Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes GP W02

They added a fin to the front wing second element. I suppose that assist in directing the air up and over the wheels?

marcush.
marcush.

is that wing is not fully assembled ?the cover for the adjuster is missing but it shows more clearly where the flow is channelled aimed by the adjuster shroud.
compare:

No you are right ,the fin is aimed more towards the outside of the car it ends higher up.So new detail here and shroud deletetd.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Is it me, or is there something fun going on at the bottom of the pylons – do we think Merc might be introducing the same kind of flex McLaren did at Canada?

marcush.
marcush.

beelsebob wrote:Is it me, or is there something fun going on at the bottom of the pylons – do we think Merc might be introducing the same kind of flex McLaren did at Canada?
would that be useful? Mercedes front wing bended and lost Aof A and a copy of MCLs wingsupport behaviour would lead to evenmore loss of AofA?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

marcush. wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Is it me, or is there something fun going on at the bottom of the pylons – do we think Merc might be introducing the same kind of flex McLaren did at Canada?
would that be useful? Mercedes front wing bended and lost Aof A and a copy of MCLs wingsupport behaviour would lead to evenmore loss of AofA?
I don't think they lost that much AoA. This should work well with it.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Byronrhys

marcush. wrote:
This effect could create understeer so maybe they could be using it to balance out the car improving drivability a problem which it seems to have and shed some of the d/f this wing brings at high speed for Spa.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Guys any news about the bagpipe exhaust which Mercedes have said to be test. It is said to be a simpler version of the octopus exhaust & will give them atleast 2 tenths of a second.

I do expect the gap to come down to about 0.7-0.8 of a second odd in qualifying which was more than 1 sec+ in the last couple of races simply because of the low downforce nature of the circuit & because of our DRS system.

dren

Mr.S wrote:Guys any news about the bagpipe exhaust which Mercedes have said to be test. It is said to be a simpler version of the octopus exhaust & will give them atleast 2 tenths of a second.

I do expect the gap to come down to about 0.7-0.8 of a second odd in qualifying which was more than 1 sec+ in the last couple of races simply because of the low downforce nature of the circuit & because of our DRS system.
Woah...bagpipe exhaust? You sure you don't mean Mclaren? I haven't heard anything about exhaust upgrades.
Honda!

marcush.
marcush.

I heard ´Mercedes has a new Exhaust on the car and it was described as nice looking new feature ,unfortunatelly I could not see the TV pictures..

wesley123
wesley123

xpensive wrote:
ForMuLaOne wrote: ...
Yo Tommy, you are part of it. No need for Xtraordinary comments on people who won`t go off topic. Last 5 pages were total rubbish, off topic and a result of pure boredom.
O'boy, the forum has been gifted with a brand new post- and topic-anaysist, perhaps you should make a run for moderator,
I hear you can do that as soon as you have passed six months of membership and 50 registered posts of your own?
Auch!
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ferraripilot

Looks like W02 is running a good amount more rake.

dren

Ferraripilot wrote:Looks like W02 is running a good amount more rake.
Do you have any pics? I wasn't able to watch practice. Looks like the pace is still similar relative to the competition. Force India is a real threat.
Honda!

Ferraripilot

dren wrote:
Do you have any pics? I wasn't able to watch practice. Looks like the pace is still similar relative to the competition. Force India is a real threat.

I caught second practice this morning and managed to freeze frame a few key shots on the tele of W02 in HD. Compared to the last race, there is definitely a bit more rake. Sorry I have no screens. MB has stated they need to understand the exhaust a bit more and I am sure this has something to do with the change.

raymondu999

Doesn't look much to me.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

the pics of the WO 2 are at low speeds ,right? otherwise they have lost their front wing flex somewhere..

Oh boys ...I really loved BAR as a team .I loved Brawn and I love Schumacher ...but this winter my wishes certainly got the better of me and reality is hard to bear....X and Seg were right when i did not want to accept the harsh reality.