McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
timbo
timbo

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

I have to only add that roll is not simply related to CofG height. The suspension geometry (roll center position) can be chosen such as that there's no roll with any CofG height.

raymondu999

I think it's clear in the last two races that the McLaren front end is absolutely mighty. It's a lot stronger in the slow corners and the turn-in and direction change in the slow speed corners is awesome. Does anyone know why this is? Or at least which parts contribute to this?

They showed a similar trait last year (especially in Turkey and Monaco) before they kind of lost their way on development and developed their way into a cul-de-sac
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Vasco

raymondu999 wrote:I think it's clear in the last two races that the McLaren front end is absolutely mighty. It's a lot stronger in the slow corners and the turn-in and direction change in the slow speed corners is awesome. Does anyone know why this is? Or at least which parts contribute to this?

They showed a similar trait last year (especially in Turkey and Monaco) before they kind of lost their way on development and developed their way into a cul-de-sac
snowplough?

raymondu999

Is it really an aero thing though? I mean, it's happening in all the slow corners.kme Monaco and Nurburgring T1
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Caito
Caito

Wiki says ~130 km/h, its own weight in downforce.

So, although they're low speed corners, a lot of downforce is still present.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

raymondu999

Willem Toet (ex Sauber man) did once say too that downforce did make balance differences even at slow corners such as the monaco hairpin
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Vasco wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I think it's clear in the last two races that the McLaren front end is absolutely mighty. It's a lot stronger in the slow corners and the turn-in and direction change in the slow speed corners is awesome. Does anyone know why this is? Or at least which parts contribute to this?

snowplough?
Could that snowplough be useful to them next year to get around the low nose regs?

raymondu999

I thought it would be less beneficial next year given that it's not going to be in direct airflow anyways?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Why shouldn't it be in direct airflow. The teams need as much air at the back of the car as possible therefore a high nose is preferable but this is banned now. So leave the nose high and have the snowplough further forward than the actual nose. Then that is the new nose tip to measure height from.

raymondu999

IIRC the low nose regs were done by measuring the top surface of the nose.

I've been thinking of their sharp turn in. I wonder; could it be more of a setup thing rather than a design thing? Playing with toe in/out, for example?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

raymondu999 wrote:IIRC the low nose regs were done by measuring the top surface of the nose.
What you mean the top surface of the nose, the top surface extends back to the cockpit which = full and current height. The nose tip has to be what counts or maybe the top surface at a point a certain distance behind the nose tip either way my idea still works.

beelsebob
beelsebob

MIKEY_! wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:IIRC the low nose regs were done by measuring the top surface of the nose.
What you mean the top surface of the nose, the top surface extends back to the cockpit which = full and current height. The nose tip has to be what counts or maybe the top surface at a point a certain distance behind the nose tip either way my idea still works.
He means that the end of the nose is taken by working down the nose cone until you find a bit that faces downwards. You get to the upper nose first, not the "nose" of the snow plough.

MIKEY_!

Oh right i gotcha, oh well back to the drawing board.

Richied76
Richied76

would i be right in thinking that the springless rear suspension is giving good slow speed turn in when coupled with there stiff front suspension set up.
This added to more rake and a flexing wing mount as seen in previous pics.
Then add in engine blown diffuser is shifting more downforce rearward so they can afford to slap on the snow plough on the front shifting aero ballance forward again to compensate. Also the low drag nature of the sidepods alowing the plough to not bolt on as much drag as predicted and lessen the effect of the extra DF drag.

So over all, good low and high speed front end, good mechanical grip, high drag compensated by sidepods and front biased aero ballance to suit the tires?

raymondu999

Springless rear suspension? How do you mean?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法