Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Mercedes GP W02

he just hasn't got the pace to be up on the podium, which is a shame because that was a brilliant performance and an excellent start. I think if we have another proper wet race like canada though, that will be his best chance to challenge for a podium.

xpensive
xpensive

For all those who doubted that some Mercedes engines are more equal than others, watching MSC pulling away from the
helpless Hamilton on the straights today must have been ample evidence that at least MGP's motors most certainly are?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Ferraripilot

xpensive wrote:For all those who doubted that some Mercedes engines are more equal than others, watching MSC pulling away from the
helpless Hamilton on the straights today must have been ample evidence that at least MGP's motors most certainly are?
The cars were geared differently. Lewis was bouncing off the rev limiter in 7th while W02 was geared to really wring things out. Also, Macca was running more downforce, especially at the rear. W02 was running far less downforce. Otherwise I saw absolutely no difference in engine performance. The variables I mentioned are the only reasons behind W02 being able to pull away

Jon
Jon

xpensive wrote:For all those who doubted that some Mercedes engines are more equal than others, watching MSC pulling away from the
:roll:

Really? Then I guess they mixed them up and somehow gave the "most equal" engine to Button, eh?

munudeges
munudeges

xpensive wrote:For all those who doubted that some Mercedes engines are more equal than others, watching MSC pulling away from the helpless Hamilton on the straights today must have been ample evidence that at least MGP's motors most certainly are?
Indeed, and McLaren will be asking some serious questions if they aren't already. It's getting more and more impossible to explain away the more races we see it at.

That wasn't down to gear rations or drag. At every single race we've seen the Mercedes cars have at least a good 5 kph advantage over other cars, including Mercedes powered ones. Given how much Mercedes are lacking in terms of downforce then you would think they would be the ones who would have more drag, but their top end speeds say otherwise. They are, more often than not, able to stay ahead of other cars behind even when they have their wings open.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Do you anything about Formula 1?? One look at Mclaren's rear wing & Mercedes rear wing will tell you the complete story. Mclaren were running much more downforce than Mercedes. Besides the W02 car is build on the philosophy of awesome straightline speed.

Merc went for a high straightline while Mclaren were probably carrying the biggest rear wing in the race. You can add the guile of a 7 time WDC to that.

Mr.S
Mr.S

munudeges wrote:
xpensive wrote:For all those who doubted that some Mercedes engines are more equal than others, watching MSC pulling away from the helpless Hamilton on the straights today must have been ample evidence that at least MGP's motors most certainly are?
Indeed, and McLaren will be asking some serious questions if they aren't already. It's getting more and more impossible to explain away the more races we see it at.

That wasn't down to gear rations or drag. At every single race we've seen the Mercedes cars have at least a good 5 kph advantage over other cars, including Mercedes powered ones. Given how much Mercedes are lacking in terms of downforce then you would think they would be the ones who would have more drag, but their top end speeds say otherwise. They are, more often than not, able to stay ahead of other cars behind even when they have their wings open.
Because their car is build that way. TO OPTIMISE STRAIGHT LINE SPEED while Mclaren are running a massive rear wing. Ideally with that rear wing Mclaren should have been the slowest car in the grid but the MERC engines are the only reason why they are ahead.

WHEN YOU RUN THAT MUCH of a massive downforce & with that big a rear wing & when MERC's rear wing in every race has been considerably shorter than the huge kitchen sink like rear wing of Mclaren.

It's obvious na???? Or will you resort to trolling like you do to bash Merc.

Intego

For comparison: Speed Trap in Qualifying
RBR 327.7/336.1
Renault GP 344.8/347.2
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

munudeges
munudeges

Mr.S wrote:Because their car is build that way. TO OPTIMISE STRAIGHT LINE SPEED while Mclaren are running a massive rear wing.
You're not getting how this works. It should be Mercedes needing to run the massive rear wing because they're the ones with the large downforce deficit, but it's not. Against a team that should be running the same engines there is then only one conclusion you can draw. :wink:

As an aside, I see that Force India's once prodigious straight line performance has evaporated........ :?

wesley123
wesley123

I think it is you not getting how it works. Merc has less df then McLaren that's a fact. I think it is quite obvious to see that McLaren was running more, way more wing then Mercedes. Or you want to say that max 6hp more horsepower gives you 20kph more straightline speed? You dont have to be a rocket scientist to know that that isnt the case.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PhillipM
PhillipM

munudeges wrote: It should be Mercedes needing to run the massive rear wing because they're the ones with the large downforce deficit, but it's not.
Err, I think you're the one that doesn't really understand how it works, if you have a downforce deficiency, that's because your car has terrible aero efficiency with more wing bolted on, which means it's the very last thing you would do...

xpensive
xpensive

What was obvious today, at least to me, was that MSC had no problems even with Hamilton sitting in the former's wake,
while as soon as the latter tried to pull out of the slipstream, MSC just eased away.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Mr.S
Mr.S

I dont think you need to be a rocket scientist to see that Mercedes throughout the race have build their car focuses on the best DRS & straightline speed. Mclaren have build up their huge kitchen sink rear wing to generate downforce while Mercedes rear-wing gives them the best DRS & straightline speed.

Also Mclaren were carrying the biggest wing in the grid & should have been the slowest in the straightline if they did not have a Merc engine. You dont need to be a genius to see that. You just need to stop trolling & own up for everything instead of bashing Mercedes's engine for the success or failure of Mclare.

ringo

xpensive wrote:What was obvious today, at least to me, was that MSC had no problems even with Hamilton sitting in the former's wake,
while as soon as the latter tried to pull out of the slipstream, MSC just eased away.
Notice too that when tyre wear is less important Mercedes look much better?
For Sure!!

Mr.S
Mr.S

ringo wrote:
xpensive wrote:What was obvious today, at least to me, was that MSC had no problems even with Hamilton sitting in the former's wake,
Notice too that when tyre wear is less important Mercedes look much better?
Ntotice too that Lewis cant pull of an overtake without crashing :mrgreen:

New CRASH-KID on the block. :D