McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
siskue2005

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

ajdavison2 wrote:Their Singapore wing looks almost like their Monza wing :lol: maybe they're developing a universal wing for the entire calender? 8) :lol:
you mean the short upper section?
its not monza version...its a version for best DRS top speed
the other version , big chord one was good for non DRS use
So with the gap they haev now in quly , they are trying to claw that back

beelsebob
beelsebob

Man, what a reminder of how horrible the 2008 cars looked.

Richied76
Richied76

beelsebob wrote:Man, what a reminder of how horrible the 2008 cars looked.
I think overall it's not too bad, just the turning vanes in front of the side pods and those darn wheel covers! Supriced no teams sold them for advertising space seeing as they were always horizontal.

Anyway I still think it's very telling that there brake ducts have a heat reflective coating. A small amount of exhaust gas must pass over them. Good idea when you think about it, avoids the " aero must be attached to sprung parts of the car" rule

raymondu999

I would honestly take vanes/bargeboards/deflectors any day over a set of "horned" U-shaped side pods. I hate the look of those. Unless we're talking of viewing from the rear then they actually are somewhat tolerable.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

I agree with that one but to be honest neither is much good.

Pierce89

siskue2005 wrote:
keoxiv wrote:Image
finally they have their endplaes like they had back in 2008
i think Mclaren where the first to introduce such endplates back then

maybe from the recent hard vapor trails noticed in their car, they want to reduce it.
Renault invented that cutaway endplate in 06

“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

ergenomic
ergenomic

That must flex tremendously at speed? I would imagine that that whole wing structure would have a degree of movement.

raymondu999

Are you saying the slits would kind of be a "fan" and kind of expand and contract at the back, thus causing the rear wing to bob along up and down with it?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

keoxiv
keoxiv

Looking like a complex update...
Spending your life waiting for the messiah to come save the world is like waiting around for the straight piece to come in Tetris. Even if it comes, by that time you've accumulated a mountain of $hit so high that you're %ucked up no matter what you do...

JMN
JMN

What production technique is currently used for RW endplate gills?

Javert

I definitely can't understand this :lol:

They ran much wing in Monza where you need low drag
and they run this wing, which is more minimal, in Singapore where you need drag

I hope those are testing parts for India&Suzuka as I can't see them running that wing in Singapore

ergenomic
ergenomic

Are you saying the slits would kind of be a "fan" and kind of expand and contract at the back, thus causing the rear wing to bob along up and down with it?
Yes, that is what I thought when I first saw the picture. When the upper element pressures up at speed, wouldn't those slits compress?

If they were to compress they would reduce the AoA on the upper element and therefore reduce drag. Considering the structure of upper element mount, I can't see how this wouldn't occur.

Richied76
Richied76

RIGHT, firstly the lower element is fixed to the endplates and its strong as hell, you cant budge it i promise :roll: AND the front edge of the upper element is solid against the lower element when closed and fixed at the front edge when lifted by the DRS acuator. Not going to say if the trailing edge of the upper element flexes down BUT, if it did, it would effectively raise the upper element to a lower angle of attack even thought it is still only raised 50mm. clever hey?

wesley123
wesley123

@Pierce89; If I'm correct Renault first ran such wing at the 2003 Monaco GP.
Javert wrote:I definitely can't understand this :lol:

They ran much wing in Monza where you need low drag
and they run this wing, which is more minimal, in Singapore where you need drag

I hope those are testing parts for India&Suzuka as I can't see them running that wing in Singapore
Based on Hungary pace for example they seem to have gained in downforce. Plus they have really good mechanical grip and tire management. Possible they could run a bit less DF to make more use of DRS, and DRS is quite useful here, so lots to be gained in Qualifying compared to barely any race pace loss
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

ergenomic wrote:
Yes, that is what I thought when I first saw the picture. When the upper element pressures up at speed, wouldn't those slits compress?

If they were to compress they would reduce the AoA on the upper element and therefore reduce drag. Considering the structure of upper element mount, I can't see how this wouldn't occur.
Those are very rigid, I don't think they would move. The intention isn't to move either as that would waste the kinetic energy of the flow.

This looks like a low drag soltution which doesn't negatively impact the down force.
Endplates are very draggy devices, and in yaw condition they cause a lapse in the downforce. Yaw conditions are very small periods of time though.
For Sure!!