Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aleks_ader

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Thx guys! So jeah that i mean this hole... So Red Bull was on that area the most radical than other teams..interesting clude...btw. Nice pic
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

beelsebob wrote:
aleksandergreat wrote:Excuse me i m not from England and i dont understand one word; :oops: what is actually "gurney" [-o< Please "help me" :lol:
A gurney is a small strip of wing that can be attached to increase the downforce level. It's generally a pretty inefficient way of gaining downforce – it carries a high drag level too for the amount of downforce it generates.
I disagree. In many cases it gives good DF with small drag penalty. Such is the case in a small sport prototype series I worked in the past. With top speeds of 220kph it didnt affect drag and the driver could feel the effect in high and mid speed corners.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

volarchico
volarchico

That is the whole point of the gurney...large amounts of downforce for small amounts of drag.

forty-two

Sorry to be dense guys, but can someone tell me what's going on here?

Looks to me like an exit from a double deck diffusor, but what would be feeding it?

Also, it looks like this is only on the RH side of the car.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

forty-two wrote:Sorry to be dense guys, but can someone tell me what's going on here?

Looks to me like an exit from a double deck diffusor, but what would be feeding it?

There's discussion on the last couple of pages, just a perforated gurney like the Torro rosso and others, it's on both sides. Previously RB had it only on the center with pretty much a small wing used for a gurney, they modified the gurneys on the outside in Monza to the perforated variety.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

forty-two

Owen.C93 wrote: There's discussion on the last couple of pages, just a perforated gurney like the Torro rosso and others, it's on both sides. Previously RB had it only on the center with pretty much a small wing used for a gurney, they modified the gurneys on the outside in Monza to the perforated variety.
Understood, but could it be that this is fed by these vents at the front of the bib:

The images on the last couple of pages suggest a top vent which feeds inboard, whereas these exit vents are well outboard.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

ringo

No , those are too far away. The air would stagnate in the body.

Also feeding air there is counter intuitive, as it will be slower than the air coming through the diffuser.

these hole may be for cooling the batteries.
By the way are they visible when the engine cover is on?
For Sure!!

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

Seems you can spot them in this photo.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

ringo wrote:No , those are too far away. The air would stagnate in the body.

Also feeding air there is counter intuitive, as it will be slower than the air coming through the diffuser.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/TDGmU.jpg[img]

these hole may be for cooling the batteries.
By the way are they visible when the engine cover is on?
Yes you can see daylight through them to the starter hole/slot.

Regarding the bid vent, that isn't really a vent as much as a way to direct air to floor better. I think all teams have that.

ringo

Mclaren has something similar, but it's not shaped in that way. It's basically 2 throughs that lead to the starter hole.

In this case, i suspect that these holes are pulling hot air from the lower regions of the body work.

It's interesting because the air speed in that area is very low. The purpose is not very clear.
For Sure!!

aleks_ader

ringo wrote:Mclaren has something similar, but it's not shaped in that way. It's basically 2 throughs that lead to the starter hole.

In this case, i suspect that these holes are pulling hot air from the lower regions of the body work.

It's interesting because the air speed in that area is very low. The purpose is not very clear.
@ringo is that your drawing? Nice! :)

Yeah of course it could be that reason!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

I don't think there's any hot air since that area is filled with gearbox.

godlameroso

forty-two wrote:Sorry to be dense guys, but can someone tell me what's going on here?

It could be that inside the end plates, that little slot acts as an extra wing. Then, on the outside since there is nothing feeding it, it must be to tune the vortecies, the gap would effectively delay the interaction between the air going over and under the diffuser. In addition it would also increase the pressure slightly of the air going outside the endplates of the rear wing. Also look where it's positioned in relation to the rear wheel cascades, and the exhaust.
Saishū kōnā

Pierce89

godlameroso wrote:

*Picture in above post*

It could be that inside the end plates, that little slot acts as an extra wing. Then, on the outside since there is nothing feeding it, it must be to tune the vortecies, the gap would effectively delay the interaction between the air going over and under the diffuser. In addition it would also increase the pressure slightly of the air going outside the endplates of the rear wing. Also look where it's positioned in relation to the rear wheel cascades, and the exhaust.
It's a slotted gurney. They've been mentioned quite alot this year on F1T.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Would someone please explain in simple words what a slotted gurney is. I know more or less what a classic gurney is but see no slots on the photo, neither an angled strip along the edge.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012