Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Forza

Re: Ferrari F2012 (pre-launch speculation)

We will see the first basic version of 663 on 3rd February. There is lots of interesting speculations about what Ferrari did with the floor so I hope to see some usefull pictures durring testing. I don't like to speculate too much, so I want to see the car first before making any conclusions. Zirotech will probably be used in areas that need to be isolated from heat (exhaust and engine) and position of exhaust pipes could show us where is used.

Ferrari said that new 663 will have some concepts that have never been used before by Ferrari and that shape won't be pretty so there could be some truth in those rumors. We will find out soon.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Forza wrote:We will see the first basic version of 663 on 3rd February. There is lots of interesting speculations about what Ferrari did with the floor so I hope to see some usefull pictures durring testing. I don't like to speculate too much, so I want to see the car first before making any conclusions. Zirotech will probably be used in areas that need to be isolated from heat (exhaust and engine) and position of exhaust pipes could show us where is used.

Ferrari said that new 663 will have some concepts that have never been used before by Ferrari and that shape won't be pretty so there could be some truth in those rumors. We will find out soon.
We won't see the floor that has been most recently mentioned as of late in testing, and if we do it will be at the last test session. As far as the "rumors" go, there are two people who are very trustworthy & spot on. They knew about the exhaust collector months before any media outlet reported it after the Young Drivers Test. And as Stefano said, many new solutions never before used, which again aligns with what some have been saying.
Do expect to see, if possible a version of the Lotus Renault Reactive Ride Height System in the 2012 car. They've been working on it since December.

It will be interesting to see what other concepts & solutions they've come up with.

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Maggot

Maggot

might all this "Byrne Floor" speculation just be rumor ?? as to why they were going to do another crash test. But obviously its because they failed the first one?

So how true is this new floor then ?

TEHNOS

](*,)

So 663 is extreme, not pretty and failed crash test...

Promising.

Goran2812
Goran2812

failed crash test because they want to make certain elements lighter...
they'all add some more carbon to the thing and it'll be allright...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

amouzouris

I am actually optimistic that its not pretty because most of the times innovation isn't pretty...i just hope that the modifications to pass the crash test wont hurt performance...

dren

Autosport reports that Ferrari have a similar system to the Lotus/Renault anti-dive.
Honda!

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

Giblet
Giblet

Teams often fail a crash test. They are not failing, they are pushing the limits of weight and strength.

Ferrari is very good at carbon.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Moanlower

TEHNOS wrote:](*,)

So 663 is extreme, not pretty and failed crash test...

Promising.
In order to make and call it extreme, you have to push all boundries which includes pushing dimensions and weights to the limit of what's possible/acceptable. The chances that you end up with a car that's not as pretty as you would've liked is very likely. Also, if the car passes all crash tests at the first attempt it most probably means you build it stronger/heavier than necesarry.

Edit: damn Giblet. it shows how slow I am at putting my thoughts in words and translate them in english #-o
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

italian
italian

dren wrote:Autosport reports that Ferrari have a similar system to the Lotus/Renault anti-dive.
But Lotus-Renault's tested it yet.
Some rumors say Ferrari used in the crash test a very-light chassis. Crossed fingers!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

dren wrote:Autosport reports that Ferrari have a similar system to the Lotus/Renault anti-dive.
Both Jose Louis & TruZoneF1 yesterday said that Ferrari had been developing a similar system to that of Lotus Renault. AutoSport now confirms what they said. It only shows that these two speak the truth and what they say isn't just "twitter rumors".

italian
italian

I've read the 2012 technical regulations and I don't understand the purpose of the article: 9.8.2
There are too restrictions in my opinion.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein