McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

siskue2005 wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:Their Singapore wing looks almost like their Monza wing :lol: maybe they're developing a universal wing for the entire calender? 8) :lol:
you mean the short upper section?
its not monza version...its a version for best DRS top speed
the other version , big chord one was good for non DRS use
So with the gap they haev now in quly , they are trying to claw that back
No I meant in terms of AOA and downforce configs.

siskue2005

ajdavison2 wrote:
siskue2005 wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:Their Singapore wing looks almost like their Monza wing :lol: maybe they're developing a universal wing for the entire calender? 8) :lol:
you mean the short upper section?
its not monza version...its a version for best DRS top speed
the other version , big chord one was good for non DRS use
So with the gap they haev now in quly , they are trying to claw that back
No I meant in terms of AOA and downforce configs.

both seems to have same AoA to me!

Richard
Richard

Completely different rear wings. Will be interesting to see if that carries through to the race.

ForMuLaOne
ForMuLaOne

Actually both wings have the same angle of attack. And, they surely do generate the same amount of downforce as well. But if DSR is activated, the size of the opened flap makes the difference.

wesley123
wesley123

ForMuLaOne wrote:Actually both wings have the same angle of attack. And, they surely do generate the same amount of downforce as well. But if DSR is activated, the size of the opened flap makes the difference.
That is rubbish, completely different wing profiles, completely different rear wings to be exact. no way that these generate the same downforce. If that is the case, why didnt they run it before since Silverstone?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Lycoming
Lycoming

that DRS wing spent a lot of time in testing. they ran it every friday from silverstone til spa, where they raced a low downforce version of it. it seems now that the 2 high speed circuits are over with, they're back to evaluating it for higher downforce circuits, as the old wing was a better wing when the flap was closed. monza and spa both had long areas where DRS could be used in qualifying, hence justifying the use of a DRS optimized wing there.

anyways, be interesting to see if they will run it in the race here, or if they will run different wings on each car.

raymondu999

Wow I hadn't noticed the two McLarens were testing short vs long chord rear wings. But then again I was more focused with making them look good in my camera
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

wesley123 wrote:
ForMuLaOne wrote:Actually both wings have the same angle of attack. And, they surely do generate the same amount of downforce as well. But if DSR is activated, the size of the opened flap makes the difference.
That is rubbish, completely different wing profiles, completely different rear wings to be exact. no way that these generate the same downforce. If that is the case, why didnt they run it before since Silverstone?
Well it could be rubbish, but there is no evidence against it.
It's possible that they may have the same downforce and it's possible that they may not. Can't really dismiss his opinion aside from his using the word "surely".
For Sure!!

raymondu999

The front wing AoA looks similar on both; so I assume the difference in downforce shouldn't be too far (if it were 1 could potentially be imbalanced)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

ringo wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Well it could be rubbish, but there is no evidence against it.
It's possible that they may have the same downforce and it's possible that they may not. Can't really dismiss his opinion aside from his using the word "surely".
I'd have thought if they had the same DF then they would use the same wing as short chord = better DRS speed. The long chord one likely gives more DF.

raymondu999

Very fair point Mikey
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

Free practice shows they haven't got enough DF running the short chord wing, in the third sector they lose time, so they must mount the long chord one

raymondu999

Jenson was on the long chord wing though
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

lewis has a roughly 4kph speed advantage over jenson in the speed trap (from F1F analysis)
so if he can maintain his lap time advantage of jenson, then the short chord must be the way to go for Mclaren nowadays. though jenson may not enjoy the lack of downforce, and the tyres seem to be degrading heavily so maybe the downforce would help, but would it at traction limited speeds?

Pierce89

Mclaren front end looks to have CRAZY roll stiffness. It's lifting it's outside front over kerbs.
I would assume that means a huge front ARB rate. That would be in line with the rumors of teams running no rear ride springs but still using a very soft rear ARB. If you throw all your roll stiffness in the front you should get great traction.

“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher