McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

beelsebob wrote:
ell66 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:McLaren are running gurneys on the top of their front wing at least in the wet:
They allways run gurneys on the fw....
Just checked the japan videos still on iPlayer, they're not there.
They did this for a few races already. Guess it depends on the track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

volarchico
volarchico

Check out the very strong rear-wing vortices (might have to view full-size)

Formula1.com:

EDIT: Gave credit for image
Last edited by volarchico on 14 Oct 2011, 17:30, edited 2 times in total.

shelly
shelly

Wonderful picture
twitter: @armchair_aero

myurr
myurr

Is that a new mini wing above the beam wing?

beelsebob
beelsebob

myurr wrote:Is that a new mini wing above the beam wing?
It's come and gone fairly regularly depending on the nature of the track.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

beelsebob wrote:
myurr wrote:Is that a new mini wing above the beam wing?
It's come and gone fairly regularly depending on the nature of the track.
I'm pretty sure this is the first, maybe second time the MP4-26 has had this.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Javert

From a foolish point of view, given the spirit of L/U sidepods (:D) it's a shame that these wings on the beam wing have been introduced so late

Seem a basilar way to use the peculiarity of that sidepods and get downforce

volarchico
volarchico

We need a location where the pictures/designs of each car for each race are stored/cataloged!

adrianjordan

volarchico wrote:We need a location where the pictures/designs of each car for each race are stored/cataloged!
In years gone by that was what this thread would have been. Sadly as the forum has gotten more popular it has moved away from that into a general discussion thread...which isn't a bad thing, but sometimes I miss the old thread...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

beelsebob
beelsebob

adrianjordan wrote:
volarchico wrote:We need a location where the pictures/designs of each car for each race are stored/cataloged!
In years gone by that was what this thread would have been. Sadly as the forum has gotten more popular it has moved away from that into a general discussion thread...which isn't a bad thing, but sometimes I miss the old thread...
Perhaps it would be wise to have a heavily moderated thread for each car containing pictures only, and a link into a discussion thread for each image's date.

raymondu999

adrianjordan wrote:
I miss bar555's compiled photos he would post every race weekend of updates. Hence why the old car threads were labelled (car name) aero-mech development
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Javert wrote:From a foolish point of view, given the spirit of L/U sidepods (:D) it's a shame that these wings on the beam wing have been introduced so late

Seem a basilar way to use the peculiarity of that sidepods and get downforce
I'm not sure how it relates to the sidepods, but in any case the little wing is usually used on high downforce tracks, you'll see most teams use it at monaco for instance.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

ringo

beelsebob wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Perhaps it would be wise to have a heavily moderated thread for each car containing pictures only, and a link into a discussion thread for each image's date.

If it was possible to have a search/filter funtion that shows everything between the [img[/img] code, that would be a good start.
A thread gallery with all these img links could also work.
I don't know the capabilities of whoever is managing the site, but if it's possible it would be nice.

One thing though, i notice that if you go back to threads of the 2009 and 2010 seasons, there are many broken links because the pics have been linked to sites that no longer have the images up. If we could somehow copy them and have an archive for F1 technical.
For Sure!!

ringo

Am i the only one seeing the vortices on the wings here?
No mention of them at all?
open image in new tab to behold the 5ft long vortices!!
For Sure!!

bill shoe
bill shoe

ringo wrote:Am i the only one seeing the vortices on the wings here?
No mention of them at all?
open image in new tab to behold the 5ft long vortices!!
They look remarkably straight and consistent. Is this roughly what the end-plate slots and cutouts try to achieve? Does this minimize the inefficiency at the tips of the wing?