Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

I think the angle is such that we can't really see the slots. We need a better angle
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Would it be a Gurney that is not mounted flush to the wing surface so as to form a gap (slot) between the bottom of the Gurney strip and the top of the wing surface.

Anyone have explanation of the possible advantages?

Brian

marekk
marekk

hardingfv32 wrote:Would it be a Gurney that is not mounted flush to the wing surface so as to form a gap (slot) between the bottom of the Gurney strip and the top of the wing surface.

Anyone have explanation of the possible advantages?

Brian
I would say more small trailing edge flap then gurney. As any other separation control device it works by creating low pressure area behind trailing edge of main surface (diffuser in this case), which helps with flow separation (you discharge into low pressure, so less pressure gradient and less chance for separation).
My guess - less downforce then classic gurney, but less draggy. Makes sense for low downforce/drag circuit like Monza.

Lurk

raymondu999 wrote:I think the angle is such that we can't really see the slots. We need a better angle
page 122

f1motta
f1motta

RB7 floor and diffuser details

Source: http://www.f1talks.pl/?p=11070

PlatinumZealot

The floor is highly polished.

They have altered the strake on the leading edge of the EBD. It is now a two layered device, the strake on top is hidden by those dark pentagons. There is also a square cut adjacent to the wheels. Other teams should copy this while they can!

The longitudinal profile of the diffuser is still a question for me. I remember a user (forgot who it was) that was pondering if the profile is concave... I am looking real hard, it now looks like a linear profile with a kink.

any other interpretations?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

aleks_ader

Hmmm! I belive thats "highly polished" material is a very expensive heat rezist material. Unfortunalty i forgot exact name?
n smikle wrote: The longitudinal profile of the diffuser is still a question for me. I remember a user (forgot who it was) that was pondering if the profile is concave... I am looking real hard, it now looks like a linear profile with a kink.

any other interpretations?
Wha you exaxtly mean with "longitudinal profile of the diffuser"? If you could show me on the picture! :)
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

raymondu999

Longitudinal means from the front to the back of the car. Basically I think smikle is saying that towards the back of the car, the floor is still flat, before it kind of suddenly angles upwards
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aleks_ader

raymondu999 wrote:Longitudinal means from the front to the back of the car. Basically I think smikle is saying that towards the back of the car, the floor is still flat, before it kind of suddenly angles upwards
Thx! Aha but that is normal for the diffusor...just there is a catch in the curved of them...so every team tested in the wind tunel that interactions of diferend "angle" and curvature of the diffuozor!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

shelly
shelly

It refers to the shape of the floor when viewd from the side.
It has to be flat till a certain x (being x the longitudinal coordinate for the car) station, then transitioned with a mandated minimum radius, the the line is ferr, provided that it is continuous and does not endhigher than a certain mandated z and a certain rearward x station.

The rules give you freedom of shape from the kink line to the enfd of the diffuser: you can mahe it concave convex or straight.

It is much debated (and muche trolled) in various threads. Some confusion in the past arised from the misconception (originating in some other websites/books) that you want the smother transition possible, i.e. a convex shape. That's not the case: you have a definite minimum radus kink line after which expansion begins. I do not know if with the current regulations concave shape are used, or if there is not enough potential form the flow for them to be exploited.
I think concave shapes were in use till 2008, at least in the centrsl part of the diffuser
twitter: @armchair_aero

marekk
marekk

Thanks scarbs, youtube videos are better and better this days :-)

Few more details:

Clearly concave, with quite aggressive shape.

Really interesting things to be seen on the second snapshot.
They don't blow under or over the diffuser att all!
Even sacrify some diff volume to form this weird shaped, coated part of the floor in front of exhaust exit. My guess - all gases are used to create vortices to seal the sides of the diffuser to the ground and to blowh rear wheels inner vortex (shedded at about this hight) away.

What do you think, guys ?

PlatinumZealot

There is a thread on the EBD in the Aero section. All details explained there.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

kalinka
kalinka

I hate to bring it up again, but look at marekk's post, first picture. Those two curved fins under the diffuser are quite assymetrical. The lower edges of the fins are convex at right side and concave at left side ( wieved from back of the car ). It's only a Monza feature, or something else. First I thougth that it's due to floor damage, but those shapes look smooth enough to me :wtf:
Other possibilty of course is optical illusion, I just can't see how it's possible in this situation.

wesley123
wesley123

it is an optical illusion. I am not seeing anything assymetric about the diffuser
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

aleks_ader

n smikle wrote:There is a thread on the EBD in the Aero section. All details explained there.
Please i cant find that thread! Please paste the LINK? Please!