Williams FW33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Re: Williams FW33

Williams-Cosworth FW33 Chassis History:

FW33-01 History:
Barichello: Valencia Test, Jerez Test, Barcelona #1 Test
Maldanado: Valencia Test, Jerez Test, Barcelona #1 Test

FW33-02 History:
Maldanado: AUS, MAL, CHI, TUR, ESP, MON, CAN, EUR, GBR, GER, HUN, BEL, ITA

FW33-03 History:
Barichello: AUS, MAL, CHI, TUR, ESP, MON, CAN, EUR, GBR

FW33-04 History:
Barichello: GER, HUN, BEL, ITA

Notes:
No data for Barcelona #2 Test, however id recon they brought 02 to this test.

roadie

I believe the team was running two different configuration cars this weekend. Maldonado's had the RBR esque cooling solution and Rubens' did not. I haven't found any great photos comparing them both though.

Francesc
Francesc

Also it's interesting that both drivers use different front wing pillars, that has been the case for some races already.

roadie

That photo of Pastor makes the FW33 look good! Such a shame it's a bust...

MIKEY_!

Why did they do a 'from scratch' design again. 3 years in a row must be a drain on cash.

wesley123
wesley123

I am quite sure the FW33 is just an development from the FW32, same as the FW32 was to the FW31
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Williams? They just say that I think. To be honest it's like they start with a blank sheet of paper, then look at last year's car. "Oh that part worked well. Let's do that again" and copy it onto their "blank sheet"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Oh ok not sure where I heard that but I thought the '09 '10 and '11 cars were fresh designs. Raymond is right of course, to a point, there will almost always be carry-over from the previous car. Quite a difference (visually) between the 33 and 32 though. Engine changes will cause a bit of reworking as well. Another 'blank sheet' for next year?

raymondu999

It will be a development of this year's car, drawn on a blank sheet of paper, if that's what you mean.

However I do expect the engine cover area to see quite some changes as the new engine comes in
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

new broom, new concepts .TD just have to leave their mark somewhere and you will not carry over the guys work who lost his job because of what he did.
So let´s see how much of a legacy remains with FW34 ...as certainly the current car was not a step in the right direction.
Sure they have analysed the reasons for the failure and we´ll see if the gearbox layout will be seen again in 2012...
Sure the WGP KERS was not a huge success as well and the path RedBull has drawn up will surely find some followers.

kalinka
kalinka

Do you guys think that the new ultra-low gearbox succeeded ? I didn't noticed any complaints for that part...I just wonder if it's a succesful design which they can (and should) carry over to 2012?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Be interesting to see if it appears on anything else next year, it'd be nice to see how well it worked on something with tighter rear end packaging like the RB/Ferrari.

MIKEY_!

I think they should keep it, unless there is to much compromise in fitting it to the new engine. They spent all that time developing it and we haven't heard it cause problems. RBR have gone down the tall and narrow 'box route so I doubt we'll see it there. Ferrari might go for the Williams system though.

aleks_ader

kalinka wrote:Do you guys think that the new ultra-low gearbox succeeded ? I didn't noticed any complaints for that part...I just wonder if it's a succesful design which they can (and should) carry over to 2012?
Yeah this gearbox is lovely pice of engineering. How it works? Hmmm! Tough question!

I think the all rear stability of is bad. The end vibrate a lot beacuse the all strucure is weaker and with this they have a lot problems in the prea season tests...In i m sure that cause many problems in the other areas of the car...Ofcoure overall the solution is great but the koncept must be very thoughtfuly and carefully design...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

aleks_ader

MIKEY_! wrote:I think they should keep it, unless there is to much compromise in fitting it to the new engine. They spent all that time developing it and we haven't heard it cause problems. RBR have gone down the tall and narrow 'box route so I doubt we'll see it there. Ferrari might go for the Williams system though.
Sorry to interfere you! But from where you have find that info about that Ferrari plaed skiny gearbox?
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna