COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Richard
Richard

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

bhallg2k wrote:I think Mrs. Combs is tending to their collective wounded pride by starting a good ol' fashioned pissing contest. It's the Texas way.
That should please Bernie, its his favourite past time. He may be short but he always wins.

kalinka
kalinka

richard_leeds wrote: Or perhaps he couldn't think of anything else to say. I seriously think that Bernie just likes scaring people once in a while when he's bored to see how they'll react. An occasional reminder to the F1 world that he pulls the strings.
+1

That was the situation a few years back with Hungaroring too,though it didn't get much attention. For a few days it was a total panic, even track director said they'll probably loose the contract, and then....they signed an 8year contract at next race...Of course the goverment had to pump in more cash for that.

Honestly I'm sick of Mr.E and his dirty tactics. Maybe it's productive, but it totally ignores the most important factor > F1 fans. In long term it looks like a total chaos. Tracks are going in and out in every year. The whole F1 needs stability, including list of F1 tracks. It would be enough to review the track list I'd say every 4 or 5 years.

strad

Except there's nothing more to wring out,,,especially for Bernie.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bill shoe
bill shoe

After reading the latest Adam Cooper columns I think it's over.

Tavo Hellmund, the promoter, had a contract with Bernie. Tavo did not fullfil financial obligations of the contract. Therefore Bernie cancelled the contract. Therefore there is no contract that the track could buy from Tavo. It's not clear if Tavo was supposed to produce letters of credit in addition to the Texas subsidy, or if he was not able to complete the process to obtain the subsidy itself. The 2012 race santion fee to Bernie is already 4 months late. As we know, the Texas politicians have made it clear the subsidy is not a gauranteed thing anymore.

The Austin Grand Prix does not have funding (the subsidy) or any contract with Bernie. The track simply owns some dirt east of Austin, and they would like to hold a Formula 1 race next year. There are many people in the world who own dirt and would like to hold Formula 1 races. This status rarely leads to actual races.

An actual race will require the track to 1) obtain and guarantee the subsidy from Texas, 2) obtain a contract from Bernie, and 3) build a racetrack.

There's a great quote that goes "If we had ham, then we would have ham and eggs, if we had eggs". This is the current Austin race status.

bhall
bhall

I think it would be a damn shame for all involved if they can't get together and somehow make this thing work. However, like Ecclestone, I wouldn't wager any money on a successful outcome. This is, after all, a situation that involves some of the most stubborn people on Earth.

Many Americans, especially in Texas and around the South, have a nasty tendency to subscribe to an insular worldview that fails to include an actual view of the world. So, it's very likely that many of the USGP organizers have no clue how American motorsport is perceived around the world, especially in light of the USF1 fiasco. They don't realize that their dysfunction is only fanning those flames.

Moreover, Austin is a really cool town. (Unofficial motto: "Keep Austin weird.") I'm convinced that all involved with the F1 "circus," from teams to journalists, would walk away from this event with raving reviews that would do nothing but enhance American stature around the world. The good publicity would enable this event to more than pay for itself.

Instead, we have a situation in which everyone is seemingly content to wear a mask of their own caricature and really emphasize the joke this has become.

scuderiafan

This is all really disappointing. I wonder how well the proposed New York GP will do. It seems to be Bernie's little baby.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

donskar
donskar

bhallg2k wrote:It should be noted that a disproportionately large number of politicians in Texas are breathtakingly full of **it, even by normal American standards. Sometimes you have to just sort of stand in awe of the things they do. Their governor, Rick Perry, is running for president with a campaign that proudly proclaims his stupidity on almost every issue. They think it makes him more accessible to everyday citizens. (This tactic was introduced by Ronald Reagan and perfected by George W. Bush, and both produced staggering results. World, start getting ready.)

They're also a prideful bunch, those Texans. The comptroller (also known as an accountant), Susan Combs, claims that money from Texas' Major Events Trust Fund cannot be disbursed until after an event takes place.

Well, that glorified CPA is lying. I took the following from her very own website:

"An event, which must not be held more than once per year, expected to generate at least $15 million in local and state tax receipts is eligible for prior funding to attract and secure the event. If the event recurs, the previous year’s receipts can be used to attract and secure subsequent events."

Frankly, Texas is like a toddler who doesn't play well with others because he never quite learned to share his toys. I think they feel cheated by the NJ race, as it has robbed them of their status as the only game in town. So now they're sulking because someone had the audacity to "mess with Texas." (According to many t-shirts, hats, coffee mugs and bumper stickers found all over the state, that is something one should never, ever do.)

I think Mrs. Combs is tending to their collective wounded pride by starting a good ol' fashioned pissing contest. It's the Texas way.
I see your location is Georgia. And that qualifies you in what way to pontificate on Texas?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I just hope this race is on the schedule for 2012 or even 2013, we need a GP on the western portion of the country as well, that's if the Jersey race isn't threatened sooner or later.

It would truly be sad if this was cancelled.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall
bhall

donskar wrote:I see your location is Georgia. And that qualifies you in what way to pontificate on Texas?

Like I said, they're a prideful bunch, those Texans. :wink:

I'm not trying to denigrate Texas; I'm just trying to find any sort of rhyme or reason for the absurd goings-on down there these days. Relax.

Besides, every town/state/country has its own set of idiosyncratic peculiarities. It's simply inescapable.

(You have to admit, though, that Texas doesn't do itself any favors when it comes to dispelling stereotypes. Read any number of publications on the subject of Texas politics, and that becomes patently obvious.)
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 17 Nov 2011, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed quote that was removed from the thread

Pierce89

bhallg2k wrote:
Many Americans, especially in Texas and around the South, have a nasty tendency to subscribe to an insular worldview that fails to include an actual view of the world. So, it's very likely that many of the USGP organizers have no clue how American motorsport is perceived around the world, especially in light of the USF1 fiasco. They don't realize that their dysfunction is only fanning those flames.
Wow! If you're that embarrassed to be in the South, then leave. ...
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 17 Nov 2011, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal comment
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Do we have to get so personal? If you feel like you do then please hesitate when hitting the submit button.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bhall
bhall

Who said anything about being embarrassed? Please don't pretend to know how I feel about something in general when I've only stated my opinion about something specific.

It is in no way slanderous to illustrate the sociopolitical history of a state or a region. Like it or not, it is what it is. That anyone would take offense to it is exactly the sort of fragile pride I had in mind when I made my point. It's the embodiment of the very reason why the USGP in Austin is likely to remain nothing but an unrealized dream.

kalinka
kalinka

scuderiafan wrote:This is all really disappointing. I wonder how well the proposed New York GP will do. It seems to be Bernie's little baby.
At the beginning all the new tracks were enjoying Bernie's attention and necessary PR BS statements on how the track is wonderful and so on...but that means nothing later. Seems that he only understands the hard talk (of the investors), and he ain't got any sweet spot for any track in the world. In short term it's understandable, but how can you espect from a 81yr old to think long term ? :) Sorry for that, couldn't miss the point.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Suprise suprise, I hate to say I told you so ;)

strad

The man from Dalton said
the USGP in Austin is likely to remain nothing but an unrealized dream.
God I hope not!!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss