Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dren

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

I know, but remember when Nick Fry was always in the lime light back in the BAR and Honda days? He was always over hyping things.
Honda!

MIKEY_!

Ahh well that explains a bit. Wondered why MGP kept talking themselves up.

bizadfar
bizadfar

because he was TP back then.

And that's part of their job. Please the board, hype business to draw sponsors.

raymondu999

Fry has never been team principal. He has always been CEO
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

But you can hype too much as we know.

dren

bizadfar wrote:because he was TP back then.

And that's part of their job. Please the board, hype business to draw sponsors.
They ran damn near sponsorless.

Either way, the new additions to the team sound promising. I hope the team produces a good sound package for the W03.
Honda!

donskar
donskar

This helps (?) explain Costa's role, at least how HE sees it:
"I will be engineering director, leading the team that will take care of designing and developing the car. I will also follow young technicians. It's an exclusively designing job, I won't go to the track, a bit like I used to do in Ferrari before becoming technical director." SOURCE autosport.com
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

dren

Right, Bob Bell will be deciding the direction to go with the car. Costa and Willis will make it happen.
Honda!

Richard
Richard

Yes, it is very clear. Admittedly it wasn't clear before, but it is now.

Bell is in charge, Costa and Wills are supporting him with responsibility for defined areas.

Mercedes happen to have called the two areas as "Technology" and "Engineering", in my world they are one and the same thing, but reading what has been said the two areas are "Geeky stuff and R&D" and "hands on getting a car designed & built"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

What I'm optimistic about is that Costa will have certifiable information on how to get Merc to work its tyres.

The Ferrari 150th penned by Costa is too easy on its tyres. A fact made clear by the cars speed on harder tyres, with its inability to get heat into them quickly enough.
The Mercedes W02 on the other hand chews through its tyres more quickly, not the best quality on a Pirelli-shod F1 car.

The know-how he brings in this respect will bode well for Mercedes so long as it is applied correctly.

The problem is, with the W03 already on the drawing board, what can he do to accommodate these ideas? Im sure with Bell in charge we will see something fairly conservative but with good scope to add developments, if this is the case Costa's appointment could not have come at a better time.
More could have been done.
David Purley

raymondu999

Was that because of Costa? Or Tombazis? Remember that Tombazis was working with Newey in 2005; the year with no tyre changes
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:Was that because of Costa? Or Tombazis? Remember that Tombazis was working with Newey in 2005; the year with no tyre changes
The "flaw" of the F150th (other than not having RB7 levels of DF) was that it was too conservative in its tyre usage.
Costa took the bullet for that, so I would say Costa headed the 150th development programme. Maybe even a direct link to its tyre usage from a decision he made.

^
Speculation
David Purley

raymondu999

Heh relax JET; I'm not slagging you off on that; just thinking aloud; as tombazis was at McLaren with Newey in 2005; and it was also a point made of the F10 last year that Tombazis was potentially one of the reasons that they were so kind on their tyres
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

raymondu999 wrote:Heh relax JET; I'm not slagging you off on that; just thinking aloud; as tombazis was at McLaren with Newey in 2005; and it was also a point made of the F10 last year that Tombazis was potentially one of the reasons that they were so kind on their tyres
Im chilled dude :D

Im sure Tombazis had more than a hand in the F150th and others. Costa will have seen how he works 8)
David Purley

Ferraripilot

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote: The know-how he brings in this respect will bode well for Mercedes so long as it is applied correctly.

Acosta is stated to 'officially' begin December 1st, but when does he actually get to work?? Now? What's normal in these situations? If he doesn't see a drawing or mock-up or is given access to MB designs to assist with, then I don't really think he is going to be too busy with W03 developement.