Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

Yes complete car no chance.
But chassis is no carryover and a lot of choices have already been made.
twitter: @armchair_aero

JohnsonsEvilTwin

But engine and gearbox consist of 35-40 % of the chassis. Being load bearing to connect the front moncoque to the rear suspension.... Not much lee way to change there.
More could have been done.
David Purley

MIKEY_!

Most of the change will be to the wheel base (unless they are doing some RBR like sidepods?)

shelly
shelly

@jet: with chassis I meant monocoque

JohnsonsEvilTwin

They may have an iteration of the monocoque, but I dont think it will be passed on to the FIA for homologation just yet.
There is still plenty time for change.
David Purley

shelly
shelly

No time for changing the chassis anymore. The chassis that they have built now is the one which will undergo crash test and homologation

JohnsonsEvilTwin

shelly wrote:No time for changing the chassis anymore. The chassis that they have built now is the one which will undergo crash test and homologation

Thats what Im not so sure about.

Tubs dont need to be crash tested until late January. And only once the design has been submitted to a crash test will it be the final "homologated" version.
There is still over 100 days before this is finalised. Im very sure both Willis and Costa will have access to the designs of the tub, much along the lines of documents left at a Costa coffee shop.....

Opinions that arent paid for wouldn't be a breach of contract I would assume. So long as it doesnt involve IP from there previous employers and so long as there is scant record of said opinions(ie done in a casual fashion...vocally and not on record).
David Purley

shelly
shelly

I am quite sure that the design of the tub is already finalised, and the first tub laminated and cooked, at this point of the preseason. Crash test take place afetrwards because they include crash testing the nose and the side tubes

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Well what are the chances of a design change? Not saying Willis and Costa will change it, but the fact they will be heading up development says to me they will want to at least makes sure whats being put forward fits into what they want to do for 2012.
David Purley

shelly
shelly

Yes I think there have been talks between Bell and Costa and Willis (maybe they have disguised them as the technical part of the job interview, when they give you a pen and ask you to draw something...); but as of today, the tub deign is frozen and the first tub is already in the shop in all its blackess, maybe just waiting for the zylon panels to be glued on it

siskue2005

shelly wrote:Yes I think there have been talks between Bell and Costa and Willis (maybe they have disguised them as the technical part of the job interview, when they give you a pen and ask you to draw something...); but as of today, the tub deign is frozen and the first tub is already in the shop in all its blackess, maybe just waiting for the zylon panels to be glued on it
What?? :wtf:

Richard
Richard

Gardening leave is there for a reason, it is to ensure a person can't work for a competitor. If Wills or Costa were known to have any conversations with Merc, then there will be a swift injunction from HRT & Ferrari and a claim for damages. Don't forget HRT and Ferrari will still be paying their salaries.

It happened last year, or possibly the year before, I can't recall who.

shelly
shelly

siskue2005 wrote:
shelly wrote:Yes I think there have been talks between Bell and Costa and Willis (maybe they have disguised them as the technical part of the job interview, when they give you a pen and ask you to draw something...); but as of today, the tub deign is frozen and the first tub is already in the shop in all its blackess, maybe just waiting for the zylon panels to be glued on it
What?? :wtf:
What what?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

richard_leeds wrote:Gardening leave is there for a reason, it is to ensure a person can't work for a competitor. If Wills or Costa were known to have any conversations with Merc, then there will be a swift injunction from HRT & Ferrari and a claim for damages. Don't forget HRT and Ferrari will still be paying their salaries.

It happened last year, or possibly the year before, I can't recall who.
Costa is no longer part of Ferrari Richard. They parted company. Although contractually Ferrari can still stipulate that Costa not be employed until a set date(in this case 1st dec. 2011) they cannot stipulate whom he talks to.
So long as no Ferrari IP is discussed or transferred then Costa can talk to whom he pleases, as the law will not enforce the contract through casual chatter.
Nor can they prove anything if no Ferrari IP has been used.

In a word, unenforceable so long as Costa does it correctly by offering his opinions instead of Ferrari trademarked IP.

:D
David Purley

Richard
Richard

Gardening leave only works if a person is under contract to the original employer in return for payment.

So Costa will still be under contract to Ferrari and be paid by them. If he is “having a chat” with Merc before 1st Dec it will be breach of contract because he’ll be providing consultancy services to Merc. (assuming he has the usual exclusivity terms in his contract)

Obviously a discreet meeting is hard to prove, but there are reputational risks for Merc and the individuals. It would cause a lot of operational disruption if it went to court. Plus there is the shadow of Stepney. Also, what would they gain in return for that risk?