McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MIKEY_!

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Probably right except for the bit about F-duct better cause of more overtakes. If a guy was catching me using his F-duct I would start using mine and he stops catching. Also not sure about Alonso not using his for the pole lap... when weber was using it in Eau Rouge, Spa... Evidence please?

O dear i'm starting to sound like an english teacher.

shelly
shelly

The biggest difference between for DRS in Monza is that it could be set up in such a way that when it is open, the main plane is not stalled, but simply working at a different AoA.
This makes the DRS more efficient than in other tracks.

Another point is that at monza top speeds (350km-h) compared to usual top speeds (300 km-h) every aero shape change is 200% more effective, because of the velocity-squre rule.

I think people that say "there's less drag difference in monza between DRS open/closed" overlook these two issues.
twitter: @armchair_aero

ianwit
ianwit

Well, if FP1 is anything to go by your fears are unfounded =D>
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

HampusA

raymondu999 wrote:I guess the ducting to his rear wing was decoration then? Ferraris at that point in the season last year had a foot duct system rather than using the wrist
Ok then that changes things. I thought they had a hand-system.
Because in the onboard vid on F1.com heยดs not doing anything with his hands except some BB.
The truth will come out...

HampusA

MIKEY_! wrote:Probably right except for the bit about F-duct better cause of more overtakes.
That i did not say though. I said the F-duct was better because you could use it everywhere in race compared to a DRS.
Not that it would produce more overtakes or anything like that.
The truth will come out...

PlatinumZealot

The L-pods are working.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

shelly
shelly

ianwit wrote:Well, if FP1 is anything to go by your fears are unfounded =D>
Which fears?

bajan snyper
bajan snyper

I think that Mclaren has worked more on finding the right camber setting and angle for the tires like they claimed compared to the other teams, this may be why they are doing so good from the start but lets see how FP2 goes.

ianwit
ianwit

shelly wrote:
ianwit wrote:Well, if FP1 is anything to go by your fears are unfounded =D>
Which fears?
Size of rear wing

Oh and if I was referring to you I would quote you :)
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

PlatinumZealot

The L-pods reduce drag significantly so they can go a big bigger on the wing (similar to when they had F-duct).
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Racing Green in 2028

Mandrake
Mandrake

But how do you explain the SPA effect then? They put on more wing than the others, and suffered accordingly. With DRS activated they surely shed massive amounts of DF, but without DRS they surely must feel the effect of the steeper wings. The wings are still generating a lot of drag and DF, the sidepods alone cannot overcome this.

scarlet
scarlet

Mandrake wrote:But how do you explain the SPA effect then? They put on more wing than the others, and suffered accordingly. With DRS activated they surely shed massive amounts of DF, but without DRS they surely must feel the effect of the steeper wings. The wings are still generating a lot of drag and DF, the sidepods alone cannot overcome this.
It was only Hamilton's car that was suffering from low straight line speed at Spa iirc. And the proof is in the pudding here anyway, good straight line speed in practice even with the larger wings.

shelly
shelly

You can not evaluate the disadvantages of the big wing in practice, because you can open the DRS whenever you want, so you have no drag disadvantage and enjoy higher downforce.

thestig84
thestig84

shelly wrote:You can not evaluate the disadvantages of the big wing in practice, because you can open the DRS whenever you want, so you have no drag disadvantage and enjoy higher downforce.
Yes you can....You just dont open it, like they do when the fill up and do a race sim at the end of FP2.

raymondu999

Is that lap data for the race sim archived somewhere? Does the FIA let us download that?
ๅคฑ่ดฅ่€…ๆ‰พ็†็”ฑ๏ผŒๆˆๅŠŸ่€…ๆ‰พๆ–นๆณ•