COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

WhiteBlue wrote:It shows that my general observation was pretty accurate.
Do tell.

strad

HUH????????
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WhiteBlue wrote:Austin is on the officially approved schedule now. So the conclusion is that they have paid up. The BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula ... 067944.stm
mentions a fee of $35m. This is thought to increase by a contractually agreed 7% annual rise. A special finance package that reduced the initial payment to $25m and used a steeper annual increase of 10% was offered to Hellmund. But that package was withdrawn when COTA failed to sign the contract issued to Hellmund. The loss of the special package and the advance finance from the METF will mean that there will be a massive finance double digit cost increase. On top the circuit will have to accelerate the construction schedule to catch up with the time lost since the summer slow down. That is also very likely to cost them extra. The whole thing looks like a lot of egg on Bobby Epstein's face for trying to play hard ball with Tavo and Bernie. I would not be surprised if the price for this folly would add up to $ 20-30m.
...and now he has to explain all of that to his investors.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

kadisandrew wrote:I see that as a very bad area to be absolutely genuine. I see that as in the center of NASCAR nation, where I don't see there being many regional lovers engaged.
Have you ever been to Austin?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Glad this is over. At least I hope it is.

Mr Alcatraz

strad wrote:HUH????????
Don't waste your time Strad. This thing has been beaten to death.
Some Europeans don't know the difference between Austin and Talladega.
BTW I just watched a replay of the 2006 USGP. 120,000 fans showed up for that race after an equal amount of fans had to sit through the 2005 debacle where only 6 cars ran in the event, (which btw I blame on Michelin for not anticipating the demands on the tires at that venue but that is another topic altogether).
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

bhall
bhall

The international view of U.S. interest in F1 has always cracked me up. I guess it must be a pretty well-kept secret that the USGP is consistently the most-attended race of the season.

On another note: THERE'S GOING TO BE A GRAND PRIX THREE HOURS FROM WHERE I LIVE!!!

Happy Christmas, everybody.

Richard
Richard

bhallg2k wrote:THERE'S GOING TO BE A GRAND PRIX THREE HOURS FROM WHERE I LIVE!!!

Dare I say both comments are welcome but rather premature? I hope both turn out to be true.

Scorpaguy

IF....they can catch-up to the construction scedule....

...Austin will make the event work...its a good mix of upper crusters and close to tire squeal luvin' southern boys.

I will buy tickets to all 3 events...and I live 500 miles away. Great climate....great scenery...Europeans will really dig the place.

Mr Alcatraz

bhallg2k wrote:THERE'S GOING TO BE A GRAND PRIX THREE HOURS FROM WHERE I LIVE!!!

Dare I say both comments are welcome but rather premature? I hope both turn out to be true.
Amen
Last edited by Mr Alcatraz on 08 Dec 2011, 03:38, edited 2 times in total.

bhall
bhall

richard_leeds wrote:Dare I say both comments are welcome but rather premature? I hope both turn out to be true.
Don't rain on my parade, man. I get enough of that living in Texas, where it seems to rain only on my parade.

Anyone know if any information on tickets been released?

EDIT: Of course, it hasn't. It was silly of me to even ask.

Mr Alcatraz

bhallg2k wrote:The international view of U.S. interest in F1 has always cracked me up. I guess it must be a pretty well-kept secret that the USGP is consistently the most-attended race of the season.

On another note: THERE'S GOING TO BE A GRAND PRIX THREE HOURS FROM WHERE I LIVE!!!

Dig it bro!

strad

IF....they can catch-up to the construction scedule....
No sweat!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FW17

Mr Alcatraz wrote: (which btw I blame on Michelin for not anticipating the demands on the tires at that venue but that is another topic altogether).

??

FW17

WhiteBlue wrote: They will take a huge hit due to Epstein's folly and he will get a lot of egg on his face when the details of the deal will emerge in the future. Estimates range from $20m short term to $80m over the duration of the contract.
??
"I want to thank and commend Bobby Epstein for getting us across the finish line. Bobby's perseverance and leadership kept the project on track despite unfair and unfounded criticism.

"Our investors have believed all along that this project has tremendous benefit for our region, and provides a strong economic engine for the future," stated Epstein, founding partner of Circuit of The Americas.

"We remain committed to reaching our goal of being valuable community partners as we establish a platform for sports and entertainment. We're glad that Tavo's vision of bringing F1 to the people of Texas will become a reality."

"We have a substantial number of fans who have expressed interest in buying tickets and hospitality, so today is a win for all of them as much as it is for Circuit of The Americas," said Steve Sexton, president of Circuit of The Americas, added.

"We encourage everyone to visit our website and register for information. Registered fans will receive the first communication regarding ticket sales plans. In a matter of weeks we will have more exciting news as we unveil our full calendar of world class events."

- Autosport
I guess Tevo is still the good guy in all of this.