Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 2/904.html

Red Bull have devised a clever way to maintain tyre temperatures in the garage...
check it out.
For Sure!!

MIKEY_!

The car seems to perform much better in clean air (as against in dirty air) so getting ahead in qualifying will take priority over actual race pace. You could say it is a defensive race strategy. The car is worse than others chasing someone but better than others when being followed.

Hope that made sense.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

ringo wrote:Not really. Say the car was setup for light fuel, or heavy fuel.
The car's behavior will change with the change in fuel. Whichever you set up for, the car will either be behaving sub optimally at one phase, meaning too much DF setting or too little. Whatever the situation is.
There is too little i know to really conclude on something without confirmation, such as from Mark Webber. But maybe it was in the rules already.
whatever the case, it's amazing that once again, like Turkey 2010 turn 8, the redbull is in a class of it's own.

Which is faster though,

130 with DRS and less downforce or 130R without DRS and more downforce?

Wouldn't lack of DRS in the turn in tomorrows race suggest it is being taken with surpluss grip?
Is this a compromise for the race?
As always, interesting thoughts Ringo. Keep this in mind along with what you've stated .. maybe the open DRS gives them a better balance in certain cornering situations. Especially in a fast corner such as 130R, balance is everything .. way more important than total DF. And this leads us to .. how important is an optimal run thru 130 R worth to optimizing your lap times in Suzuka? Given that it ties the two longest straights together I would say it's the number one corner on the circuit. I also seem to remember a lot of the offs there happen on the entry which would indicate that the corner is "pushy-understeery" on entry. Just a thought ..

MIKEY_!

Just a thought ..
And a very interesting one =D> =D> =D>

raymondu999

ringo wrote:Not really. Say the car was setup for light fuel, or heavy fuel.
The car's behavior will change with the change in fuel. Whichever you set up for, the car will either be behaving sub optimally at one phase, meaning too much DF setting or too little. Whatever the situation is.
There is too little i know to really conclude on something without confirmation, such as from Mark Webber. But maybe it was in the rules already.
whatever the case, it's amazing that once again, like Turkey 2010 turn 8, the redbull is in a class of it's own.

Which is faster though,

130 with DRS and less downforce or 130R without DRS and more downforce?

Wouldn't lack of DRS in the turn in tomorrows race suggest it is being taken with surpluss grip?
Is this a compromise for the race?
Yes; but they'll be full throttle there. The whole bone of contention was whether or not they would be full throttle; while opening DRS
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mkeRed
mkeRed

Perhaps I'm being dense but doesn't this mean they are illegal? Have they since nullified those rules or is this just a gray area interpretation?
F1.com wrote:Red Bull have devised a clever way to maintain tyre temperatures in the garage. The FIA long ago banned systems designed to do this by heating the inside of the wheel rim, as introduced by Toyota in Canada 2005. Since Belgium this year, however, Red Bull have been placing a small, pre-heated aluminium cylinder (right) inside all four brake ducts...

Intego

Looked after the rule and just found this:
FIA Technical Regulations wrote:12.4.5 No wheel material is permitted in the following exclusion zones :
- A concentric cylinder of diameter 305mm and length 115mm positioned with its inner face lying in
the same plane as the inboard face of the front wheel ;
- A concentric cylinder of diameter 305mm and length 25mm positioned with its outer face lying in the
same plane as the outboard face of the front wheel ;
- A concentric cylinder of diameter 305mm and length 100mm positioned with its inner face lying in
the same plane as the inboard face of the rear wheel ;
- A concentric cylinder of diameter 305mm and length 30mm positioned with its outer face lying in the
same plane as the outboard face of the rear wheel.
So Toyota heated the wheel rim what was then forbidden. RBR heats the brake discs with applications that aren't attached to the rims and do not infringe parc fermé rules.

And: My understanding is you can do everything you want as long as you don't do it in the race ...
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

So let's talk front wings ..

On Friday Seb crashes lightly but damages a "special" Suzuka front wing

No backup wing (?) so RB fly a new one in overnight to get there just before qually

During the race Webber gets into it with Schumy and experiences front wing damage (pic here)http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... rand-prix/

Now what's funny about all this????
1. No backup wings for a first class F1 team on overseas multi race trip?
2. Visually the wing is a duplicate of Singapore front wing in every way I could determine
3. Webber's wing gets pretty thrashed and yet the only things damaged, visually, was the tack on upper elements and front of the endplate. I cannot believe the main wing survived that hit .. it looked pretty severe in the video during the race .. lots of twisting and you can imagine that if Schumy's rear tire was able to take out the upper elements his tire was almost to Webber's nosecone.
4. Webber pits and they don't even THINK about replacing his front wing! Usually they just replace a wing routinely if it's been hit and has any damage on it. here they didn't even seem to consider that.

So what is RB doing here? Did they not have backup wings at Singapore either and still not have a backup wing at Suzuka after flying in one for Vettel? Wouldn't they fly in two or more? They are going to Korea in just a few days. Travel around the world in F1 and no spare wings? How does the wing survive such a hit? And BTW, Vettel's front wing that was damaged on Friday seemed to have the entire lower, main section completely intact .. what are they making these lower wing structures out of that they can withstand such abuse? I know in years past McLaren actually built elements of the front wings out of metal in an effort to get weight as far forward as possible, could RB do the same thing, even though weight distribution is fixed this year? This wing design is a first for RB as far designing an additional VG in it where the spec center section ends.

What do you guys think? Does this seem weird to you?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

@ Breezy

I believe the wing Vettel had was one of a kind. During practice it was noted to be the better option of the 2 and when he trashed the wing, it left Red Bull with 2 options.

a. Race with the "old wing"
b. Ship out another wing if possible.

Red Bull went with b of course, but you can bet that they had a few spare wings in case the new one didnt make it in time(rumoured to have arrived a few minutes before the start of practice 3 - Twitter).
More could have been done.
David Purley

Mr Alcatraz

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:@ Breezy

I believe the wing Vettel had was one of a kind. During practice it was noted to be the better option of the 2 and when he trashed the wing, it left Red Bull with 2 options.

a. Race with the "old wing"
b. Ship out another wing if possible.

Red Bull went with b of course, but you can bet that they had a few spare wings in case the new one didnt make it in time(rumoured to have arrived a few minutes before the start of practice 3 - Twitter).
Correct.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

RickRick
RickRick

i heard on the tv coverage that they'd flown out only the parts needed to rebuild the damaged wing, as there wasn't a complete wing available anyone else pick up on that

MIKEY_!

Perhaps they just hadn't had time to build a new wing rather than being lazy flying a new one out. They are very complex bits of equipment.

Intego

Dr. Marko said on RTL that they assembled the wing in half an hour which usually takes an hour. So they didn't fly out the whole wing.
"Posts targeted only at expressing favouritism or dislike towards people are treated as spam. They can hence be deleted without notice and could invoke a warning to the poster." f1technical forum rules

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Intego wrote:Dr. Marko said on RTL that they assembled the wing in half an hour which usually takes an hour. So they didn't fly out the whole wing.
Well the bits needed to make the wing "new" again.

I dont think it matters much what they shipped over, other than that a large portion of the wing was damaged and that RB needed to fix it in order not to run the older spec wing.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

MIKEY_! wrote:The car seems to perform much better in clean air (as against in dirty air) so getting ahead in qualifying will take priority over actual race pace. You could say it is a defensive race strategy. The car is worse than others chasing someone but better than others when being followed.

Hope that made sense.
All cars perform better in clean air rather than dirty air. I don't see any evidence to suggest it is worse at following other cars then say the Ferrari or the Mclaren.