McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Cheers mate. Thanks.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

Enormous wing #-o

raymondu999

Photos?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

From http://www.f1zone.net/news/mclaren-gamb ... claren-f1/

If this is genuine they must be crazy...

Javert

MIKEY_!

In that case mine is probably not the real deal. Either way they have done a bad thing (in my not very informed opinion). BTW is rain forecast?

EDIT: proof mine is wrong cause that wing has a support while the one from the footage posted after doesn't. :oops:

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

They appear to be making the same mistake as last year, with the high DF wing, they might be fast over a lap, but will get mugged on the straights come the race, weather or not the sidepods compensate for this I'm not sure.

Javert

ajdavison2 wrote:They appear to be making the same mistake as last year, with the high DF wing, they might be fast over a lap, but will get mugged on the straights come the race, weather or not the sidepods compensate for this I'm not sure.
They strangly seems as quick on the straights as RB
And this year we have degrading tires, so a bit much DF isn't bad with race in mind

beelsebob
beelsebob

ajdavison2 wrote:They appear to be making the same mistake as last year, with the high DF wing, they might be fast over a lap, but will get mugged on the straights come the race, weather or not the sidepods compensate for this I'm not sure.
I'm guessing that they think that their 1 lap advantage will be enough to get a second ahead before DRS is active. And that their race pace + 2 long DRS straights coming up behind backmarkers will allow them to keep that advantage.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Javert wrote:They strangly seems as quick on the straights as RB
And this year we have degrading tires, so a bit much DF isn't bad with race in mind
The question is will their straight line speeds still be as good when the DRS is closed – I doubt it ;).

Poleman

Hamilton seemed to be lapping consistently for a healthy 5-6 laps in the 1:24's range though.I dont know if there is just "over a lap" performance.Perhaps he is running a different config than Button as last year?Lets wait FP2 to make some more clear conclusions but in that session Macca looked preety strong even with the large wing. :?

HampusA

Expect times to creep below 21´s this year.

Last year Pole was 1:21.962 and that was without DRS,
The truth will come out...

Javert

HampusA wrote:Expect times to creep below 21´s this year.

But with F-Duct and DDD

HampusA

Javert wrote:
HampusA wrote:Expect times to creep below 21´s this year.

But with F-Duct and DDD
Check Alonso´s pole lap. He doesn´t use F-duct at all through the whole lap.
And DRS is a much better drag reduction system then the F-duct which can be seen by the number of overtakes this year.

The only thing F-duct had going for it (apart from the obvious drag shedding) was that you could use it anytime you liked in the race.
But drag for drag, the DRS beats it everytime.
The truth will come out...

raymondu999

I guess the ducting to his rear wing was decoration then? Ferraris at that point in the season last year had a foot duct system rather than using the wrist
失败者找理由,成功者找方法