McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

Shrieker wrote:If an f-ducted front wing is configured to stall only above a given speed (say, 300km/h) it might end up getting stalled all the time when it gets clogged. I don't think that was the case with McLaren in Korea though. But in theory yes, a clogged part can cause an f-ducted front wing to stall all the time.
I'm pretty sure it would be the opposite, the clog would stop the duct working so it wont stall at high speed.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Shrieker

Well, with the rw f-duct, to stall it the driver simply clogged a hole with his knee, didn't he ? So I think it can work both ways, depends where the air flow is getting blocked.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Shrieker wrote:Well, with the rw f-duct, to stall it the driver simply clogged a hole with his knee, didn't he ? So I think it can work both ways, depends where the air flow is getting blocked.
By blocking the hole in the cockpit it allowed the air to reach the RW since the driver was effectively plugging a leak in the piping. Not the other way round.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Shrieker

Well I don't know why this is still going on, but quite simply a blockage or a semi blockage in an aero system can cause a disruption and loss of df in theory.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ledzep4pm

On FP1 this morning they ran lewis with with uncleaned Korea wing, including flow vis. From what Ted Kravits said it sounded like he could see rubber clogged in the slot, also he said the down force loss was closer to 10% than 10 points.
Twitter @ledzep4pm

shelly
shelly

10% of the downforce of the whole car = 45 points
or 10% of the downforce of the wing = 15 points?
twitter: @armchair_aero

raymondu999

I think we need to take technical stuff that comes from Ted Kravitz with a slight grain of salt. How exactly did he find out that it was 10%, for example?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

astracrazy
astracrazy

I'm guessing he asked what they were doing when he saw flow vis and they told him? It is prob 10% of the front wing

raymondu999

they might have told him they were doing tests, or finding out what went wrong in Korea - but it's not very likely that they tell him "oh we found out we lost 10% downforce in Korea"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

shelly
shelly

Ok now I got it - Whitmarsh said 10 points and kravitz is assuming it likely means 10%, which puts forward the usual thread "how much is a point of downforce?".

IIRC the issue was settled in that thread
twitter: @armchair_aero

astracrazy
astracrazy

raymondu999 wrote:they might have told him they were doing tests, or finding out what went wrong in Korea - but it's not very likely that they tell him "oh we found out we lost 10% downforce in Korea"
I thought Whitmarsh has already said it was about 10 points...

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

New front wing:

Difference appears to be only in the main plane.

Richard
Richard

Not sure there is any difference. We know they ran the same wing in FP1.

Marco Alves
Marco Alves

From Scarbsf1's blog:

PlatinumZealot

Looks like they have reverted to flat main plain. THat is a loss of a vortex channel. I think they have found more downforce around the back then... Need to look into it a bit more.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028