Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

Mr.S wrote: ...
Why would Merc recruit Bob & make it Tech Director if they dont consider him as TD for a decent point of time.
Because Ross Brawn's old buddy Aldo Costa was not available at the time, that's why.

@mun; Gascoyne and Bell together again would be something to behold, Gazza being one of my all-time favourites,
as much for his technical skills as his "my way or the highway" attitude.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

donskar
donskar

And now we hear Chris Dyer might also join old pal Ross Brawn at M-B (suggested by autosport.com). Large parts of the dream team coming back together. IF Costa and Dyer join we might have a clearer idea whether M-B is short on talent OR short on management and structure. I hope M-B does very well. WOuld be good for F1 to have 4 competitive teams rather than just 3.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

marcush.
marcush.

Smedley will soon need a new home as well...when Felipe is not with Ferrari anymore.....he was lured to Ferrari by ross and the trick may work twice...

Mr.S
Mr.S

Did my post get deleted???

BTW X this is MERCEDES GP NOT BRAWN GP. Ross Brawn is paid Team Principal. He cant sign Costa as Tech Director without Daimler okaying it. He has to explain anything & everything TO Mercedes board for every little paymenr & has to justify every little performance or lack of it.

There is no way Mercedes board would allow Ross Brawn & all his Ferrari men to fill this team & run it any way they want. Besides Ross wants Mercedes to succeed. There is no reason for him not to support Bell. Mercedes would never allow a high profile recruitment like Bell to be released or demoted just because Ross Brawn wants his old mate.

Unless W03 is a complete dog,Bob Bell will stay firlmy as the TD.

donskar
donskar

Mr.S wrote:Did my post get deleted???

BTW X this is MERCEDES GP NOT BRAWN GP. Ross Brawn is paid Team Principal. He cant sign Costa as Tech Director without Daimler okaying it. He has to explain anything & everything TO Mercedes board for every little paymenr & has to justify every little performance or lack of it.

There is no way Mercedes board would allow Ross Brawn & all his Ferrari men to fill this team & run it any way they want. Besides Ross wants Mercedes to succeed. There is no reason for him not to support Bell. Mercedes would never allow a high profile recruitment like Bell to be released or demoted just because Ross Brawn wants his old mate.

Hmmmmmm . . . Maybe you have exposed the problem?
:lol:

Mr.S
Mr.S

Smedley joining in would be positive for me???Any substantial rumour???

At this point MSC barely has a race engineer. He's had like 3 in 1.5 years. His set-up for qualy aint that good maybe the SWB limits his set-up windown but I dont think the W02 has hit the sweet spot yet.

Smedley would be good,as would be Costa working under Bell.

Mr.S
Mr.S

donskar wrote:
Mr.S wrote:Did my post get deleted???

Hmmmmmm . . . Maybe you have exposed the problem?
:lol:

Look he has to explain every single race weekends or any major updates & has to get the greenlight for appointments. The team is Mercedes' not his. I dont think Mercedes would recruit Bob to fire him 1 season later.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Mr.S wrote:Smedley joining in would be positive for me???
How should we know? Would it? :wink:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

donskar
donskar

Costa, Dyer, Smedley -- M-B can bring over the whole Ferrari tech team, but they still need a controlling focus, a technical direction, and an efficient structure. Just throwing in a bunch of enginners might not be the answer.

marcush.
marcush.

I certainly don´t think Clear ,Ross,Slade and Shovlin are not up to the job but it seems odd that Mercedes fails to find the sweet spot of their cars since the days of Brawn GP second haölf of 2009 ....
Or in other words .I think the engineers are brilliant but the things provided from Brackley are lousy...

As for Bell .we have not much info but by now he will know the important things about mgp and the workings of Ross Brawn.
I´m sure it is no coincidence that Costas name is now circulating -as Aldo surely is hanging around in the paddock and paid a visit to his old mate Brawn.
After a friendly talk Brawn ,confronted with those questions would logically not want to hurt Costa buit also would not want to destrabilise his own team .
Maybe he should have kept to his usual we are not commenting on this matter but Costa should be a valuable addition to almost any team in F1.

Mr.S
Mr.S

NewtonMeter wrote:
Mr.S wrote:Smedley joining in would be positive for me???
How should we know? Would it? :wink:
Ok sorry about that. I type fast. I f*** up some spelling & I have a random habit of putting meaningles punctuation marks here & there from question marks to full stops.

munudeges
munudeges

xpensive wrote:@mun; Gascoyne and Bell together again would be something to behold, Gazza being one of my all-time favourites, as much for his technical skills as his "my way or the highway" attitude.
I would imagine that Mike has already made the call, and if not if I were Bell I would have made it myself anyway. A chance to work in a new team, building it up without all that idiotic overhead? I think Gascoyne needs some help there because Lotus haven't really moved forwards this year as they should.

The whole Costa thing was a political disaster for Mercedes, Brawn obviously didn't want it to be known and where would you put him if not in a technical director position? The position Bell is now in is that he'll be wondering whether he's surplus to requirements, whether he is going to be marginalised if Costa arrives and whether he really should be giving his ideas and his all for a team that doesn't know where it is going. I suppose we've all been there at one point or another, where you know the writing is on the wall but you have to keep going to keep up appearances while putting in the minimum amount of effort until the inevitable happens.

Absolute disaster.

wunderkind
wunderkind

I don't know if Bell could work with Gascoyne these days given Gascoyne's bulldog style of railwaying things through. It was his way or the highway. Bell is the quieter type and probably better at managing people and steadying the ship when times are tough. The fact that Renault got him to run the team immediately after the Singapore GP debacle tells me Bell is the reliable type that would deliver results without killing a few people in the process.

Also, didn't Bob Bell give Gascoyne his first job in F1 at McLaren? I don't think Brawn needs Gascoyne if Costa or Chris Dyer is coming to the party.

wunderkind
wunderkind

Also, I don't think Bell is surplus to the team because of Costa's pending arrival. Bell was always the hands-on engineer capable of designing a car from scratch by himself whereas Costa has been more of a manager of resources at Ferrari. Costa's knowledge of Ferrari(the car, the technology, the developments, and the methodologies) is going to be hugely beneficial to Mercedes. The same applies for Bell.

In Bell and Costa, Brawn has two of the most successful technical directors in the business after Newey.

xpensive
xpensive

wunderkind wrote: ...
I don't think Brawn needs Gascoyne if Costa or Chris Dyer is coming to the party.
Huh? Gascoyne to Mercedes, even if I'd love to see him punch Haug's nose (litterally) once or twice, I think perhaps you got things a little backwards here boy wonder, the thinking is that Bell might join Team Lotus as CD to MG if Costa arrives.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"