Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
scarbs
scarbs

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

raymondu999 wrote:Given Mark Webber's RBR was on a crane for quite a while I'm surprised nobody's got pictures of the new underfloor yet.

Ta-da...! Screen grab all you please...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swoomrzE ... r_embedded

PaulB

scarbs wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Given Mark Webber's RBR was on a crane for quite a while I'm surprised nobody's got pictures of the new underfloor yet.

Thanks, poorly I've already finished my own RB7 underbody. But belated I'll fix that heat shiels, which we could see in the video!
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

ajdavison2
ajdavison2

On a side note, surely RBR can't be happy about their car being so exposed to the press and other teams, is there nothing that can be done? Can the team appeal in some way? Just out of curiosity.

raymondu999

scarbs wrote:

Wow. I'm surprised the car stayed there that long. Would that not be a safety hazard?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

thisisatest
thisisatest

i especially like the tea tray close-up. the central stay is so thin, the carbon debris cut in and lodged itself there!
and the small intake on the side of the tea tray, you can see a small brazed or welded metal reinforcement along the bottom... interesting details.

marcush.
marcush.

so better let the opposition take a perfect look than having the car cannibalized by the tifosi?
I guess they would not have left much apart from the naked tub.. :mrgreen:

tok-tokkie
tok-tokkie

imightbewrong wrote: Image
It looks to me that they had an asymetrical airfoil section at the front of the bib. You can View and Zoom on the image. Biased for more downforce on the right side = inside of Grande, Lesmo & Parabolica. Do they normally have an aerfoil there, let alone an asymetrical one?

EDIT: Or is it part of the front wing that is now stuck on there?
Last edited by tok-tokkie on 14 Sep 2011, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

shamikaze
shamikaze

in the vid, the only interesting bits are from 04:43 -> 04:50.

aleks_ader

Hmmm! The diffuser seems like DDD and this hole...i ' m wondering to now: where come frome the air in this hole...maybe from the bottom of the car and makes some type of Venturi efect (like ventilation suction effect). Or is this hot air from exhausts pipes or is hotter air from cooling section from of fronf of the car...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bill shoe
bill shoe

Great details in the youtube video.

Rear diffusers started out this year with gurney tabs on top. Then Toro Roso and maybe Williams started using awkward, tortured little mini-flaps on top. I say tortured because although they apparently offered an advantage over the crude gurney, they clearly were not well integrated with the diffuser profile and airflow.

In contrast, the video shows that the RB diffuser keeps a lower profile until the extreme trailing edge where it turns up sharply. This allows the diffuser profile and airflow to better integrate with the mini-flap on top.

There are many other nice details. Some details I understand and some I don't, but the level of design and manufacturing is obviously impressive.

I worry that the diffusers will all look like this next year and we will lose a bit of variation.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

aleksandergreat wrote:Hmmm! The diffuser seems like DDD and this hole...i ' m wondering to now: where come frome the air in this hole...maybe from the bottom of the car and makes some type of Venturi efect (like ventilation suction effect). Or is this hot air from exhausts pipes or is hotter air from cooling section from of fronf of the car...
If you are talking about the starter motor hole it is fed via ducts on top of the diffuser. Here's a crappy paint illustration. You can also see how the gurney works in this image as well.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

aleks_ader

Owen.C93 wrote:
aleksandergreat wrote:Hmmm! The diffuser seems like DDD and this hole...i ' m wondering to now: where come frome the air in this hole...maybe from the bottom of the car and makes some type of Venturi efect (like ventilation suction effect). Or is this hot air from exhausts pipes or is hotter air from cooling section from of fronf of the car...
If you are talking about the starter motor hole it is fed via ducts on top of the diffuser. Here's a crappy paint illustration. You can also see how the gurney works in this image as well.

Excuse me i m not from England and i dont understand one word; :oops: what is actually "gurney" [-o< Please "help me" :lol:
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

beelsebob
beelsebob

aleksandergreat wrote:Excuse me i m not from England and i dont understand one word; :oops: what is actually "gurney" [-o< Please "help me" :lol:
A gurney is a small strip of wing that can be attached to increase the downforce level. It's generally a pretty inefficient way of gaining downforce – it carries a high drag level too for the amount of downforce it generates.

PaulB

aleksandergreat wrote:Excuse me i m not from England and i dont understand one word; :oops: what is actually "gurney" [-o< Please "help me" :lol:
Look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurney_flap
"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose!" - Ayrton Senna

Paul Bischof
Milton Keynes, UK
MK2 2HL
http://paulsf1.wordpress.com/

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

beelsebob wrote:
A gurney is a small strip of wing that can be attached to increase the downforce level. It's generally a pretty inefficient way of gaining downforce – it carries a high drag level too for the amount of downforce it generates.
Yeah, usually it is a thin strip that is put perpendicular (at a 90 degree angle) to the surface, what's different about a perforated gurney is that there is a slot to let some air through to improve efficiency. Red-bull took it to the extreme and made it pretty much a small wing element on top of the diffuser.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)