McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

What happened to the super sharp/hard front, soft rear thing they had going. Not that that was stopping Button from locking up... The harder front should lessen the porpoising.

raymondu999

Im no suspension expert, but shouldn't a hard front suspension setup make it less compliant, and make it ride te bumps stiffer?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Sorry I assumed the porpoising was down to an aero thing

Banki
Banki

I'm worry about Hamilton's car. Can they repair his car completely? :roll: :roll:

marcush.
marcush.

MIKEY_! wrote:What happened to the super sharp/hard front, soft rear thing they had going. Not that that was stopping Button from locking up... The harder front should lessen the porpoising.
The harder you go the more work is transferred into the tyres think in extremes -solid front suspension all vertical movement is either soaked up by the tyre sidewall (mainly undamped)or flex...
so if you get a frequency of excitation in your usual driving envelope without damping this will lead to some sort of oscillation ....porpoising or strong vertical movements -underdamped-the amplitude is huge but as the car is changing variables quickly and the issue seems to be only under certain conditions (not on the straight at constant speed)it appears and disappears quickly enough to give the drivers a chance to drive through the phenomenom by the looks of things...like a imbalance in the wheels..sort of.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Banki wrote:I'm worry about Hamilton's car. Can they repair his car completely? :roll: :roll:
From what I gather from the F1 website, the only damage was the suspension got knocked slightly out of line, which I think that they can change under parc-ferme if it's damaged but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Banki
Banki

ajdavison2 wrote:
Banki wrote:I'm worry about Hamilton's car. Can they repair his car completely? :roll: :roll:
From what I gather from the F1 website, the only damage was the suspension got knocked slightly out of line, which I think that they can change under parc-ferme if it's damaged but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Thank you. :?
I think if they can't repair it completely they would have complained it

MikeFromCanada

The F1 Parc Ferme Regs state "repair of any genuine accident damage", so they will be fine to repair it.

Interestingly they also allow for "aero adjustment of the front wing", so long as it's the same wing used in qualifying. Never knew that before :)

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Jenson Button's endplate flexing @ Spa

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

It's not flexing, it's broken from the first corner collision, a force india went into the back of him.

Banki
Banki

ajdavison2 wrote:It's not flexing, it's broken from the first corner collision, a force india went into the back of him.
:))))
Hamilton said they had too much downforce :cry: :cry:

beelsebob
beelsebob

Banki wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:It's not flexing, it's broken from the first corner collision, a force india went into the back of him.
:))))
Hamilton said they had too much downforce :cry: :cry:
Pretty interesting given that they were running their mega-skinny rear wing... Problems for monza?

Poleman

Downforce...Easier to remove it if its there than adding it.I think they will learn from this and they will be just fine in Monza.They took risk on setup counting on 50-50 conditons or wet.The amount of downforce cant be explained otherwise.

ringo

The funny thing is, this shows how less aerodynamically efficient this car is than the redbull.

What were the best sector times in the high downforce sections at spa for this car vs the redbull on the same tyres?
Do we get ape speeds for this year?

I believe redbull had more downforce than the 26 today, but still had the top speed.

Lift to drag ratio of the redbull is better then if it's the case.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

Poleman wrote:Downforce...Easier to remove it if its there than adding it.I think they will learn from this and they will be just fine in Monza.They took risk on setup counting on 50-50 conditons or wet.The amount of downforce cant be explained otherwise.
I think beelsebob's point was, how much skinnier can they make the wing when it's already so skinny? McL (and Red Bull, it has to be said) are running so little wing it looks that when their DRS is open, there's no part of the wing that goes vertical. So how much more can they trim for Monza?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法