Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
siskue2005

Re: Mercedes GP W02

siskue2005 wrote:wow, such a thin cord!
what is happeneing with lower element?
its placed to produce lift? never understood that concept...even the Mclearens and ferrari have their lower element's leaing edge placed to produce lift?
anyone can explain plz?
Even ferrari has that lower wing facing up for lift rather than downforce
how does this work? will it help in stalling the wing during drs use?

dren

its placed to produce lift? never understood that concept...even the Mclearens and ferrari have their lower element's leaing edge placed to produce lift?
anyone can explain plz?
If the car can get most of the required downforce from the flap, then they don't much need the bottom part to create downforce. That's my guess.
Honda!

dren

I don't get why you guys are bashing the hell out of the exhaust now...it's been on the car for several races...and...looks a lot like Mclaren's. The Mclaren is no dog. The fit and finish doesn't look that god awful to me. I understand you guys want the Merceds team to win races but jesus guys, it's been 4th best all year. It's not going to magically show up to a race looking like a futuristic spaceship and spank everything on the grid. All of these cars up close look rough.
Honda!

dren

siskue2005 wrote:
anyone can explain plz?
Even ferrari has that lower wing facing up for lift rather than downforce
how does this work? will it help in stalling the wing during drs use?
The way the bottom is curved, it isn't creating lift.
Honda!

marcush.
marcush.

dren wrote:I don't get why you guys are bashing the hell out of the exhaust now...it's been on the car for several races...and...looks a lot like Mclaren's. The Mclaren is no dog. The fit and finish doesn't look that god awful to me. I understand you guys want the Merceds team to win races but jesus guys, it's been 4th best all year. It's not going to magically show up to a race looking like a futuristic spaceship and spank everything on the grid. All of these cars up close look rough.
Certainly Mclaren is on a different level in all areas of detail and craftsmanship.
I agree on Ferrari quite often also looking rough .

But Mercedes with the elaborate paintjob and mercedes star on the nose coming up with that level of attention to detail is a impossible contrast and sure not fitting to the perception Mercedes is trying to create .The word is :Premium OEM not quick and dirty skunkworks.

dren

I think Mercedes won't much care what it looks like if/when its F1 cars start to win races. I agree the Mclaren has always had a lot of attention to detail...but that hasn't always made for a fast car. The Ferraris look similar to the Mercedes like you stated.
Honda!

Intego

anyone can explain plz?
First, I'm no expert. IIRC McLaren started this design in 2009. In some ways it's an upside down and bended Airplane wing. The air under the wing is faster than above because of the longer way (I hope I get this right ...). So it creates downforce which is surely helped by hot and highly energised air from the central rear cooling outlet. Maybe this wing layout helps to separate the hot air under the wing from the cold air above.

The second point is the Coandă effect, "the tendency of a fluid jet to be attracted to a nearby surface" (Wikipedia).

So there should never be lift. I didn't find exact CFD pics, but maybe Renaults CFD is a bit helpful (from Scarbs):
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

ringo

imightbewrong wrote:Man.. they are butchering this car:
This exhuast is not working with the same concept of the other cars.

This exhuast has a duffuser on the end, and the ferrari et al, have a nozzle.

If you notice there is no cut out in the floor with this car. They are simply impinging the floor with the momentum of the exhaust to create downforce.
They have less power loss with this exhaust and it may be fitting for monza.

The ferrari has a nozzle which increases the exit air speed, which flows into the cut out in the floor. The greater the flow speed the better the diffuser works and at a wider range of engine speeds.
The only downfall is the back pressure in the nozzle.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

anyone can explain plz?
if you can imagine what I'm saying, it's shaped like a "curled" check mark if you look at it from the side. The trailing edge is still creating downforce, then it kind of curls upwards towards the leading edge.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

f1gang
f1gang

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote: ...
I agree on Ferrari quite often also looking rough .
Just compare the Mercedes rear-end, xhaust, suspension and bodywork, with the similar image on the Ferrari 150 thread?

Not within the same league, not by a mile.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

siskue2005

thank you guys for explaing about the wing

MIKEY_!

Do you really need to look flashy to win? I think they have other things on their mind, don't you?

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

The welding on that exhaust is excellent. Each alternate piece has a dimple pressed into it implying that there is something inside the exhaust. It has not been pickled after welding so the colours make it look a bit rough.
I don't follow your criticism of the suspension wishbones X, zooming in on the full size view they look well finished to me.
The join between the body panels between the wishbones is certainly not McLaren style.

MIKEY_!

What could be lurking inside the exhaust pipes? How does dimples tell you that