COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

Scorpaguy

Michelin problems at Indy 2005

Sorry WhiteBlue...I'm just a little prone to consiracy theories since the Michelin/Indy fiasco :D

Just a bit of levity...Occam's razor actually points to a complex deal being fouled by normal, petty human behavior. I just hope it happens....and on schedule. Texas has been in a drought for some time now...so if the inevitable wet period ensues...we are in big trouble as the site soil could prove problematic construction-wise.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 11 Dec 2011, 05:42, edited 2 times in total.

Pup
Pup

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

WhiteBlue wrote:So why did Epstein refuse to finance the fee and failed to close the preferential deal thereby?
Because you don't loan $10 million dollars to someone who has no collateral.

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:So why did Epstein refuse to finance the fee and failed to close the preferential deal thereby?
I don't think so! If the guy is your partner in business and the loan is essential to secure your own investment at a minute increase of your exposure you would. Particularly if it closes a deal which is essential to the survival of your own business. As we know the failure to make the loan will cost Epstein a lot more money. History showed that he effed up badly.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pup
Pup

WhiteBlue wrote:
Pup wrote:
I don't think so!
I think so.
If the guy is your partner in business and the loan is essential to secure your own investment at a minute increase of your exposure you would.
Why would you loan a partner money to secure an asset when that asset would be the only thing that parter brings to the deal?
As we know the failure to make the loan will cost Epstein a lot more money.
No we don't.

By the way, you do know that Tavo isn't actually German, don't you? He just has a German name. Just so you know, I do, too, so perhaps you shouldn't disagree with me so much.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Michelin posts split off into seperate discussion:

:arrow: Michelin problems at Indy 2005 - F1T
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

WhiteBlue

Pup wrote:Why would you loan a partner money to secure an asset when that asset would be the only thing that parter brings to the deal?
I have explained that in great detail, but you seem to ignore it. In a nut shell the CotA investment of $300m is busted without an F1 contract.

Pup wrote:By the way, you do know that Tavo isn't actually German, don't you? He just has a German name. Just so you know, I do, too, so perhaps you shouldn't disagree with me so much.
I never thought about his name for a second and I don't think that the nationality or pedigree of the promoter has anything to do with the Austin business case.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pup
Pup

WhiteBlue wrote:I have explained that in great detail, but you seem to ignore it.
I dismiss it. There's a difference...
WhiteBlue wrote:In a nut shell the CotA investment of $300m is busted without an F1 contract.
And Bernie's GP is busted without a contract. And Tavo's windfall is busted without a contract. What's your point?

-

So, who had the most to lose? COTA, who'd done little more than push dirt around for four months? I'd guess that there was less than the first year's race fee in the job when they shut down. Or was it Tavo, who was looking at losing probably his only chance in life to join the big time? Or Bernie, who would lose at least his $25 million fee with no race to take Austin's spot on the calendar next year. Bernie and COTA were in it about the same, and all the hand wringing was just a little hard ball being played by both sides, with Tavo being no more than a pawn to both sides.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

By the way, you do know that Tavo isn't actually German, don't you? He just has a German name. Just so you know, I do, too, so perhaps you shouldn't disagree with me so much.
Not sure what the origin of Tavo's name has to do with anything or how the subject came up, but it got me curious and I did a quick google search of "gustavo origin".

The first few results showed the origin as:

1. Italian
2. Germanic
3. Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
4. Italian
5. Spanish, Portuguese, Italian
6. Spanish
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Pup
Pup

His family is German/Mexican, I've read. Actually, I believe his father was Mexican citizen. I don't know if Tavo was born here or in Mexico.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:His family is German/Mexican, I've read. Actually, I believe his father was Mexican citizen. I don't know if Tavo was born here or in Mexico.
His Mom's from Austin, & Dad is from Mexico. Tavo was born in Austin

What does this have to do with anything?
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 12 Dec 2011, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.

Pup
Pup

You're new here, aren't you?

:lol:

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:You're new here, aren't you?

Relatively......and?

So what's the answer?

strad

I think he means it's part of a running battle Hairy..nuthin to do with you. :) Thanks for the info,,,I did not know that and I agree Ancestry . com is the place for genealogy not F1Technical.
At this point I have my fingers crossed and am signed up for ticket info.
Keep us apprised. Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

strad wrote:I think he means it's part of a running battle Hairy..nuthin to do with you. :) Thanks for the info,,,I did not know that and I agree Ancestry . com is the place for genealogy not F1Technical.
At this point I have my fingers crossed and am signed up for ticket info.
Keep us apprised. Image
Thanks!

I'll try. Gotta say there's not much going on out there the last few days. No work today, and before the stoppage they had gone to a full 7-day schedule. Will be interesting to see what's up tomorrow. I'll go out and check it out on my way to work at 4pm.

Pup
Pup

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Pup wrote:You're new here, aren't you?

Relatively......and?

So what's the answer?
Sorry, WB has a well-recognized tendency to support anything and everything German. It's a running joke to tease him about it.