Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Williams FW33

I once had such a rear wing on the f1 car I drove to both championships in one of my dreams
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

we share a dream? :mrgreen: :wtf: :wtf:

Luckily I did not claim to have invented it..the weekend seems to be a good pavement for issuing lawsuits.

raymondu999

Looks like they brought two front wings. The inner edges of the wing, one is "feathered" a la Red Bull/Renault, one is "closed" a la McLaren
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

roadie

The bottom front wing in the page before is the old one. They always have a few of these outside the garage for some reason.

I believe the spoon rear wing wasn't raced in Canada because they went for a wet setup. This one has a lower drag level, so should only be suited for dry conditions.

marcush.
marcush.

I was obviously refferring to the new one you can see above the old one..

Tyler
Tyler

Why would Williams run such a large rear wing in Spa.
It seemed to really effect them on the straights.
Poor Williams - nothing they seem to bring to this car works.
I just don't understand why it's so slow - it looks like a decent car and with it's
tight rear doesn't seem that different a concept from the Red Bull.
Do they use the exhaust blowing with the Cosworth engines like the Renault and Merc cars?

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Tyler wrote:Why would Williams run such a large rear wing in Spa.
It seemed to really effect them on the straights.
Poor Williams - nothing they seem to bring to this car works.
I just don't understand why it's so slow - it looks like a decent car and with it's
tight rear doesn't seem that different a concept from the Red Bull.
Do they use the exhaust blowing with the Cosworth engines like the Renault and Merc cars?
That wing is actually a low downforce version seen in Canada, and originated by Mclaren at monza in 08 (think I may be wrong on that though). It just looks deceptively big because of camera angles etc.

raymondu999

The concept was certainly a McLaren pioneered concept, though the McLaren was never that extreme. Red Bull also last year used a similar concept (though, again, not as extreme) in Turkey and Canada. The idea is the central part is least affected by clean airflow anyways so would produce the least drag. Correct me if I'm wrong.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

The rear wing concept is aimed at energising airflow in the centre of the wing section, compared to the flow nearest the endplates.

Its the same thing Red Bull tried to achieve with the Sharkfin that connected with the rear wing in 2009
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

roadie

Simple really. The team obviously calculated that they were going to be fastest with the rear wing producing that level of downforce V drag. Looking at the car's pace versus the likes of Sauber, you'd have to agree they got it right, although it did mean it was vulnerable on the main straight.

raymondu999

Well it is a big thing this year though. Sam Michael alluded a while back that since there was DRS, everybody sets up for the best ultimate lap time (vs tyre preservation) because they can overtake, with DRS. He mentioned that in the past, they would go for the optimum lap time, then back the rear wing off slightly in order to let their drivers have more toped grunt with which to use in overtaking people
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

So the new ear wing wa sa success .they were quite quick down the straights and Ruby had 3rd quickest lap time in the race somehow they could not free themselves from the traffic...

roadie

The fast laptime was more to do with new tyres and low fuel at the end of the race!

All in all, I reckon Spa was a relatively good performance compared to what we've seen at some races.

ringo

the car is getting their.
For Maldonado to get a point at a track like Spa is saying something positive.

They still need to work on the tyre issues though. That's their biggest setback, just like mercedes.
For Sure!!

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

They were aided to that point though, with both Torro Rossa's and Lewis Out
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna