Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dren

Re: Ferrari F2012

aleksandergreat wrote:
dren wrote:
beelsebob wrote:Tunnels... could they be trying to do what I was thinking – heating air in tunnels using the exhaust coiled round it/the engine/floor etc and pushing that hot gas into the diffuser rather than the exhaust.
That would be a very interesting packaging layout for sure.
And dont forget beacuse i heard also in dember some rumors abaout Rory reintergration of venturi efect...

Maybe ferrari will suck the head out of engine area throw air chanles toward rear of the car to seal side of difuozor (ground efect)...

that idea bodhered me the whole preseason...hmm when i look on the rumors and conect together that could be the solution...
That sort of is what I was thinking. Something to speed up air to seal the diffuser sides at the rear. A floor on top of the floor that acts similar to the blown diffuser Mclaren failed with in testing.
Honda!

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

aleksandergreat wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Where/how would said tunnel exit?
The same place teams like RBR and McLaren were pushing their exhaust to this year.
And maybe durin the whole difuozor.. like red bull with one exception, air going throw betwen bottom floor ond upper floor (yelow)..

Yes, this looks interesting. No idea what the effect would be but the FIA would surely find it very hard to make illegal considering they would in effect merely be enlarging the gap between the 'top' and 'bottom' floor that Red Bull had last year - maybe they'll look to link it up with the beam wing and somehow feed exhaust gases underneath- with the air coming out from under the 'flat floor' haven't got the foggiest what this may achieve mind.

aleks_ader

bonjon1979 wrote: Yes, this looks interesting. No idea what the effect would be but the FIA would surely find it very hard to make illegal considering they would in effect merely be enlarging the gap between the 'top' and 'bottom' floor that Red Bull had last year - maybe they'll look to link it up with the beam wing and somehow feed exhaust gases underneath- with the air coming out from under the 'flat floor' haven't got the foggiest what this may achieve mind.
Exhaust gases no, but hot air YES Hot air from engine and head exchanging in radiaton from exhaus pipes!
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

munudeges
munudeges

scarbs wrote:Doesnt this rumour about the floor, sound like the surface cooling idea from Brabham on the BT46? Smaller radiators = less drag and more flow to the diffuser.
It certainly does sound like something similar, but it's very difficult to tell from the sketchy Tweets - assuming they're reasonably accurate.

If they are then this sounds like some sort of cooling system via creative use of various materials and they're redirecting that heat for some aerodynamic benefit. It sounds fraught with danger. As Gordon Murray and McLaren last year found out controlling and measuring that in practice is exceptionally difficult, especially with the regulations as they are. It all has to be passive.

In all honesty I think this needed to be designed and tested months ago, if not longer. If the activity that is being described is going on now it's a bit late.

aleks_ader

munudeges wrote: In all honesty I think this needed to be designed and tested months ago, if not longer. If the activity that is being described is going on now it's a bit late.
With this amound of people? I dont think so 2 months are actully quite comfort space for devenelope...
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

munudeges
munudeges

No, it isn't.

Hemsy
Hemsy

aleksandergreat wrote:
munudeges wrote: In all honesty I think this needed to be designed and tested months ago, if not longer. If the activity that is being described is going on now it's a bit late.
With this amound of people? I dont think so 2 months are actully quite comfort space for devenelope...
Two months is enough for testing a first iteration but it will take a lot longer to have a race ready spec, one which is free of reliability issues. Remember a lot of teams had the F-duct ready to test in just a few weeks but some took almost half a season before they were confident of racing it.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

scarbs wrote:Doesnt this rumour about the floor, sound like the surface cooling idea from Brabham on the BT46? Smaller radiators = less drag and more flow to the diffuser.
This technique would have been useful in any of the past years. Why was it not developed then?

I would suggest that there would need to be some kind of recent material or process development to make it possible. What could this be?

Brian

wesley123
wesley123

because teams havent yet came up wit the idea? Why wasnt the F-duct developped before? because no one came up with the idea before.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Holm86

hardingfv32 wrote:
This technique would have been useful in any of the past years. Why was it not developed then?

I would suggest that there would need to be some kind of recent material or process development to make it possible. What could this be?

Brian

Read a little back in this thread. We discussed it earlier. Some suggestions is that Ferrari have developed a new coating material unlike zircotec. This could perhaps be a material with very high thermal cunductivity???

aleks_ader

Holm86 wrote:
hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian

Read a little back in this thread. We discussed it earlier. Some suggestions is that Ferrari have developed a new coating material unlike zircotec. This could perhaps be a material with very high thermal cunductivity???
That is the problem zirotech is isolation material, maybe ferrari just use this name to confuse the other teams?

MIKEY_!

Maybe a thin layer of zircotech goes above the plank to stop the engine heat damaging it.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Holm86 wrote:Read a little back in this thread. We discussed it earlier. Some suggestions is that Ferrari have developed a new coating material unlike zircotec. This could perhaps be a material with very high thermal cunductivity???
So I am looking for a material better than say copper? We do have to channel water through the substrate, correct?

Seems odd that we would not see something in the computer chip cooling field first. I doubt Ferrari has the same research budgets of the chip or computer manufactures?

Brian

wesley123
wesley123

hardingfv32 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:Read a little back in this thread. We discussed it earlier. Some suggestions is that Ferrari have developed a new coating material unlike zircotec. This could perhaps be a material with very high thermal cunductivity???
So I am looking for a material better than say copper? We do have to channel water through the substrate, correct?

Seems odd that we would not see something in the computer chip cooling field first. I doubt Ferrari has the same research budgets of the chip or computer manufactures?

Brian
excuse me but in what way is an heatsink(like in computer/cpu cooling) even possible?

Apart from that, as in computer cooling watercooling beats aircooling by far. And guess waht, the radiators of the engines are filled with fluid.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

MIKEY_!

But radiators don't add energy under the floor.