Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

Combination of yaw and lots of wheel/upright offset giving a large scrub radius.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

News story brewing over in France over the legalites of the RB7.

Every winning car is suspect, and the RB7 is no different.

http://www.tomorrownewsf1.com/laerodyna ... ion-24518?
It is in French but a rough translation as follows couretesy of Google translate:
Christian Horner said yesterday that the key to the success of Red Bull Racing this year has been the mastery of the diffuser system blown from the beginning of the season. However, doubts are allowed and the controversy brewing at the end of the season on the legality of the RB7. Auto Motor und Sport takes stock of two details

The front wing
Since the beginning of the season, McLaren was pointing a flexible front wing of the Red Bull. Since when the rumor has honed and Adrian Newey ironically in Singapore, but the German magazine said in its latest issue paper that competition had noticed that the front of the base had a length of 30cm and stand out from the exact point of flexibility set by the FIA.

Base in question
Already at the Monaco Grand Prix, the base of the Red Bull was the subject of questions. At the Italian GP, Mark Webber is out in the Parabolica and an amateur video (see below) has shown a broad vision of the rear of the car in Austria. Ross Brawn, was surprised to view details to see a special kit for the Monza RB7. While the cost controls are in place. The additional cost is set at 800,000 euros for KIT..... For a race!

Some teams feel that the base of the RB7 is illegal and violates certain costs imposed by the FIA.
AMuS has the original artical here: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 43971.html

So red bull escape the wing flex ban by being 30 cm ahead of the test for flex?!

And rumours of RB not respecting the RRA are gathering steam due to this...
Even otherwise stirs resentment about Red Bull One wonders how it is possible in the context of cost reduction plans to build a special Monza kit. "Three sets of wings, cover and lower floors cost in the production of 800,000 euros. For this, the wind tunnel costs. For us it would be irresponsible to sacrifice so much money for a race. Since we have to save elsewhere," expects Mercedes before team boss Ross Brawn.
Excuse the rough translation guys.
More could have been done.
David Purley

shelly
shelly

I think more than one team prepare a monza aero kit (wings and floor). I think in the context of this and the previous years, wins or super fast traks were the only piese missing for redbull,and they specificaaly choose to try hard to winin monza both for that and for the marketing boost of winning in italy.
twitter: @armchair_aero

madly
madly

JohnsonsEvilTwin

shelly wrote:I think more than one team prepare a monza aero kit (wings and floor). I think in the context of this and the previous years, wins or super fast traks were the only piese missing for redbull,and they specificaaly choose to try hard to winin monza both for that and for the marketing boost of winning in italy.

Shelly

The point of the story I think is that Red Bull arrive at every track with unique solutions for that particular track.
Most teams do, but not to the level of Red Bull.
Monaco, Hungary, Monza and Spa the cars where very different from each other. Floor diffuser and other changes to the extent Red Bull have made are quite sizeable in relation to the rest.
David Purley

shelly
shelly

@jet: I do not undestand well. Please tell me if the point is that: rbr have developed duiring the season more specific parts for each race, comapred to other tems whose adaptatio to each track did not cost as muchin terms of new pieces
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

That's what JET's saying. Red Bull's Monza package has more changes than other teams; Red Bull's Hungary package has more changes than other teams, etc
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

shelly wrote:@jet: I do not undestand well. Please tell me if the point is that: rbr have developed duiring the season more specific parts for each race, comapred to other tems whose adaptatio to each track did not cost as muchin terms of new pieces
Yes precisely this
>>>>
raymondu999 wrote:That's what JET's saying. Red Bull's Monza package has more changes than other teams; Red Bull's Hungary package has more changes than other teams, etc
David Purley

wesley123
wesley123

@Madly's pic; just arrived back home, is that Vettels or Webbers car?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

raymondu999

Vettel's
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Intego

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:News story brewing over in France over the legalites of the RB7.

Every winning car is suspect, and the RB7 is no different.

http://www.tomorrownewsf1.com/laerodyna ... ion-24518?
[...]
The front wing
Since the beginning of the season, McLaren was pointing a flexible front wing of the Red Bull. Since when the rumor has honed and Adrian Newey ironically in Singapore, but the German magazine said in its latest issue paper that competition had noticed that the front of the base had a length of 30cm and stand out from the exact point of flexibility set by the FIA.
[...]
Some teams feel that the base of the RB7 is illegal and violates certain costs imposed by the FIA.
AMuS has the original artical here: http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 43971.html

So red bull escape the wing flex ban by being 30 cm ahead of the test for flex?!
[...]
Sadly the Google translation doesn't bring up the point of the potentional illegality of the RB7. What AMS wrote was that one could see constant claw marks at a length of 30 cm beneath the tea tray/splitter and they stop abruptly at that point where FIA measures tea tray flexing. So the competitor's suspicion is an illegally controlled flexing of the splitter.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Right thank you for clearing that up for me intego.

So the "claw" marks are on which surface? The splitter?

Doesnt this fit in line with RB's explanation that car is set up to a higher rake and the "flexing is down to the the cars attitiude changeing under the various aerodynamic pressures?

Or is it a case that the splitter is in effect actiing like a foil and changing the attitude of the car under these speeds...or possibly a combination of both?
David Purley

Intego

I think they made the splitter flex to get the needed rake, but I'm no expert.
(And still it is not proven whether there's something going on at all.)
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I wonder if teams can replicate whats going on here with CFD?

I dont think there would be smoke without a fire, but like you, im no expert on this. Be good to get Scarbs view on this development as perusing his page I dont see much on it....
David Purley

raymondu999

As an aside, you could probably contact him about it through Twitter for his opinions
失败者找理由,成功者找方法