Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Ferraripilot

Re: Mercedes GP W02

I was not expecting Schu to say the car is stable under braking and has good traction. I thought the opposite was true with W02.

dren

munudeges wrote:
dren wrote:Either way it is nice to see the Mercedes in the mix with the Ferraris for pole.
Pardon?
lol for the shootout for qualification...meaning they'll be with the Ferraris, but Mclaren and Red Bull will be ahead. I wrote that wrong...
Honda!

dren

Ferraripilot wrote:I was not expecting Schu to say the car is stable under braking and has good traction. I thought the opposite was true with W02.
Yeah, after reading all of the comments on here about how bad the W02 is with braking, I was kind of surprised. The car does have good traction, it just doesn't seem to carry the speed through corners like the others.
Honda!

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

dren wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:I was not expecting Schu to say the car is stable under braking and has good traction. I thought the opposite was true with W02.
Yeah, after reading all of the comments on here about how bad the W02 is with braking, I was kind of surprised. The car does have good traction, it just doesn't seem to carry the speed through corners like the others.
At least thats one improvement over W01. That SOB had bad traction.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Mercedes GP MGP W02 Chassis History:

MGP W02-01
Schumacher: AUS, MAL, CHI, TUR, ESP, MON

MGP W02-03
Rosberg: AUS, MAL, CHI

MGP W02-05
NO DATA

MGP W02-07
Rosberg: TUR, ESP, MON, CAN, EUR, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITA

MGP W02-09
Schumacher: CAN, EUR, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITA

No testing data avalable, but id asume that they had 03 do most of the test work with 01 coming along alter.

Also it seems that Mercedes are doing a weird odd number ordering system as well, so have only produced 5 tubs this year so far, not 9 by the looks of things. Co-herent with the previous 4 seasons data as well.

marcush.
marcush.

ESPImperium wrote:Mercedes GP MGP W02 Chassis History:

MGP W02-01
Schumacher: AUS, MAL, CHI, TUR, ESP, MON

MGP W02-03
Rosberg: AUS, MAL, CHI

MGP W02-05
NO DATA

MGP W02-07
Rosberg: TUR, ESP, MON, CAN, EUR, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITA

MGP W02-09
Schumacher: CAN, EUR, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITA

No testing data avalable, but id asume that they had 03 do most of the test work with 01 coming along alter.

Also it seems that Mercedes are doing a weird odd number ordering system as well, so have only produced 5 tubs this year so far, not 9 by the looks of things. Co-herent with the previous 4 seasons data as well.

I think that is in line with their "manufacturer" approach

From my personal experience in the industry all "cars" get their identification numbers ,even when there is no plan to build a complete car from that number or it is not even possible to do so as say 05 is just a half tub aimed at passing the crash tests .The numbering system has nothing to do with when the tub or car is produced or assembled for the first time .So we have an idea that actually 9 numbers were assigned and are in the system of which 02,04,06 and 08 were not build or even planned to be complete cars.

Funny they only use odd numbers to make complete cars...makes things easier to differentiate...

marcush.
marcush.

What Mercedes has to say about their Monza performance and tactics for the race..

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 91055.html

Now it is very clear that Mercedes -Ross Brawn -is just babbling around:

"We found that our performance is especially good on full tanks" wait a moment ..last week the talk was :we got a short wheelbase and that is causing a high fuel tank which is a bad thing especially with big fuelloads .This drawback cannot be overcome without a new car...

All bollocks, they have NO clue WHY they are slower.T his is worrying for 2012 already as obviously their analysis has given them answers that are not matched by
reality.

I would strongly recommend to build a W02B (crafting the rear of w03 to the current machine)and see where they stand.It´s a lot of work yes .
But obviously all top teams will have to adopt the batterypack between engine and rear axle approach anyways and this will give them a head start on the new outlays
challenges.If one would go as far and fit a new tank as well is on a different page ..if you are not going to race it ..save the money.But for friday testing this would be a nice thing

MIKEY_!

Could it be that they are trying to confuse the opposition. We do that all the time in soccer. Say one thing and then do the other. Then change it again at half time. :lol:

Mr.S
Mr.S

marcush. wrote:What Mercedes has to say about their Monza performance and tactics for the race..

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 91055.html

Now it is very clear that Mercedes -Ross Brawn -is just babbling around:

"We found that our performance is especially good on full tanks" wait a moment ..last week the talk was :we got a short wheelbase and that is causing a high fuel tank which is a bad thing especially with big fuelloads .This drawback cannot be overcome without a new car...

All bollocks, they have NO clue WHY they are slower.T his is worrying for 2012 already as obviously their analysis has given them answers that are not matched by
reality.

I would strongly recommend to build a W02B (crafting the rear of w03 to the current machine)and see where they stand.It´s a lot of work yes .
But obviously all top teams will have to adopt the batterypack between engine and rear axle approach anyways and this will give them a head start on the new outlays
challenges.If one would go as far and fit a new tank as well is on a different page ..if you are not going to race it ..save the money.But for friday testing this would be a nice thing
Ive been telling this too Macush that all the lack of performance of the car cant be because of SWB. Ive been shouting that they should re-build the rear with a longer wheelbase & see where they stand. My 2 cents they will be barely a couple of tenths quicker. Atbest 3 tenths.

Different cars have different wheelbase.It's not that Merc only have a massively short wheelbase & all cars have Mclaren type wheelbases. Merc is probably the shortest of all the top & mid cars but ferrai does not have a long wheelbase either. Ferrari are just about a little longer than Merc certainly nowhere near as long as Mclaren. All the lack of downforce can not be due to the wheelbase.

mep

I also don't really see the wheelbase as disadvantage when you manage to keep the same CoG. As Mr.S said Ferrari also has short wheelbase and is doing much better. MGP probably can't try out stuff now simply because they are way to slow to build something. Just remember how much time it took them to get exhaust blown diffusor or F-duct. So its probably best to keep all focus on the new car and maybe launch it a month earlier to have enough time for testing and solving problems. Even there I see them failing again. Time passes by very quickly.

Mr.S
Mr.S

mep wrote:I also don't really see the wheelbase as disadvantage when you manage to keep the same CoG. As Mr.S said Ferrari also has short wheelbase and is doing much better. MGP probably can't try out stuff now simply because they are way to slow to build something. Just remember how much time it took them to get exhaust blown diffusor or F-duct. So its probably best to keep all focus on the new car and maybe launch it a month earlier to have enough time for testing and solving problems. Even there I see them failing again. Time passes by very quickly.
Ferrari have been very agressive though testing front wings for 2012 & they said they will use this season for testing for next year as well.

I would rather see Merc test something & be sure rather than debut some botched concept on next year's car. I am actually pretty impressed by Bell. I think the cooling solutions were a huge compromise & the exhaust was not good. With Bell in the helm we have atleast seen a new exhaust & the new front wing used in Barcelona come back.

The car has not performed badly. I dont think Merc are very bad with stratefy either,but their set-up engineers are average too. Neither car has hit the sweet spot & Merc are the only team whining about compromises for qualy & race.

marcush.
marcush.

MIKEY_! wrote:Could it be that they are trying to confuse the opposition. We do that all the time in soccer. Say one thing and then do the other. Then change it again at half time. :lol:
I think you start doing this when you are in a position to challenge for the win .Nobody will take notice if you are beaten whatever you say... :roll: :roll:

Fact is they forward explanations and new directions to explore and just the other day they contradict themselves and put the whole team in discredit .
IF Bell and his boys have already found the root of the low performance and Brawn
sells other things to the public I ´m very sure this will not go down well with Mercedes ...Zetsche and the technical boardmembers who inevitably will ask norby why The Team principal is talking about those items when it is already clear that it is NOT the reason for underperforming.You could be mellow if Norby himself would talk nonsense ..but Ross who has that technical minded aura around him is not allowed to air half baked salesman type of technobabble.

Mind you ..on RTL Rosberg tried to explain the negative camber topic ...myohmy ..luckily he is hired as a driver and not as a member of the technical staff ..he has no idea about car dynamics ....or he is unable to explain
-I wonder how his race engineers extract useful information from him -maybe by looking deep into his eyes... :twisted:

As for the lwb car :the idea can only be to craft the W03 rearend to w02 .This is surely the one option they have without having to resort to having a imterims bellhousing ready to be thrown in the bin in a few weeks time.The car looks like a relative to quasimodo anyways since day one ..so filling the gaps with pieces of scrap cf panels is not going to hurt anymore than it is already.

MIKEY_!

People will listen when it is ross brawn. Even then if you can distract and confuse people and make them think you know something they don't, then you are in a better position than when you started. They are trying everything, psyching out the opposition is one way to do this. Contradicting himself, i will admit, is not the best way to do this nor the best use of his time and energy.

mep

marcush. wrote:Mind you ..on RTL Rosberg tried to explain the negative camber topic ...myohmy ..luckily he is hired as a driver and not as a member of the technical staff ..he has no idea about car dynamics ....or he is unable to explain -I wonder how his race engineers extract useful information from him -maybe by looking deep into his eyes...
Ah I wish I had seen this.
Is it possible to see it somewhere on the net?
If not what has he said?

raymondu999

So close; and yet no cigar. I would've loved to see a Mickey Schue podium
失败者找理由,成功者找方法