Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ArchAngel

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

Frankly, given the less-than-satisfying conclusions of their previous stints as TD-types for their former employers, I wouldn't be surprised at all if both Costa & Willis are just plain relieved to make it back to a top-tier team while taking a step back. They can now both focus on stuff that require more technical competence (on which their inclinations might lie), rather than top-level managerial acumen & political savvy.

wunderkind
wunderkind

xpensive wrote:A tad frustrating it is with members who don't bother to read the post responding to before they decide to disagree.

What I'm obviously referring to is Bob Bell's new job-description, to manage three former Technical Directors, something which could prove to be quite a challenge.

@Don;
You know what life's like, if you have a cold but meet someone with pneumonia, you suddenly feel a lot better. :lol:
I actually think Willis and Costa will be quite easy to manage given their seniority and experience in F1. they know their respective responsibilities and tasks ahead of them.

Pierce89

Ferraripilot wrote:
marcush. wrote:minf you ,it´s not all rubbish here...and Ross words allow for a little bit of optimism already for 2012.

I do fuly agree on the potential impact of people in detail or daily problem solving issues on the day of arrival.But that´s not what they need to be winning.
That effect will be visible only later next year with the upgrades and fully only with 2013s car.
The good thing is they will have geled as a team before the new set of rules is in place.

Precisely my thoughts.

Interesting that Puma is with MB now. They must have a lot of confidence in their long-term goals. Will they remain as Ferrari's supplier as well?
Ferrari: a team. Merc: b team
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

xpensive
xpensive

Pierce89 wrote: Ferrari: a team. Merc: b team
I'm not so sure about that Pierce, this is all about image and I find it difficult to imagine a pairing with more kudos in the general automotive world than Ferrari and Mercedes?

But again, what can I do with all my Puma gym-wear now? :(
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

The fact that I watched an interview with Brawn today where he specifically said that three 'Technical Directors' would not be a problem raises serious question marks about him in my mind. Firstly, he doesn't seem to understand what a Technical Director position actually entails as it's a commonly position in Formula 1, and secondly, if he doesn't understand why that mix would be a problem then I think he's seriously out of his depth.

Willis in particular will walk in, collect a big fat pay cheque from another silly car company and then leave when he feels he can take it no longer, as he has done on many occasions.

wunderkind
wunderkind

munudeges wrote:The fact that I watched an interview with Brawn today where he specifically said that three 'Technical Directors' would not be a problem raises serious question marks about him in my mind. Firstly, he doesn't seem to understand what a Technical Director position actually entails as it's a commonly position in Formula 1, and secondly, if he doesn't understand why that mix would be a problem then I think he's seriously out of his depth.

Willis in particular will walk in, collect a big fat pay cheque from another silly car company and then leave when he feels he can take it no longer, as he has done on many occasions.
Brawn has worked with Bob Bell at Benetton and Aldo Costa at Ferrari and both are known quantities to him. He would not have hired Costa unless he was sure they could work together and both were given clearly defined duties and responsibilities. Brawn said in Suzuka that it is not a problem as long as the roles are clearly defined and I agree with him. We are not talking about two fresh engineers that require constant guidance and supervision. They know what is expected of them and they will do the job.

Costa does seem like he would like to take a step back and focus on hands-on engineering rather than managing people and conceptualisation.

As for Willis, I don't know.............seems like Brawn hired him out of the need for a first rate aerodynamicist/designer. I hope he will excel at Mercedes GP. But he never distinguished himself in previous TD roles.

Pierce89

xpensive wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: Ferrari: a team. Merc: b team
I'm not so sure about that Pierce, this is all about image and I find it difficult to imagine a pairing with more kudos in the general automotive world than Ferrari and Mercedes?

But again, what can I do with all my Puma gym-wear now? :(
Just a pro-Ferrari joke.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

marcush.
marcush.

I think it is as difficult as having some engineers in your team who do not follow your view of things at all and know better -at least they think so.
As long as all three and their relevant warriors are respecting each other and ONE guy is making the final call (and all agree that he is the guy who has it )then no problem.
The undelying question is :can Costa ,Willis accept to work under Bell AND maximise their ability at the same time ? the second issue is how will people like Bigois perform when reporting to another line of command ....

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote:I think it is as difficult as having some engineers in your team who do not follow your view of things at all and know better -at least they think so.
As long as all three and their relevant warriors are respecting each other and ONE guy is making the final call (and all agree that he is the guy who has it )then no problem.
The undelying question is :can Costa ,Willis accept to work under Bell AND maximise their ability at the same time ? the second issue is how will people like Bigois perform when reporting to another line of command ....
Obviously so marcush, when you add personalities and cultural habits, chemistry if you wish, between three recent top-dogs?

Members who say "They are professionals, they will make it work", probably never had a position in a competitive office.

dren

Well considering they all accepted the jobs, I would expect it.
Honda!

marcush.
marcush.

exp has a point there:
We have never heard Costa or willis or Bigois telling in public:Nono I would rather step back and have a position in the second or even third line of command ...I feel out of my depth in the lead and prefer to have someone in front taking the flak and making the final calls... :roll:

Willis was even the other way round and fell out with teams when not given the lead ...
And Costa came from Minardi as the youngest ever TD if I´m correct and bided his time to be TD waiting for Byrne to retire...
To step back for these two is not an easy task I could imagin e.Unfortunatelly is the question not offered to Brawn in that interview.

Could it be he promised to his buddy something and is under the impression he could create a niche for Willis...we will see .

A cool thing could be to let willis work on the 2014 project, Costa on the 2013
and Bell switch on next years project when W03 is done...

munudeges
munudeges

Indeed Marcush, that's the crux of the matter.

Yes, it's going to be very difficult for Costa, Willis, Bell and Bigois amongst them not to want to impose themselves and these problems occur in every organistion. That means that Brawn has to have a clear understanding of what he's taking on, and given that he seems to have wanted to appease all of them by giving them 'director' job titles I would say it's a strong indication that he doesn't.

munudeges
munudeges

marcush. wrote:A cool thing could be to let willis work on the 2014 project, Costa on the 2013 and Bell switch on next years project when W03 is done...
Interestingly, this is what McLaren did and I have a feeling they have had the same problem - trying to appease too many people and trying to make everyone feel important. Alas, this approach proved to be a disaster.

xpensive
xpensive

Job titles aside, even if I fail to see the logic of those in this case, I actually find it a bit more interesting to learn more about the three wise men's personalities, does Bob Bell have the natural charisma and authority to keep the other two in line?

I'm sure Gascoyne would take on just about anyone who dared voicing a differing opinion, but how is Bell in this respect?

wunderkind
wunderkind

marcush. wrote:A cool thing could be to let willis work on the 2014 project, Costa on the 2013
and Bell switch on next years project when W03 is done...
Not a good idea as all teams are only just beginning to explore the new rules and it's a much better idea to have everyone singularly focused on the 2013. Establish a strong base and then move to 2014.

As for Willis hopping to another team if things don't work out at Mercedes GP. I would say he will have to quit F1 if things don't work out for him at Mercedes GP. Where else can he go? He's been to the struggling and ill-equipped HRT team and I'm sure he would never get himself into such situation again. All that talk of Willis running his own ship and racing at a smaller team is just cheap talk. Nothing beats the opportunity of being with a future championship-contending team that is properly staffed and resourced.

I'm sure Bob Bell will be running the show as long as he has the backing of Ross Brawn. I find it hard to believe Brawn would be bringing Costa and Willis on board without thinking through all the ramifications and potential problems. He might not be a very good engineer (according to some of you), but he definitely knows how to run a team and has won a few championships along the way to prove it.