Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

If your eyes and mind were not as three-pointed as they are, I would advise you to scroll back to donskar's post of yesterday to catch up with some of what's been discussed lately. Besides, I never said Enstone was in France, but Viry-Chatillon is.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Ahh yes that old chestnut again.

Odd for a team and a man that you dislike so much that you frequent this thread so often.
Im not a blinkered fan X, I'm a realist with optimistic overtones.

You say Brawn won with the DDD "gift". The FIA being complicit in Brawn GP success. I say thats unfounded and very bitter.
You could level that to Red Bull or most other succesful teams. Mass dampers, flexing wings, EBD's..... See the pattern? :o

It amuses me no end you have the audacity to call me blinkered when in fact your hatred of this team leads you down that path yourself. Tell me im wrong X.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Mr.S
Mr.S

The dude speaks bullshit. Whitemarsh is the FOTA chairman & EBD is benefitting Mclaren the most & without it will probably trail Mercedes as well. Ferrari would probably be champion without EBD.

That is another gift to Mclaren & RBR then.

Mr.S
Mr.S

BTW the whole Mclaren is BRITISH is a complete joke. Mercedes had a 40% stake in Mclaren for many years. Even now some Bahrain group has a stake & quite a lot.

Mercedes has 2 German drivers & is owned by Mercedes Benz, a german company through & through. It is amusing to see some people troll though. DD is as illegal as ground effects or EBD. DD was a genius as in EBD. That is how championship F1 cars are made,by brilliant interpretation of the rules & finding out the loopholes.

marcush.
marcush.

somehow Michael is reeling in on Rosberg also points wise...is this MS pulling the team in his direction? Is it the new formed engineering group with Jock clear on his side of the pitbox? or is it Rosberg giving up now on Mercedes?
The points speak in both directions..Michael scoring signficantly better than last year-46 vs 60 and Rosberg only scoring half (!)the points he had last year up to race 15....speaks volumes...

Cocles

xpensive wrote:
marcush. wrote:One can say that public opinion and expectations about Mercedes GP in germany is not really an issue at this time thanks to super Seb.
Lucky times for Norby...
I think Mercedes has underperformed long enough that outside pressure has simply evaporated and nobody expects anything special in terms of results.
Above all ..if Schu would score a miracle podium everyone would account this towards MS and not the team..hmmm...A situation that is not too comfy for Mercedes .

No .I think Rosberg will leave and be substituted by di Resta or someone and the old hand has to drag the thing out of the mud ...a bit too romantic true ....but let me dream a bit.
Ferrari is Italian, nobody doubts that, Renault have French-built engines and McLaren is as British as tandoori chicken.

The strange thing with MGP is that with all this publicity on new engineers, when most people probably thought RB was one, everyone who's really into F1 would know there is nothing Mercedes or even German about the team xcept Norbert Haug.

Mercedes buyers not into F1 probably couldn't care less, unless a drver with the same passport as him/her wins?
Posts like this make me yearn for the incoming voting system. What a blatant example of cherry picking information then weighting it to suit your own purposes.

xpensive
xpensive

I find it nteresting that they still play national anthems at Grand Prix price ceremonies, I always thought it was funny to listen to the german or finnish tune when someone who's been a resident of Monaco or Switzerland for a decade had won.

They also play the team's national anthem, why I wonder which tune will ring out when MGP wins, guess we'll never know?

raymondu999

Probably German; the same way that the Austrian anthem plays for a Red Bull victory
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

xpensive
xpensive

And the Malaysian anthem when Heikki wins with Team Lotus then?

raymondu999

It's based on the team's registry to the FIA; rather than the team location. If they're registered in Norfolk then God Save the Queen. If it's registered in Malaysia then Malaysian
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

MIKEY_!

Good thing its done on where they are registered. Most of the teams are based in England. 'God Save the Queen' every race would get a bit repetitive.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Honestly though... does it matter where its based?

Brands are not limited to their countries of origin, and I personally couldnt give a monkeys nut where it comes from.
If you buy a South African made Mercedes you are still getting a Mercedes.

Or should they rebrand solely due to the fact they are based abroad?

That view is now so outdated, it reflects more on the person that posted than it does on a company basing its racing operations away from its country of origin.
David Purley

LionKing
LionKing

marcush. wrote:somehow Michael is reeling in on Rosberg also points wise...is this MS pulling the team in his direction? Is it the new formed engineering group with Jock clear on his side of the pitbox? or is it Rosberg giving up now on Mercedes?
The points speak in both directions..Michael scoring signficantly better than last year-46 vs 60 and Rosberg only scoring half (!)the points he had last year up to race 15....speaks volumes...
Last year top teams DNFed much more, it was possible for mid teams (Renault, Mercedes) to earn big chunks of points occasionally. This year you have total of 6 no-scores for the top five drivers in the championship. If they out race Massa the best they can hope is sixth :)

There is also the DRS which significantly reduces the probability of fast car being stuck behind a mid field one. So I don't think last years point hauls are achievable this year for Mercedes and Renault drivers.

marcush.
marcush.

Mercedes GP does not feel very German to me ...not even the team principle is speaking german .
But ..I go with JET it should not matter if it´s german ,british or chinese based as long as they are making progress.

to me -and sorry if people do not want to hear this- the team has not put their money where their mouth is .
It looks a bit like being too hesitant at the beginning ,realising there was a considerable gap between claims and reality and now shooting with all they got to make up ground as quickly as possible ...and there are responsibilities no question.Norby and Ross have either not realised just where they stood initially or they lured Mercedes into a fluke or even worse everyone and his dog at Mercedes knew about the reality and they gave their nod in full anticipation of what was going to happen as it was the only ways to get hold of Brawn GP at that time...and pulling a quick one over Rosberg and Schu.

-As for the difference in Rosberg and MS points score the post above suggests that it is Michael who has improved dramatically?
I really don´t think so -the pattern in Qualy tells me rosberg has the edge in absolute speed .

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Marcush

The hiring of Willis, Bell and Costa along with increasing absolute numbers to 580 AND the staged implementation of the expensive new simulator tells me that Mercedes-Benz are putting their money where their mouth is.

They are serious as a heart attack about F1. Sadly not even Mercedes can get it right first time in F1, and mistakes need to be made to be able to learn from.
I'm very interested to see what the changes mean in terms of performance next year.

Not expecting a winning car, but wouldnt it be great to see Schumacher bloodying a few noses in a competitive silberpfeil?

Im quietly confident we will see an improvement. Equally, the noises the team are making for next year are very reserved. Finally some of the Mercedes reserve is filtering into the team :mrgreen:
David Purley