Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Lurk

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

RB7ate9 wrote:I'm still curious about what looks like a "reverse snow-plow" underneath the nose between the wheels. As someone else has mentioned before, this is supposedly an empty area where no bodywork is supposed to exist.

If this is some element that is connected to the snow-plow as a duct to feed air to the splitter, this has to be the item that Mclaren deems on the edge of legality. According to Scarbs:

The yellow area below the nose is supposed to be free of any bodywork. So unless they manage some really REALLY fancy packaging, that little nublet will most likely be removed from subsequent vehicles.
I don't exactly remember this rule but I am pretty sure that this rule is applied when bodywork is at least 250mm away from car center line.

Tozza Mazza

It's coming along nicely, might not be able to finish it today though.

With colour it's more convincing!

Tom.

N12ck

What is the measurement between the Front wheel centre line and the front of the Tub out of curiosity?
Budding F1 Engineer

Tozza Mazza

60mm. Unusual, as I thought most cars in 2011 had the front of tubs 150mm-ish IN FRONT of the front wheel centre. this is a 210mm backwards shift.

yace

N12ck wrote:I think this is a great comparison mp4-27 against mp4-25

http://mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page=srch&ch1=22&ch2=5

yes the angle is closer, the sidepots are almost the same
ImageImageImage

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

Lurk wrote: I don't exactly remember this rule but I am pretty sure that this rule is applied when bodywork is at least 250mm away from car center line.
Hrm. I looked back and I must apologize for misinterpreting it. Scarbs and the rules dictate those shaded areas in regards to the nose itself, rather than any additional devices like turning vanes or the snow plow.

I guess I was looking for that *one* bit of kit that would be the kicker. I am interested, nonetheless, as to how it will improve airflow (if it is a major component) compared to previous iterations where only the front snow-plow was utilized.

N12ck

Tozza Mazza wrote:60mm. Unusual, as I thought most cars in 2011 had the front of tubs 150mm-ish IN FRONT of the front wheel centre. this is a 210mm backwards shift.
Yeah thats why I was critical to begin with, thats unusual, maybe they are shifting the C of G backwards to counteract some DF loss?
Budding F1 Engineer

McG

A handsome looking show car.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

ackzsel

I'm not at all an expert on the subject, but the rear of the engine cover (if it's still called that way in that area) looks a bit unfinished to me. Could it be that a component is missing where the shiny metalic looking end piece is located now? Could it be a missing aero part? Could it be related the those exhaust buldges?

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

N12ck wrote:
Tozza Mazza wrote:60mm. Unusual, as I thought most cars in 2011 had the front of tubs 150mm-ish IN FRONT of the front wheel centre. this is a 210mm backwards shift.
Yeah thats why I was critical to begin with, thats unusual, maybe they are shifting the C of G backwards to counteract some DF loss?
weight distribution is still mandated at 2011 specs for 2012.

By changing the pick up points in relation to the wheel line they will change the geometry of the suspension, to better suit the Pirelli characteristics.

Regarding the engine cover, thats typical of the way Mclaren have vented their cars in recent years, look at the Mp4-25 it has a very similar solution.
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

McG

Here are the technical specifications from the McLaren website.

MP4-27 :: Technical specifications

Chassis:
Monocoque McLaren-moulded carbonfibre composite incorporating front and side impact structures
Front suspension
Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pushrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement
Rear suspension Inboard torsion bar/damper system operated by pullrod and bell crank with a double wishbone arrangement
Electronics McLaren Electronic Systems. Including chassis control, engine control, data acquisition, dashboard, alternator, sensors, data analysis and telemetry.

Bodywork Carbon-fibre composite. Separate engine cover, sidepods and floor. Structural nose with integral front wing. Driver-operated drag reduction system
Tyres Pirelli P Zero
Radio Kenwood
Race wheels Enkei
Brake callipers Akebono
Master cylinders Akebono
Batteries GS Yuasa Corporation
Steering McLaren power-assisted
Instruments McLaren Electronic Systems
Paint solutions AkzoNobel Car Refinishes using Sikkens Product

Engine:

Type Mercedes-Benz FO 108Y
Capacity 2.4 litres
Cylinders 8
Maximum rpm
Bank angle 90°
Piston bore maximum 98mm
Number of valves 32
Fuel ExxonMobil High Performance Unleaded (5.75% bio fuel)
Spark plugs NGK racing spark plugs specially designed for Mercedes-Benz F1 engine
Lubricants Mobil 1 – combining greater performance, protection and cooling with increased economy and lower emissions
Weight 95kg (minimum FIA regulation weight)

KERS:
Type Mercedes-Benz
e-Motor Engine-mounted electrical motor/generator
ESS Integrated energy storage cells and power electronics
Power 60 kW

Transmission:
Gearbox McLaren-moulded carbon-fibre composite. Integral rear impact structure
Gears Seven forward and one reverse
Gear selection McLaren seamless shift, hand-operated
Clutch Carbon/carbon, hand-operated
Lubricants Mobil
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mozza_84
mozza_84

im new to the thread but ill put my view that this is a dummy car they aint showing the true parts last year they used a completly different exhaust and standard floor in the launch the showed up in testing with the octupus exhaust and proper floor my feelings they have done this again and some how found a way of getting the exhaust gases to help with downforce hence the comments that they are gonna have questions raised on the legitity of some parts of the car. too many confident faces on the launch today and very little given away when question were asked about the technical designs, :wink:

myurr
myurr

ackzsel wrote:Image

I'm not at all an expert on the subject, but the rear of the engine cover (if it's still called that way in that area) looks a bit unfinished to me. Could it be that a component is missing where the shiny metalic looking end piece is located now? Could it be a missing aero part? Could it be related the those exhaust buldges?
It's probably an insert so that they can adjust the size of the hole depending on cooling requirements.

Giblet
Giblet

http://www.thef1times.com/compare/

Good sliding comparions.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

mozza_84 wrote:im new to the thread but ill put my view that this is a dummy car they aint showing the true parts last year they used a completly different exhaust and standard floor in the launch the showed up in testing with the octupus exhaust and proper floor my feelings they have done this again and some how found a way of getting the exhaust gases to help with downforce hence the comments that they are gonna have questions raised on the legitity of some parts of the car. too many confident faces on the launch today and very little given away when question were asked about the technical designs, :wink:
One thing I will happily guarantee is that is not the floor they will be using!!

just have a look at that diffuser...
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna