Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP W02

I´m pretty sure Schumacher was geared not much longer than Mclaren.he had 6kmh in hand as the official numbers say .
and at least once he had the DRS in use to repass Hamilton.So by the looks of things he hit the limiter 5kmh above hamilton .
As the final drive for monza is a one off item the question is how much scope there is even to fine tailor the top speed ..eg is the 7th gear a direct drive ,are there step gears to further open overall gearing fine tuning.?

Button was geared like Hamilton and started even worse.So the bad starts certainly played a role but you just have to separate the dogs in a fight at one time when they start to bite off the others ears.... :roll:

twoshots
twoshots

marcush. wrote:Kers design and R&D is in Germany as far as I know?
No, it is done in the UK. As far as I know they are designing and building the AMG eSLS batteries out of those workforce numbers people keep quoting.

As for engine power, they are the same (that goes for FIF1 as well), except if you like conspiracy theories. Well, that is until you stick on different exhaust designs which _will_ effect the power output.

dren

So how much of the W02 do you guys think will spill over onto the W03?

Front/rear wings
Front nose
Monocoque?
Suspension coupling

Will the radiators get the ax?
Will the sidepods curve forward?

We do know the wheel base will be elongated.

I think the car will look similar but with a periscope exhaust and longer wheel base. The longer wheel base will allow for a tighter rear end.
Honda!

timbo
timbo

With a longer wheelbase they'd probably revert to traditional radiator arrangement.

MIKEY_!

F/R Wings might be carried over. (although its more or less the same as what brawn ran so its probably time to change)
Nose will change to comply with new regs.
Think the monocoque will have to change to fit the new fuel tank won't it?
Suspension might stay but i don't know enough about that sort of thing.
Do the current rads have a packaging advantage over the trad design (if so they might be worth keeping)
Not sure what you mean by sidepods curving forward.

yener

The WO3 will be nothing like the WO2.
They will come with a brand new car and a different filosfy (again).
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Ferraripilot

dren wrote:So how much of the W02 do you guys think will spill over onto the W03?

Front/rear wings
Front nose
Monocoque?
Suspension coupling

Will the radiators get the ax?
Will the sidepods curve forward?

We do know the wheel base will be elongated.

I think the car will look similar but with a periscope exhaust and longer wheel base. The longer wheel base will allow for a tighter rear end.

I would be very surprised if MB keeps this wing for yet another season. The only parts of W02 IMO worth saving is the nose and suspension. I believe we will see more of that nose concept next year. The suspension has not really been the problem on the car so much as it's been the lack of aero and a stable CoG.

Ferraripilot

MIKEY_! wrote:Nose has to change - low nose regs, remember.

bahh. too right. thanks!

wunderkind
wunderkind

I think only the front suspensions and the engine will be carried over to the W03.

Everything else will have to be brand new.

MIKEY_!

Its to stop stuff like mark webbers Valencia crash. The low nose means the car digs in when hitting the tire of the car in front, no up and over theatrics. Yes very low indeed. Interesting to see if anyone finds a way round it. Off topic i know.

marcush.
marcush.

Singapore will be the first hint if W02 has found some speed lately or it was just the tracks suiting the concept a bit better ..
I tend to believe we will find the two silver arrows a bit further back especially in the race .

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

marcush. wrote:Singapore will be the first hint if W02 has found some speed lately or it was just the tracks suiting the concept a bit better ..
I tend to believe we will find the two silver arrows a bit further back especially in the race .
My thoughts exactly! I am thinking it's a bit of both.

Would also like to see if michael found some mojo lately or if it was merely luck. Bit of both again, I suspect.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

mep

Come on guys they where behind RedBull, McLaren and Ferrari in the last races and they will remain there for the rest of the season. No reason to come up with speculations and wrong hopes every week again.

Lycoming
Lycoming

its a track with low grip and the least durable compounds in a pretty warm environment. if they've made improvements to tyre wear, it will show here.

marcush.
marcush.

mep wrote:Come on guys they where behind RedBull, McLaren and Ferrari in the last races and they will remain there for the rest of the season. No reason to come up with speculations and wrong hopes every week again.
But in both races at least for some time they were in the mix featuring in top 3 even if it was not to be till the end.

Mercedes claimed to have found some speed and reducing the gap so it is only fair to ask for their competitiveness on one of the tilke tracks.