Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
N12ck

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Tozza Mazza wrote:I'm working on a little analysis of the MP4-27.

Here it is so far. Should be done soon!

Need to work on sidepods, nose, undernose, splitter and engine cover...

Just using regulations, the side image of the car, common sense, and CAD for this...

Could you add all measurements onto that, as I'm not sure on your placement of the front wheel centre line in relation to the tub, it looks a bit too far forward

Once again great work tom!
Budding F1 Engineer

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Great high res shot of the wing and floor of the '27. You can see the floor quite well. Select view image and zoom in.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

I'm still curious about what looks like a "reverse snow-plow" underneath the nose between the wheels. As someone else has mentioned before, this is supposedly an empty area where no bodywork is supposed to exist.

If this is some element that is connected to the snow-plow as a duct to feed air to the splitter, this has to be the item that Mclaren deems on the edge of legality. According to Scarbs:

The yellow area below the nose is supposed to be free of any bodywork. So unless they manage some really REALLY fancy packaging, that little nublet will most likely be removed from subsequent vehicles.

Tozza Mazza

N12ck wrote:
Tozza Mazza wrote:I'm working on a little analysis of the MP4-27.

Here it is so far. Should be done soon!

Need to work on sidepods, nose, undernose, splitter and engine cover...

Just using regulations, the side image of the car, common sense, and CAD for this...

Could you add all measurements onto that, as I'm not sure on your placement of the front wheel centre line in relation to the tub, it looks a bit too far forward

Once again great work tom!
Will add measurements on the final piece. I was surprised the tub was so far back as well, but it appears to be this way (double checked).

Cheers.

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Great high res shot of the wing and floor of the '27. You can see the floor quite well.
It appears that the turning vanes are much smaller than one would expect. Suppose that is to allow more clean air to go to the sculpted sidepods to flow to the rear.

Does anyone have clearer photos of the extended rear snow-plow or extended tea-tray? What shall we refer to that bit below the nose extending rear between the front wheels as?

N12ck

It just seems a bit, forward, that's all, I'll have another look at the images of the launch, :)
Budding F1 Engineer

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

RB7ate9 wrote:What shall we refer to that bit below the nose extending rear between the front wheels as?
Ride height sensor?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Gui59
Gui59

It seems they created a second small front wing under the nose, this part seems very interesting with two separate channels.

yace

http://mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=srch&ch1=22&ch2=15

but the angle is not the same, it's a shame :(
ImageImageImage

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Just_a_fan wrote:
RB7ate9 wrote:What shall we refer to that bit below the nose extending rear between the front wheels as?
Ride height sensor?
Done :lol:

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

As a McLaren fan I think seeing a refined conservative car is actually encouraging.

McLaren's ability to develop a car throughout the season is unmatched, but last year most of their testing was hampered by the failing Octopus exhaust. In addition, McLaren have essentially started from scratch for the last three years, as they haven't produced a platform as good as they'd hoped the year before. i.e the mp4-24 and the mp4-25 were vastly different, and to some extent the mp4-26 was also a very radical change. For the first time in a while McLaren have evolved their previous design, which would suggest they're on to a winner - after all last year's car was arguably the fastest, and it's been said the new Ferrari borrows heavily from the MP4-26.

The only thing that worries me is how good it looks - it's the best looking McLaren since the mp4-24, and we all know what happened there...

xpensive
xpensive

munudeges wrote:
xpensive wrote:Needless to say, ugly doesn't necessarily mean slow, but then if it looks right, it more often than not is right?
Quite often, yes, especially when it comes to aerodynamics. Sharp, ugly surfaces tend to create unwanted variables.
Xactly why I was so disappointed with Gascoyne's latest creation, the MP4-27 however is an outright looker.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

N12ck

I think this is a great comparison mp4-27 against mp4-25

http://mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=srch&ch1=22&ch2=5
Budding F1 Engineer

Engel_T
Engel_T

Just an idea...
I suppose that these holes on the bulges that we see at the back of the sidepods are not the main exhaust ends beacause of their relatively small diameter, but the main exhaust ends are inside these bulges blowing towards the holes (admitting they have a heat resistant coating on the sidepods) , letting part of the exhaust gases flow to continue through the back and exit through the central lower cooling exit above the diffuser.
I am not a rules master, so please forgive me if I speak about illegal bullshits... :)

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法