Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Re: Mercedes GP W02

You guys forget that F1 Development is also a gamble.

You do not want to show your cards too early, especially if you feel you are onto a potential development. otherwise a team such as McLaren will Throw their resources at your concept and churn out their own take on it.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Mr.S
Mr.S

Well about the breaking bit they have nowhere near the downforce Red Bull has. I wonder if it all is due to the wheelbase. I just thing that they have not optimised the exhaust blown diffuser or bring modification to sidepods or rear wings to get more downforce.

I dont know but it feels really stupid blaming it all on the wheelbase. The Wheelbase alone is responsible for 2 & 1/2 seconds in qualifying. I dont think so.

Monza will be a similar story. Theoretically it is supposed to Mercedes' best track but they will loose a massive amount of time through corners like parabolica. I guess qualifying 0.8-0.9 seconds behind should be the best possible scenario. That is where we were in Montreal which leads me to believe that I dont think they were on a particular wet set-up in Montreal cause in that case Force India with their massive straightline speed would have surely overtaken us is qualifying.

marcush.
marcush.

forget the keep your cards to the chest thing..Who would even look at Mercedes for performance bits to be copied ? (FI and lotus ,maybe.. :mrgreen: ).
seriously ...they held back the exhaust longer than anyone but apart from HRT nobody snapped up the idea even if it was easy to copy..
A long wheelbase is nothing anyone would evenneed to copy...
same with a more coventional radiator config. Stop talking start to do something to master the turnaround.
Schumacher will be happy to drive the Frankenstein W02B

Mr.S
Mr.S

They should had the new exhaust before the start of the European leg. Seriously could they not notice that they got nowhere the downforce other teams did.

I remember last year they changed the wheelbase twice in like 2 races. Ofcourse it could be complex but they could not attempt a different wheelbase in 2-3 months????

Atleast they could have seriously understood how much they are loosing because of their wheelbase & how much because their car is a dog. But I guess Merc just want to land all the blame on the wheelbase.

yener

Last weekend Ross Brawn told in a interview that some stuff on their car didn't work out as they want.
He told most of the things we can changed easily during the season like the chasis. So i think he meant that they are not running on the short wheelbase anymore?

Trying to found a source..
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Mr.S
Mr.S

They are running on a SWB. You can see it from a distance . VERY EASILY.

marcush.
marcush.

For whatever reason they had that Race in China when Rosberg sudenly was able to run at the front on merit .I think they really fooled themselves into thinking the car was going to come good because of that race.
Obviously it was fueled short -a lot shorter than the others.
RedBull had a massive increase in fuel consumption due to The hot blowing (around 10%) so ,maybe Mercedes used even moire of that ...and it´s something of a fuel tanksize issue combined with the high Cof G when run filled up that makes them try to reduce the fuelload and forces them to turn down the engien later on.

btw ..Schumacher told he was using less fuel than Rosberg since day one all the time at Mercedes and has no idea how come.

Mr.S
Mr.S

I dont know about the fuel usage date of MSC vs Nico. Never heard about that. Cant comment.

I dont know how that translates into speed either.

raymondu999

Schumacher was always good at saving fuel. I remember a race a while back where he was using techniques from sportscar racing to get more laps out of his fuel load.

Rosberg wasn't there on pace. It was on strategy. He pitted some 5 or 6 laps before the McLarens or Vettel and got a beautiful undercut in the meantime
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr.S
Mr.S

He is not too bad in preserving tyres. His race pace is good. He has never this season experienced masssive tyre wears causing problems. He has had longer stints than Mclaren & Ferrari somtimes. SO i dont buy that argument that he would have been completely outshines by Rosberg is the saving tyres aspect.

chillah
chillah

you can see the wing of W02 flexing when Schumacher overtakes the 2 virgins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGOZ0SVE ... ture=feedu" target="_blank

mep

chillah wrote:you can see the wing of W02 flexing when Schumacher overtakes the 2 virgins.

Thanks for that video. Here the car even seems to be a very good one but its probably just the man behind the wheel. I think its possible to notice the lag of downforce. On some corners he has to lift the throttle a lot. Has anybody noticed the smooth sound of the engine. Very nice.

Ferraripilot

mep wrote:
chillah wrote:you can see the wing of W02 flexing when Schumacher overtakes the 2 virgins.

Thanks for that video. Here the car even seems to be a very good one but its probably just the man behind the wheel. I think its possible to notice the lag of downforce. On some corners he has to lift the throttle a lot. Has anybody noticed the smooth sound of the engine. Very nice.

Michael certainly has a handle on how to negotiate traffic during an F1 race. I have never seen anything like it the way he threads his way through the mess. If W02 has a strong point, it's the ability to obtain top speed before any other. It's very quick in a line.

marcush.
marcush.

strong " 20 anniversary "engine.3litre swept volume. :mrgreen:

Michael is just serene in traffic very opportunistic and you can see him having all in sight .I ´d love to be in his team ,no question he is one hell of a racer.
I bet the guy who did that rear wheel wrong was kicking his ass the whole night...

The apparent lack of downforce is maybe more a lack of grip due to the use of the prime tyre?

Mr.S
Mr.S

Well then how to you explain them being so behind with the soft tyre as well & having less downforce considerably than all other top teams.

The more i look at it,the more i dont buy this high cog crap.Yea maybe the SWB is costing them a few tenths. But 1-1.5 seconds per lap,really???

There is something horribly wrong with W02. Maybe they have got very little idea how EBD works,which is a very scary prospect because most of the season is already over & W02 does not seem to get any FASTER . The more I look at W02,the more i feel sad. Rosberg will get stuck in here till he is 30 odd & then will get a call from an average team & be given 1 year contracts like Webber saying he is too old for multiple year contracts.

& MSC a 7 time champion will not even get a podium in 3 years of his comeback even though he has worked his a** off 42 years of age. VERY SAD for the drivers.