacle.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Point is marcush,

Pre November 2009 nothing was Mercedes-Benz. And if there is anything on the drawing board it won't have been mercedes.
The W02 is a mercedes because it was fully designed while under mercedes influence. Gestation periods last for around 6-12 months in f1. People can stab mercedes all they want, its a work in progress.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Morteza

Would Rosberg stay at Mercedes until they provide him with a capable car? That is my big question. I know Schumacher will go, but Rosberg has not won a GP in his career yet. Will he have the patience until Mercedes becomes successful? Now Haug says that we should wait more than two years to see them achieving success. Rosberg is in thirst for getting that first win. I don't think he cares about where he gets that. He is a pretty capable driver in need of a capable car, but hasn't achieved that since he has entered F1 in 2006. I honestly think Mercedes is ruining his chances.
Where this ship is headed and who the captain is has kept me wondering for so long.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Wether Rosberg goes or stays is neither here nor there in my view. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a driver. But there are others capable of doing as well that are already affiliated to mercedes(Di Resta).

The drivers cannot make up the difference. The lads in factory need to... And my suspicion is Bell has already sent a few packing.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Byronrhys

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Wether Rosberg goes or stays is neither here nor there in my view. Don't get me wrong, I like him as a driver. But there are others capable of doing as well that are already affiliated to mercedes(Di Resta).

The drivers cannot make up the difference. The lads in factory need to... And my suspicion is Bell has already sent a few packing.

The guys in his rookie season and already as good as Nico Rosberg...tsk.

I'd like to see Bell at the track for the second half of the season though.

@ Morteza: Theres no where for him to go and Mercedes is the Best team after the top three so he knows to be patient.

raymondu999

I think Mercedes' top 4 driver shopping list would read Rosberg Schumacher Vettel Hulkenberg; 2 are proven champions, and 2 are people who would definitely (at least) win a race in the right machinery. Vettel-Schumacher (if we conveniently forget Schumacher's 2010 and 2011 performances except for 2011 Canada) would be a great press item. I don't remember the last time such a super pairing was fielded. Not since Prost-Senna, anyways
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wunderkind
wunderkind

I think Nico has the potential of become the next Hakkinen. He needs to stay put with the Top Three teams occupied. The only possiblity I see is McLaren.............but even that is a long shot with Horner and Domenicali respectively saying Hamilton would be a very difficult addition to their teams. There might be a chance if Jenson Button decides to go elsewhere.

I think Bob Bell needs to stay home at Brackley and work his magic on the W03. I am not as pessimistic as some of you. I think Red Bull, McLaren, and Ferrari are still throwing everything at this year's Championship and their development of the 2012 car will be slow. This is the time where Bob Bell and his team must use effectively to catch up.

raymondu999

The next Hakkinen... in what way?

Development of 2012 cars will be slow, yes, but that won't matter much as 2012 will for the most part only see cars that are super-upgraded versions of the 2011 cars anyways
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

wunderkind
wunderkind

raymondu999 wrote:The next Hakkinen... in what way?

Development of 2012 cars will be slow, yes, but that won't matter much as 2012 will for the most part only see cars that are super-upgraded versions of the 2011 cars anyways
A late multiple World Champion.

raymondu999

Mind you, with Hakkinen we saw it from the off. He out qualified Senna in their first race together
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive
xpensive

xpensive wrote:As long as Mercedes don't have a potentially race-winning car, I find the question of MS' replacement rather academic.
And so is Rosberg's.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

wunderkind
wunderkind

raymondu999 wrote:Mind you, with Hakkinen we saw it from the off. He out qualified Senna in their first race together
Not really, Senna and his engineers did admit after the qualifying session Senna was not on full boil for his quali lap. But Senna was surprised Hakkinen was that quick and Senna made sure Hakkinen never got close again after.

Fil

xpensive wrote:
xpensive wrote:As long as Mercedes don't have a potentially race-winning car, I find the question of MS' replacement rather academic.
And so is Rosberg's.
Absolutely. At this stage, the drivers are merely off-track marketing machines.

xpensive wrote:The way I read this piece, Jabba the Haug is not admitting any mistakes whatsoever, it's more of a menu of xcuses and the comparison with Red Bull is wide off the mark.
RBR was the old Jaguar team, which was an utter mess never winning anything, while Mercedes took over the reigning WDC and WCC team.
The only difference between Jaguar F1 & BAR/Honda F1 teams was the bank balance. So in that respect, both Red Bull & Mercedes, were/are fixing much the same level of incompetence embedded into the teams' cultures.

That Brawn GP lucked into a WDC/WCC is not in any way indicative that the incompetence at Brackley had miraculously been solved.

So in that sense, i do feel for Haug's sentiment. They're trying to fix a team that has long been mismanaged, and the challenge is probably more grotesquely massive than what we saw Red Bull overcome with Jaguar.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Donuts

Fil wrote:
xpensive wrote:
And so is Rosberg's.
Absolutely. At this stage, the drivers are merely off-track marketing machines.

xpensive wrote:The way I read this piece, Jabba the Haug is not admitting any mistakes whatsoever, it's more of a menu of xcuses and the comparison with Red Bull is wide off the mark.
RBR was the old Jaguar team, which was an utter mess never winning anything, while Mercedes took over the reigning WDC and WCC team.
The only difference between Jaguar F1 & BAR/Honda F1 teams was the bank balance. So in that respect, both Red Bull & Mercedes, were/are fixing much the same level of incompetence embedded into the teams' cultures.

That Brawn GP lucked into a WDC/WCC is not in any way indicative that the incompetence at Brackley had miraculously been solved.

So in that sense, i do feel for Haug's sentiment. They're trying to fix a team that has long been mismanaged, and the challenge is probably more grotesquely massive than what we saw Red Bull overcome with Jaguar.
I have to agree, without the double diffuser, Red Bull would probably have beat them in 2009. To call it luck, I don't know, maybe luck that no one else thought about it. But it was a team that had been struggeling for years, why would they suddently become consistently the best team? There's something fundamentally wrong in Brackley and Mercedes Benz will have to sort it out beacuse Ross Brawn does'nt seem to have a clue(neither do I).
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

marcush.
marcush.

I´m really surprised .
Mercedes GP has a top notch tech director ,who has been more than this with Renault .He is not out of business for long and he certainly knows how to direct an orchestra of engineers in the size of Mercedes GP.
The Target is clear -they have to find a good percent of average lap time performance + what you expect others to be able to gain for next year.Ask the drivers where they lose out towards the opponents and you know where your areas of work are.Or is there even GPS data available for all cars
Just looking at the other car and copying details will surely not help enough.