COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

xpensive
xpensive

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

All it takes is a quick search on Facebook to realize that "Hellmund" is a common name in Germany, while "Tavo" is of course short for Gustavo. But anyway, WB being pre-occupied with German connections would of course be news to me.

On top of that, I cannot for a second imagine that he would lend himself to support a wannabee-profiteer, or MrE "mini-me", like Tavo Hellmund for such narrow-minded reasons? I am sure that WB has far more honorable incentives than that.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Richard
Richard

Anyway, back to the topic ...

The Autsin folk were being silly billies. Any attempt to renegotiate with Bernie only leads one way. That's because Bernie is happy to tear up a void contract and walk away leaving the promoters with the huge sunk costs of a partially developed track.

So I agree with WB that the new contract needlessly costs more money than the original because the Austin folk started bickering while Bernie rubbed his hands with glee.

WhiteBlue

richard_leeds wrote:Anyway, back to the topic ...

The Autsin folk were being silly billies. Any attempt to renegotiate with Bernie only leads one way. That's because Bernie is happy to tear up a void contract and walk away leaving the promoters with the huge sunk costs of a partially developed track.

So I agree with WB that the new contract needlessly costs more money than the original because the Austin folk started bickering while Bernie rubbed his hands with glee.
Its only puppy yapping. :wink:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Just found this new rFactor video of CoTA posted yesterday on youtube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cHCkTRpFQQ[/youtube]

The elevation changes are actually much more dramatic than they appear here, but this looks like a fairly good estimation of the circuit.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Pup
Pup

richard_leeds wrote:So I agree with WB that the new contract needlessly costs more money than the original because...
Actually, we don't know anything about the new contract, other than the fact that it's with COTA rather than Tavo. It could be a ten year deal for $1 a race, or a one year deal for $100m with a clause that Red McCombs has to wave the checkered flag wearing a pink tutu.

strad

Just found this new rFactor video of CoTA posted yesterday on youtube.
Hairy Hairy Hairy...I know Texas...I've lived there...It ain't gonna be that green. :-P
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

There's also going to be a bit of camber on the road.
Saishū kōnā

xpensive
xpensive

Pup wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:So I agree with WB that the new contract needlessly costs more money than the original because...
Actually, we don't know anything about the new contract, other than the fact that it's with COTA rather than Tavo. It could be a ten year deal for $1 a race, or a one year deal for $100m with a clause that Red McCombs has to wave the checkered flag wearing a pink tutu.
The only known difference, as far as I can tell at this point, is there is one profiteer less to share the spoils?

bhall
bhall

hairy_scotsman wrote:The elevation changes are actually much more dramatic than they appear here, but this looks like a fairly good estimation of the circuit.
Texas has hills?

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

bhallg2k wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:The elevation changes are actually much more dramatic than they appear here, but this looks like a fairly good estimation of the circuit.
Texas has hills?
Yes, Texas has hills, and plenty of them. While the track lies on the east, flatter side of town, there is still 133 feet of elevation change. Except for the esses, you're either going to be climbing or descending pretty much the whole way around.

ETA: I see now you live in Houston. Yeah, VERY flat there. I went to high school in Conroe. Meh.

I can tell you all about the great elevation change at this circuit until I'm blue in the face, but nothing is going to prepare you for the way it will appear when you first visit the place.
Hairy Hairy Hairy...I know Texas...I've lived there...It ain't gonna be that green.
Texas is very big. Where did you live? Austin sits pretty much right on a dividing line. Dry & hilly on the west. Flat farmland to the north. Flat and VERY green farmland to the east. East Texas is as green as Scotland and is very wet.

The green in the video is mostly from the line of trees all the way around the track, which likely won't be there, and the green grass alongside the track, which likely won't be there. I see no reason the landscaped areas of the venue can't be as green as they want them to be, however. We're in a drought now, but typically Austin is a very green, beautiful city.
There's also going to be a bit of camber on the road.
Give the guys a break. They haven't even been out there yet. When you consider that, it's pretty good, imho. You should have seen the first one.
Last edited by hairy_scotsman on 13 Dec 2011, 11:42, edited 2 times in total.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

xpensive wrote:
Pup wrote:
The only known difference, as far as I can tell at this point, is there is one profiteer less to share the spoils?
You mean they're less the guy who built the whole deal? Actually, despite the removal of his picture from the COTA website, everything I'm hearing indicates Hellmund still has not been bought out, although CoTA investors might like to encourage that appearance. The website shows only photos of "staff" now. It's kinda funny, 'cause they only show the President, VP, CFO, & CMO, but there's room on the page for everyone else in the office.

xpensive
xpensive

No actually, I mean they're less an x-formula 2 driver who thought that just because of his dad's alleged friendhip with MrE, he was somehow entitled to a windfall of greenbacks without any input from himself whatsoever.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

xpensive wrote:No actually, I mean they're less an x-formula 2 driver who thought that just because of his dad's alleged friendhip with MrE, he was somehow entitled to a windfall of greenbacks without any input from himself whatsoever.
Hellmund brought a $25M/year asset...the METF funding. You're ignoring the several years of work Hellmund actually did and the relationships he has that made this deal a reality and attempting to spin it as if it all just fell into his lap. It didn't, and without Hellmund, there would be no CoTA.

It's as simple as that.

Richard
Richard

The COTA chaps said that Bernie's proposal to them included additional demands that they crossed out and sent back to him, and then Bernie said the race was over because the new guys refused to sign the contract. Then it went quiet for a few days and finally COTA managed to agree something with Bernie.

Then Epstein said "Mr. Ecclestone is a masterful negotiator. He fights hard for his company's best interests"

Admittedly it is a presumption but it would appear that Bernie managed to squeeze a few more bob out the deal.

WhiteBlue

Actually Bernie said that they had to take his contract or leave it. Negotiation was not an option. They had called his terms unreasonable before. The BBC reported that the initial race fee had gone up from $25m to $35m. And then McComb said that Bernie received his check on the day the race was confirmed by the WMSC. Epstein said that Bernie was a masterful negotiator. If you ask me, everybody who thinks that CotA paid the price of the earlier contract with Tavo lives in cloud cuckoo land.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)