Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
beelsebob
beelsebob

Re: Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

Just_a_fan wrote:I think it depends on the person and the severity of the impact that rendered them unconscious as to how long they're out and how they recover.
Not just recover, but also, concussion can make you do both very odd and very normal things. I'm very surprised the Marshals didn't grab him immediately, to stop him doing something bug nuts.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Giblet wrote:Suddenly 'waking up' then standing and properly extracting yourself from the car while having the presence of mind to deal with the steering wheel and walk away with perfect balance were not the actions of someone who was just knocked out.

I'm not ruling it out, but sometimes people deal with rage by doing nothing.
Or play like actors ...
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Giblet
Giblet

Just_a_fan wrote: I was "first on scene" at a road accident once. Car had hit a railway bridge pier. Both occupants unconscious. The driver woke up fairly quickly, looked around, undid his seat belt before trying to get out of the car. It was only the fact that his leg bent 45deg sideways halfway below his kneee that stopped him going any further. The passenger remained unconscious for several minutes and took a long time to come round once he started to wake up. He hadn't been wearing a seatbelt.

I think it depends on the person and the severity of the impact that rendered them unconscious as to how long they're out and how they recover.

We need to remember that racing drivers have lots of crashes in their careers and self-extraction is probably almost instinctive. Hamilton may not even have realised he was getting out of the car even whilst he was doing it.
Of course, but for the most part, people don't react logically when they come around. The example you cited showed someone who did not have presence of mind as they ran away on a busted leg in full-on fight or flight mode. The seatbelt was an obstacle to be overcome.

My reaction after a major accident where I broke the windshield with my face was to open the door, stroll across the intersection,and lie down on the sidewalk where I then passed out. Must have been a gory site for onlookers, being 9 or so at the time.

If he was knocked out, and he's fine, he likely won't admit it so we won't know for sure. Otherwise Charlie would be involved, and we would be hearing about clearance for the next race.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Jeffsvilleusa

It looks like he was knocked out to me because he didn't brake when rolling towards the red wall where the car came to rest. But he did seem to benefit from the HANS device in that instance because if he was unconscious as it appeared, he did't brace for the last impact and he could have experienced another bad jolt to his head or neck.

You can see him slowly come around at :35 on the clip, then it's like he's moving in slow motion.
Box! Box!

strad

As I said...

I truly believe that if asked, and he did lose consciousness, he would lie about it. He would not want to admit that because then he would have to be tested and perhaps miss the next race..
"Knocked out? Why no...I was just resting."
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

I wonder. Do they still have those angles where you're looking from the dashboard towards the driver's helmet? if only we could get our hands on a piece of footage from that angle.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Federico
Federico

In this video the angle is not very good, I saw the incident from another prospective and the the hit into the guard rail was very very heavy... the front crash structure is completely destroyed! No doubt lewis was unconscious after the first crash...

Ray

Giblet wrote:Suddenly 'waking up' then standing and properly extracting yourself from the car while having the presence of mind to deal with the steering wheel and walk away with perfect balance were not the actions of someone who was just knocked out.

I'm not ruling it out, but sometimes people deal with rage by doing nothing.
He made no indication that is visible to the marshal that he was okay. The marshal immediately signaled to someone and the SC was called out immediately. Afterwards he didn't mention Kamui by name as the person he hit and didn't name him until after he had seen the replay. He was clearly unconscious. No driver with their wits about them will voluntarily hit another barrier without trying to avoid it, even Kimi pushed the tires off him after spearing into them at Monza a few years back. Lewis was out, or very very close. Recovery from being knocked out or very close differs from person to person. You see that in professional boxing all the time. Some guys can recover instantly and still defend themselves intelligently and others can't.

I was very scared when I saw that replay because he made no move after the marshal touched him, and the safety car was out when the car was well out of danger. The marshal had physical contact with Lewis with no reaction and on Speed they weren't showing any accident footage (I assume the world feed did that worldwide), just remarking that he had hit the wall and all three commentators said that they SC didn't really need to be out because the car was well off the road. Having an accident at the end of the straight, coming back abruptly from commercial break and then not showing the scene made me very worried he'd been hurt.

ilspazzaneve
ilspazzaneve

If these guys are fitter than a world class boxer, I'd believe it - many will interview minutes after getting KO'd.
Giblet wrote:I'm not ruling it out, but sometimes people deal with rage by doing nothing.
^^^Are we even talking about Lewis...?

Guys, you saw the safety car call...the car was NOT in a dangerous position on the track. When the marshalls got close enough to look at him, they panicked and turned to their boss/medical marshall who got on the radio to Charlie. By the time they turned back around, he was conscious but the Safety Car call was already made.

What we aren't exploring is that is Hamilton quick thinking enough to fake being unconscious, and thus SC, for strategy...? I don't think the SC really worked out for McLaren but it usually is detrimental for the front runner, at the time Seb or Alonso... I forget.

raymondu999

What really stopped my heart then and there is that the martial nudged him and his head seemed strangely compliant.

@Frederico - The crash structure is supposed to get destroyed. That way, the energy of the crash goes into destroying the crash structure and not harming the cockpit and or driver
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ray

Giblet wrote: Of course, but for the most part, people don't react logically when they come around.
Friendly question. Have you by chance watched any professional MMA fights? I've seen many fights where one guy was hit hard enough to buckle his knees and their eyes go dead, then recover the instant their knuckles hit the mat and hit the other guy hard enough to knock him out cold. All within 10 seconds of the initial hit.

Lycoming
Lycoming

For sure he was at least winded, that was a big shunt. Front crash structure did its job, as it pretty much no longer exists. I was actually expecting a bit more deformation, but I suppose what was left was the start of the driver safety cell. I think he was very briefly unconscious, or badly winded. I can understand not moving around AFTER coming to a complete stop, but hands off the wheel and not braking while the thing drifted towards the tire wall? I dont think that was entirely voluntary

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Ray wrote:
Giblet wrote: Of course, but for the most part, people don't react logically when they come around.
Friendly question. Have you by chance watched any professional MMA fights? I've seen many fights where one guy was hit hard enough to buckle his knees and their eyes go dead, then recover the instant their knuckles hit the mat and hit the other guy hard enough to knock him out cold. All within 10 seconds of the initial hit.
I actually do MMA, and have been knocked out once or twice, I can tell you that you don't remember the actual knockout, and when you wake up it's like waking from a deep sleep.

Ray

ajdavison2 wrote: I actually do MMA, and have been knocked out once or twice, I can tell you that you don't remember the actual knockout, and when you wake up it's like waking from a deep sleep.
Which is why I believe he was knocked out. He didn't know who was involved until after he saw a replay. Thanks for your insight too, I've not been knocked out before but I've come very close a few times.

wesley123
wesley123

ajdavison2 wrote: I actually do MMA, and have been knocked out once or twice, I can tell you that you don't remember the actual knockout, and when you wake up it's like waking from a deep sleep.
You do MMA too?

It is correct there what you say, You remember the moment just before you go KO, but the actual impact is something you dont remember. You feel like you have been in coma afterwards.

With a 290kph impact into a bare barrier I have no doubt that Hamilton had been unconcious for a short moment, as was witnessed by him not standing on the brakes going into the tire wall further off track.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender