Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Callum

Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

Just a quick thing, I wanted to see what other people thought.

Did L.H black out after his crash? He was very still after it and didn't seem to be on the brakes as he came to a rest. The only thing being is that it seems that his hands were up at his chin - maybe meaning he was actually conscious?

He also didn't seem to recollect who he had hit after his incident.

Any ideas?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdo-3oz5a8[/youtube]

Watch around 0:13 to 0:45

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

I think the second impact was enough to knock him out .Not a severe blow but I think it´s like in boxing get a hit and the second one is blowing out the candle no matter how hard you are hit then.

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Whitmarsh said he was concious in the bbc forum after the show (on the red button), and that he was just still because he was so disappointed and dejected, weather he was just saying this to reassure the media is something I suppose we will never know.

spacer
spacer

I thought the exact same thing while watching the replays, he looks to be KO after the first inpact.
Don't really believe Whitmarsh, even when utterly disappointed everyone would hit the brakes to avoid having a second impact imo.

astracrazy
astracrazy

he must be his head doesn't move from the moment we see the on board. He make no attempted to avoid the 2nd impact. and its a good few seconds, or until after the steward touches him.

Lewis was annoyed at Singapore last year, if whitmarsh was telling the truth then I would expect to see the same sort or angry movements. Clenching fists, bang the steering wheel etc etc. Not just sit that motionless for a good 10 secs.

Steven
Owner

Well it would have been interesting to have onboard from when he was still on track. Perhaps that would explain and show when he removed his hands from the steering wheel.

I also have the impression that he pulled up his knees to retract his feet from the pedals, trying to avoid breaking his foot if the front of the cockpit got protruded or something.

Well the guy is ok now, I guess that's what matters most.

smellybeard
smellybeard

He certainly sounded subdued and a little disjointed during his BBC interview.

flynfrog

Id say hes out cold

ilspazzaneve
ilspazzaneve

There is no question, he was unconscious for 20 seconds.

See the stewards reaction - they turn back and signal the medical/supervisory steward. He calls Charlie and signals the safety car since LH was non-responsive.

This was not, otherwise, a safety car concern, the car was not in a dangerous position on the track.

I am surprised it was not picked up on by the BBC. I was very scared when I saw his helmet lifeless.
astracrazy wrote: Lewis was annoyed at Singapore last year, if whitmarsh was telling the truth then I would expect to see the same sort or angry movements. Clenching fists, bang the steering wheel etc etc. Not just sit that motionless for a good 10 secs.
Best analysis above. Ever seen Hamilton just sit there and reflect after an incident? Me neither.

smellybeard
smellybeard

So, are there implications for Hamilton's Medical fitness certification then?

F1PuertoRico
F1PuertoRico

In the interview lewis said that he doesnt remember what happened, thats the first sign of unconciusness.

Giblet
Giblet

Suddenly 'waking up' then standing and properly extracting yourself from the car while having the presence of mind to deal with the steering wheel and walk away with perfect balance were not the actions of someone who was just knocked out.

I'm not ruling it out, but sometimes people deal with rage by doing nothing.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

bhall
bhall

Briefly OT: What is it that Hamilton removes from the cockpit after he removes the steering wheel?

spacer
spacer

Centre piece of his seatbelt?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Giblet wrote:Suddenly 'waking up' then standing and properly extracting yourself from the car while having the presence of mind to deal with the steering wheel and walk away with perfect balance were not the actions of someone who was just knocked out.
I was "first on scene" at a road accident once. Car had hit a railway bridge pier. Both occupants unconscious. The driver woke up fairly quickly, looked around, undid his seat belt before trying to get out of the car. It was only the fact that his leg bent 45deg sideways halfway below his kneee that stopped him going any further. The passenger remained unconscious for several minutes and took a long time to come round once he started to wake up. He hadn't been wearing a seatbelt.

I think it depends on the person and the severity of the impact that rendered them unconscious as to how long they're out and how they recover.

We need to remember that racing drivers have lots of crashes in their careers and self-extraction is probably almost instinctive. Hamilton may not even have realised he was getting out of the car even whilst he was doing it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.