Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ackzsel

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

myurr wrote:It's probably an insert so that they can adjust the size of the hole depending on cooling requirements.
Well, that could indeed be a more down-to-Earth explanation. I can't recall seeing something like that in recent history, though. Red Bull for instant had a significant hot air exhaust last year but it was always opened iirc.

myurr
myurr

ackzsel wrote:
myurr wrote:It's probably an insert so that they can adjust the size of the hole depending on cooling requirements.
Well, that could indeed be a more down-to-Earth explanation. I can't recall seeing something like that in recent history, though. Red Bull for instant had a significant hot air exhaust last year but it was always opened iirc.
McLaren used similar inserts for at least the last couple of years :)

Engel_T
Engel_T

Engel_T wrote:Just an idea...
I suppose that these holes on the bulges that we see at the back of the sidepods are not the main exhaust ends beacause of their relatively small diameter, but the main exhaust ends are inside these bulges blowing towards the holes (admitting they have a heat resistant coating on the sidepods) , letting part of the exhaust gases flow to continue through the back and exit through the central lower cooling exit above the diffuser.
I am not a rules master, so please forgive me if I speak about illegal bullshits... :)
Alternatively, could these holes be the exhaust ends, but the last part of the pipes inside the bulges be full of little holes blowing some hot gases inside the side pods, to be mixed with the radiators flow and exit from the back cooling outlet?

mozza_84
mozza_84

Robbobnob wrote:
mozza_84 wrote:im new to the thread but ill put my view that this is a dummy car they aint showing the true parts last year they used a completly different exhaust and standard floor in the launch the showed up in testing with the octupus exhaust and proper floor my feelings they have done this again and some how found a way of getting the exhaust gases to help with downforce hence the comments that they are gonna have questions raised on the legitity of some parts of the car. too many confident faces on the launch today and very little given away when question were asked about the technical designs, :wink:
One thing I will happily guarantee is that is not the floor they will be using!!

just have a look at that diffuser...
defo theres no detail to it its completly standard

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=mclare ... r:12,s:147

people who doubt will regret when does mclaren never come out with an innovation whether its works or not

ackzsel

myurr wrote:
ackzsel wrote:
McLaren used similar inserts for at least the last couple of years :)
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. My memory must be dusty : )

beelsebob
beelsebob

Engel_T wrote:Just an idea...
I suppose that these holes on the bulges that we see at the back of the sidepods are not the main exhaust ends beacause of their relatively small diameter, but the main exhaust ends are inside these bulges blowing towards the holes (admitting they have a heat resistant coating on the sidepods) , letting part of the exhaust gases flow to continue through the back and exit through the central lower cooling exit above the diffuser.
I am not a rules master, so please forgive me if I speak about illegal bullshits... :)
Not allowed – there has to be no body work in a cone behind the exhaust exits.

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

just a comparison picture of the 26, if you look carefully you will note the hot air exhausts are plugged with a similar insert.

was of much discussion during testing last year, in comparison with RedBulls Cannon outlet
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

kalinka
kalinka

In "The Flying Lap" #53, Scarbs talks about the car. You can see nice closeup shots of the snow-plough, and other areas of the car too.

http://smibs.tv/

MIKEY_!

Interesting bulge for the exhaust exits, they look like they're aimed upwards to the outer edges of the rear wing, near the endplate. Otherwise a fairly conservative design. This is probably for the best. Evolution not revolution for mclaren. Looks more like an evolution of the 2010 car than the 2011 car (maybe that's just the sidepods)

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I'm struggling how people are able to compare the MP4-27 to the Red Bull when the Red Bull has even been launched yet... :shock:

Interesting to see the car appears to have more rake in the studio photos. I wonder if we will see a trick front wing during testing?

volarchico
volarchico

Any thoughts on the rear-wing endplates? From the -26/-27 comparison pictures you can see the old endplates ended at the trailing edge of the wing, whereas these endplates extend almost double the length back again. But then when I go back and look at pictures throughout last season, the rear wing looks a lot more like the -27. When did this happen?

Also, the strakes at the bottom of the endplates to turn the flow out behind the rear wheels seem to be much more aggressive.

PhillipM
PhillipM

MIKEY_! wrote:Interesting bulge for the exhaust exits, they look like they're aimed upwards to the outer edges of the rear wing, near the endplate. Otherwise a fairly conservative design. This is probably for the best. Evolution not revolution for mclaren. Looks more like an evolution of the 2010 car than the 2011 car (maybe that's just the sidepods)
Looks a bit more like a merger of both philosophies to me, there's still hints of what they learnt from the L-pods there, it is impressively tight around the gearbox/engine area though

Trocola
Trocola

volarchico wrote:Any thoughts on the rear-wing endplates? From the -26/-27 comparison pictures you can see the old endplates ended at the trailing edge of the wing, whereas these endplates extend almost double the length back again. But then when I go back and look at pictures throughout last season, the rear wing looks a lot more like the -27. When did this happen?

Also, the strakes at the bottom of the endplates to turn the flow out behind the rear wheels seem to be much more aggressive.
I think it is because they are comparing the launch spec of the 26 with the new 27. As Mclaren takes more or less the same type of pictures, it is easy to compare both cars. The holes on the endplates of the rear wing appeared last year, but i do not remember when...

Edit: when I talk about holes on the endplate, I mean the holes behind the rear wheels. I think they are called "skirts", but I'm not sure

Trocola

volarchico
volarchico

Yeah, I know the slots behind the rear wheels appeared last year, but this year it appeared more aggressive or maybe just better integrated into the endplate. Perhaps that was just perspective from the image...

The part I wasn't sure about was the longitudinal location of the rear wing with regards to the length of the endplates.

Spencifer_Murphy

Blimey! What on earth is going on with all the hate in this thread?

If its not against each other it's against the car.

I saw a few pages back somebody said the car was "fat conservative and ugly" and followed up this with it's "not a winner."

Now, I realise we are all entitled to our opinions, and if you believe it is fat then fair enough. That being said, shaddock kindly put up a very helpful picture that - to me - shows the 27 isn't much "fatter" than the 25. So I for one think its more a matter of perception...on first glance the 25 looked fatter to me that it really was because of the way it's shaped (a bit more bulky high up towards the rear of the engine cover.)

Considering we know the car will have some updates as a result of testing and indeed that there is no diffuser of note (that we can see) on this show car (an area we can be sure the teams are keep on recovering lost downforce) how on earth can we say things as "its conservative". The chances are equally possible that we haven't seen the true inovations yet. As for what makes a car conservative - The RB7 was conservative, tightly packaged yes, but a fairly simple - yet devastatingly effective - shape. I seem to recall that was a pretty decent car.

Perhaps we have gotten carried away expecting more nutty ideas from Mclaren? After the F-Duct and the L/U-Sidepods were we expecting too much? Are we disappointed because they haven't fitted a plamsa-powered booster system?!

The car isn't a shocking departure from the norm, no. But that does not mean it's "conservative" and even if it is, is that necessarily a bad thing? The RB7 wasn't a shocking visual spectable at first glance, but that worked well. The MP4-26 was, so was the Williams FW27, and the Ferrari F92A....and none of those were particularly brilliant.

I am NOT saying a big departure from the norm is therefore bad. (The F-Duct on the MP4-25 was pretty handy) but just saying that trying something radically different is a gamble, which doesn't always pay off.

One might argue that Mclaren have gambled the last few years and it hasn't paid off. Maybe its time for a new approach?

By the end of the year the MP4-27 was very quick. Possibly as quick as the Red Bull perhaps? So a massive leap forward is not needed. Some might call it "conservative" others might call it "refined" or "uncluttered".

I quite like it, as a Lewis & Jenson supporter I am quietly confident - there doesn't appear (yet) to be anything that could do toooo wrong (octopus exhaust anyone?) if it is a refinement of the 25 or the 26 then thats ok...cos they were handy little numbers. Nothing here suggests to me that they have not closed the gap to the Red Bulls (equally nothing suggests that they have though.)

In short...I can't wait till the first race! :D
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.