COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

WhiteBlue

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Race opponents have lost the first round of the lawsuit.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/jud ... 76022.html

Travis County State District Judge Rhonda Hurley ruled, without comment, that she would not issue a temporary restraining order halting the payment from the comptroller's Major Events Trust Fund to Circuit of the Americas.

Plaintiff's attorney Jennifer Riggs said state law gives taxpayers standing to sue only to prevent an illegal government payment. Once the money has been disbursed, then, her clients would no longer be able to bring a claim against the comptroller, she said.

"We're not certain, in light of the lack of support from the court, whether we're going to pursue the lawsuit," Riggs said.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

spinmastermic

Redmondo wrote:Have they considered hiring an American to get the entertainment/advertising aspect optimised? Maybe a nifty way to hype up the race would be an F1 gymkhana video ala Ken Block, whose videos have been viewed tens of millions of times.
Thats a great idea. We've all been waiting for years to see an F1 car drive upside down in a tunnel. Only problem is Block doesn't fit in the 09 Toyota.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Wow. There's a whole lot of ridiculous, silly, ignorant BS in this thread posted by people who really know nothing about Austin or about F1 in the U.S. I'm not trying to incite. There just IS. Here's one post, however, that I thought was interesting:
Lets be honest here, you cannot win over NASCAR fans (mass market of US Motorsport) with F1 circuit racing.
I would not be an F1 fan were it not for NASCAR. I grew up going to sprint car races at the little oval in West Memphis, Arkansas and watching NASCAR on tv every chance I got. My oldest auto-racing memories are of epic Petty/Pearson NASCAR battles and of now-legendary Sammy Swindell, then a mere teenager, ruling the dirt. I was exclusively a NASCAR fan into my 30s. Yes, I realize how much I missed out on in F1. Now I'm one of the biggest F1 fans around. I know other F1 fans who started out watching NASCAR as well, and many current NASCAR fans who have already said they can't wait for the opportunity to check out a Grand Prix here.

How do you reconcile all of this?

Anyway, I want to send out a tremendous "Thank You" to all of you who helped in ANY way in the battle against the very vocal minority in Austin. After this long grind it was pretty fantastic to be there to hear Mayor Leffingwell give the final vote tally. I think I can speak as well for Circuit of the Americas when I say that they thank you, too! Every little bit of effort that went into this made a huge difference in a process that was in doubt at times. It was definitely a team effort.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

OBTW...didn't see this posted. Hard to believe.

Official: Aussie V8 Supercars to Austin (five years starting in 2013).

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... l#comments

Holy ****.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

speedsense
speedsense

hairy_scotsman wrote:OBTW...didn't see this posted. Hard to believe.

Official: Aussie V8 Supercars to Austin (five years starting in 2013).

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... l#comments

Holy ****.
Awesome isn't it, horsepower city that Austin....

Up until around 1997, Road racing ranked above NASCAR in popularity and the number one race in the world, was the INDY 500. Champ car's demise was the open door that NASCAR got to take over the racing public.... I can very well see that tide returning to the USA eventually, and F1 will pioneer that route once again...
Webber is right, two F1 races in America would steal a lot of racing fans..
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

strad

two F1 races in America would steal a lot of racing fans..
Why do so many people see it as "either, or"?
Most race fans I know may have a series they follow primarily, but are aware of and watch many different series.
Do you think NASCAR fans don't sit up all night watching Le Mans?
Or that IndyCar fans won't/wouldn't watch F1. Do you really think the guy that goes to and watches ALMS or GT racing isn't going to jump at watching F1 live from the U.S.?
Anybody that thinks like that has to be kidding. Nobodys gotta steal anybody.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Giblet
Giblet

strad wrote:
two F1 races in America would steal a lot of racing fans..
Why do so many people see it as "either, or"?
Most race fans I know may have a series they follow primarily, but are aware of and watch many different series.
Do you think NASCAR fans don't sit up all night watching Le Mans?
Or that IndyCar fans won't/wouldn't watch F1. Do you really think the guy that goes to and watches ALMS or GT racing isn't going to jump at watching F1 live from the U.S.?
Anybody that thinks like that has to be kidding. Nobodys gotta steal anybody.
+1.

When I attend Austin next year, I might find a NASCAR race to check out as I've never been to one while slowly driving back to Ontario.

NASCAR oval races are more like regular sporting events like baseball or football. YOu can see the whole race, the whole time you are there. I don't think people understand as a spectator they are completely different events. You need to be more of a fan to enjoy f1 at a track, as you can usually only see a small section of the track and end up watching it all on a giant TV anyway. A casual observer can get more out of a NASCAR oval race than an F1 race at the track.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

donskar
donskar

Yesterday's Houston Chronicle reported that the Austin organizers are asking for a November date, since June is very hot here -- 100 degrees+ F.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

peteskar

Has any one heard any rumors on Austin ticket prices?
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

dren

donskar wrote:Yesterday's Houston Chronicle reported that the Austin organizers are asking for a November date, since June is very hot here -- 100 degrees+ F.
Good! I was worried it was going to be hot as helllllll
Honda!

HampusA

I can´t wait for this, it should be a downright spectacular track.
One of the best in the world and i haven´t even driven om it.

From what i´ve seen it´s looks absolutely sensatinal in it´s layout.
I look forward to this and the Dehli GP track.
The truth will come out...

donskar
donskar

Supposedly, it is now official -- Austin in November. And there goes my free accomodations . . .
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ecapox

Wow. The elevation change looks wonderful. I really cant wait to see this. I think it will be an amazing track.

dren

The layout looks amazing, it really reminds me of Spa a bit. I can't wait for the race next year!
Honda!