Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
smellybeard
smellybeard

Re: Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

andyjones wrote: 4.
The dear chap seemed a little confused in his post race interview, which can sometimes be indicative of mild concussion
Yes, that was what first suggested it to me. The way the interview ended suggests that those around him realized he was not running on eight cylinders.

Shades of Martin Brundle in Monaco.

myurr
myurr

andyjones wrote:Having marshalled for about 10 years (ages ago!!) and followed the sport for more years than I care to remember I think LH might well have been "out" for just a few moments, because:

The brakes did not appear to being applied at the end of the accident; he rolled fairly slowly to a halt, but was stopped by the second thing he hit

His head was lying over to one side and motionless after the vehicle stopped

The attending marshal took one look at him and as I recall summoned immediate medical assistance (exactly what I would have done)

The dear chap seemed a little confused in his post race interview, which can sometimes be indicative of mild concussion
Can you confirm if the FIA has procedures in place for marshalls having to report on the medical conditions as they found them after the crash - i.e. if the driver was unconscious.

I'd be amazed if they did not have something in place at F1 levels. But then I'm amazed at the number of people on this board who think that a driver losing consciousness in a crash would escape the FIAs notice or that the team would actively conspire to cover it up.

beelsebob
beelsebob

myurr wrote:Can you confirm if the FIA has procedures in place for marshalls having to report on the medical conditions as they found them after the crash - i.e. if the driver was unconscious.

I'd be amazed if they did not have something in place at F1 levels. But then I'm amazed at the number of people on this board who think that a driver losing consciousness in a crash would escape the FIAs notice or that the team would actively conspire to cover it up.
Personally I was pretty amazed that the marshal prodded Hamilton's head to find out if he was okay – surely the first rule they'll be told is "if you think a driver is seriously injured, DO NOT MOVE THEIR HEAD AT ALL"

myurr
myurr

Another reason I think he was winded and looked in pain but was conscious...

Callum

Obviously the FIA are not stupid but should they be doing anything to check that he is ok for the next race in two weeks?

strad

The master cylinders were fine and behind the crash structure...I can't find a clear pic just now, but ya darn sure would not want them ahead of it.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Florio
Florio

I play sports reguarly, and have been KO'd twice while playing football. I recieved a shot to my temple at near point blank range at both occasions. I wasn't out for long, the first time I literally hit the ground, and woke up within a second of hitting it. I got up immediately, remembering chasing after the ball and walked off of the pitch to get checked over.

Not every KO leaves people behaving irrationally, or temporarily weakened. On both occasions I was slow to carry out alot of things immediately after I went, which is similar to Lewis, not getting out of the car. Although it is also standard procedure to remove the hands from the wheel, it is rather odd he didn't slow the car down at least.
Like others has mentioned too, he was confused and had to use a replay to find out who he crashed into, and what actually happened.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 701124.stm - theres an onboard of Lewis' crash too there.

I think it was a brief KO.

piast9 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:I think he was koed from the polystyrene advertising thing...
He might be. I remember a race at old Hockenheim many years ago when some driver hit the styrofoam blocks that were put at the entry to the stadium section at the full speed and was in a lot of pain because of that. That blocks were lifted by the front of the car and hit the driver in the head.
Could be onto something there, not only does he hit the barrier hard, the styrofoam sign seems to get him square on the side of the head in the photo above. Also about removing his hands from the wheel, some do some dont, going back to the accident he had at the nurburgring in 2007, he kept his hands on the wheel until the car had stopped. The only reason you remove your hands is to avoid injury, and hes finished crashing/spinning when his hands fall off the wheel in this instance. Makes no sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11R56oSBQo&NR=

thelimey
thelimey

I was at the taping of TV show that'll go out on Saturday in the UK (Jonathon Ross Show) which had Lewis Hamilton as a guest. I'm not sure if any of this will be cut but he was asked about the Spa crash & I believe Lewis replied that me may have blacked out for a second, he also mentioned that his neck was still sore from the crash but was looking forward to the next race despite his recent record there.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

010010011010 wrote:
piast9 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:I think he was koed from the polystyrene advertising thing...
He might be. I remember a race at old Hockenheim many years ago when some driver hit the styrofoam blocks that were put at the entry to the stadium section at the full speed and was in a lot of pain because of that. That blocks were lifted by the front of the car and hit the driver in the head.
Could be onto something there, not only does he hit the barrier hard, the styrofoam sign seems to get him square on the side of the head in the photo above. Also about removing his hands from the wheel, some do some dont, going back to the accident he had at the nurburgring in 2007, he kept his hands on the wheel until the car had stopped. The only reason you remove your hands is to avoid injury, and hes finished crashing/spinning when his hands fall off the wheel in this instance. Makes no sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11R56oSBQo&NR=
Procedure is to always remove your hands from the wheel in a crash, no matter how small. The forces involved are enough to snap your wrists.

He probably wasn't braking because he had also pulled his legs in away from the pedals. The initial impact destroyed a large amount of the forward crash structure, I'm sure Lewis felt that (fresh air around his feet) and instinctively pulled his feet in to prevent injury.

He may have blacked out, I would say it was more likely he was just winded.

Ray

richard_leeds wrote:Head hit the wheel? Have you not heard of seatbelts and HANS? The drivers can barely move their heads once they are strapped in.
When Massa was hit in Hungary his head went really far forwards upon impact with the tire wall. He was most definitely knocked out and hit with a greater speed but his head went really far fowards regardless. Same with Kimi in Monza. You could almost see the bottom lip on the rear of his helmet. Obviously his was at high speed too but HANS doesn't restrict complete movement in the cars. They can still move their heads quite a bit, side to side not so much due to the headrests but forward and backward movement is still quite alot.

raymondu999

I'm going to go on a limb and say that he hit the front of his helmet instead. The HANS device is also strapped into their 6-point harness. By the on boards, it would be difficult to differentiate between seeing the head hit the wheel, and the head hitting his helmet (which then would be suddenly jolted back as the HANS pulls it back)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

feynman
feynman

Ray wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Head hit the wheel? Have you not heard of seatbelts and HANS? The drivers can barely move their heads once they are strapped in.
When Massa was hit in Hungary his head went really far forwards upon impact with the tire wall. He was most definitely knocked out and hit with a greater speed but his head went really far fowards regardless. Same with Kimi in Monza. You could almost see the bottom lip on the rear of his helmet. Obviously his was at high speed too but HANS doesn't restrict complete movement in the cars. They can still move their heads quite a bit, side to side not so much due to the headrests but forward and backward movement is still quite alot.
When strapped-in, Mika couldn't get within 18inches of the steering wheel, but in his big crash, managed to smash his head into the wheel with sufficient force to fracture his skull.

That was just seat belts, I understand, and HANS does help reduce a good amount of head and neck displacement in a crash, but the point remains, there is a huge amount of energy in any violent deceleration, and movements that may otherwise seem impossible when sitting in the pits, may not be as unlikely in the barriers.

stu112
stu112

thelimey wrote:I was at the taping of TV show that'll go out on Saturday in the UK (Jonathon Ross Show) which had Lewis Hamilton as a guest. I'm not sure if any of this will be cut but he was asked about the Spa crash & I believe Lewis replied that me may have blacked out for a second, he also mentioned that his neck was still sore from the crash but was looking forward to the next race despite his recent record there.
I saw this on tv last night. Obviously as you say, it may have been edited, but when he was asked about the crash, nothing was actually mentioned about him being knocked out or not. Lewis just said he was sore the next day. When i saw it, i too thought he had been knocked out. I read a piece somewhere where Lewis said he had pulled his legs back away from the front of the car and this may explain why he didnt brake to stop the second smaller impact.......he just went into self preservation and took his hands off the wheel and pulled his legs back once he knew there was no chance of saving the car.

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法