Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

This is the image I refered to earlier. Does heat coating here suggests blowing rear hub winglets?

horse

Alexgtt wrote:This is the image I refered to earlier. Does heat coating here suggests blowing rear hub winglets?
I think the wheel winglets are in the natural path of the exhausts as they are laid out at the moment, so you could well be right. I have a feeling all of the winglets were coated in this material for last years car (or was it just the lower elements?).

Could, obviously, be a red herring also, but it's a good spot, thx. What's a bit odd is that there is no obvious heat shielding on the suspension forward of the wing.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

allstaruk08
allstaruk08

Alexgtt wrote:This is the image I refered to earlier. Does heat coating here suggests blowing rear hub winglets?

whey thats what i said they should do from the begining :wink: i would think they'd feed the duct lower down to keep it out of the exhaust gases path

also does it look to anyone else that they might be blowing the centre section of the beam wing since it doesn't look connected to the crash structure and they've curved it to keep it a decent distance from the crash structure

Raptor22
Raptor22

shelly wrote:
Coefficient wrote:
shelly wrote:I think there is no fia rule about painting. The ponsors ruel in this field.

Stickers are avoidd in f1, logos are painted I think

I think you're confusing cars with overalls there. I've seen all teams renewing the decals on their cars after practice and qualy both in person at races and on the TV.

Sponsor endorsments on overalls are sewn on instead stuck or printed to reduce flamability.

I am talking about cars: stickers are avoided as much as possible in f1 from some years on, especially on aero relevant surfaces. When did you see decals renewing last, and for which f1 team?

Shelly,

most of the livery is painted on i.e the bright Red Vodafone area.
McLaren will paint on their major sponsors logos but apply decals for the minor sponsors. This is simply because its cheaper to apply a decal on a front wing end plate than it is to create a paint mask for a spray booth.
Decals are very much alive in F1.

Other logos like the Mobil 1 logo or the Mercedes Benz logo are actually water transfers applied before the final two layers of clear cote goes on. Even for those its too expensive and complex to make a mask. Easier to apply water transfer. they're thin, light and accurately replicated over and over. Imagine a paint run while applying the three pointed star?? the whole engine cover would need tobe repainted

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

horse wrote:
I think the wheel winglets are in the natural path of the exhausts as they are laid out at the moment, so you could well be right. I have a feeling all of the winglets were coated in this material for last years car (or was it just the lower elements?).

Could, obviously, be a red herring also, but it's a good spot, thx.
I'm pretty sure many red herrings all over the car! :wink: This could be one of them but only top element has coating which is interesting. Although Scarbs said last night, in his very interesting discussion with Windsor, that in his opinion what was shown yesterday will be pretty much what tests on the opening days.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Also, that coating looks similar to that used while they developed new rear diffusers last year half way through the season.

shelly
shelly

@raptor22: as I said, decals are avoided when possible. I think that they are less and less. Yes, they would use expensive masks for writings and logos (vodafone being also painted, not only the red). Or tranfers, like you said, under the transparent layer. But most teams will try and avoid putting stickers on the outside.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Tamburello
Tamburello

Coefficient wrote:
Tumbarello wrote:What's the reasoning for the regulations which make for narrow stance cars?

With a name like Tumbarello I'd have thought you could figure this out. Narrow track cars were introduced as yet another measure to slow them down in the corners.
Hmmm yeah now come to think of it, the cars did get narrower in the times after Senna's death.

Still a stupid idea because it hardly did what it was intended to do. Why didn't they just reduce horse power? I'd take the wide track cars in exchange for 4 cylinder motors.

Coefficient
Coefficient

[/quote]I think you're confusing cars with overalls there. I've seen all teams renewing the decals on their cars after practice and qualy both in person at races and on the TV.

Sponsor endorsments on overalls are sewn on instead stuck or printed to reduce flamability.[/quote]

I am talking about cars: stickers are avoided as much as possible in f1 from some years on, especially on aero relevant surfaces. When did you see decals renewing last, and for which f1 team?[/quote]

Shelly,

most of the livery is painted on i.e the bright Red Vodafone area.
McLaren will paint on their major sponsors logos but apply decals for the minor sponsors. This is simply because its cheaper to apply a decal on a front wing end plate than it is to create a paint mask for a spray booth.
Decals are very much alive in F1.

Other logos like the Mobil 1 logo or the Mercedes Benz logo are actually water transfers applied before the final two layers of clear cote goes on. Even for those its too expensive and complex to make a mask. Easier to apply water transfer. they're thin, light and accurately replicated over and over. Imagine a paint run while applying the three pointed star?? the whole engine cover would need tobe repainted[/quote]

There is also the case where a sponsor only sponsors a team for a single grand prix or where a regular sponsor's product has a different name in a certain country. I believe Mclaren ran an alternative name for Vodafone on the rear of the rear wing flap at one of the races last year for example. If anyone can remind me which race it was it would be appreciated.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Another thing occured to me but please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (quite probable! :lol: )

I notice a distinct correlation with the rear beam wing and the coated hub winglet. Do you think they are blowing the gap between the hub winglet and wing end plate to seal the area forcing air flow onto the winglet or the rear beam? In effect making the rear beam full width between the wheels?

beelsebob
beelsebob

I just love the reflection of the pro wrestler... I mean tyre :D

Raptor22
Raptor22

shelly wrote:@raptor22: as I said, decals are avoided when possible. I think that they are less and less. Yes, they would use expensive masks for writings and logos (vodafone being also painted, not only the red). Or tranfers, like you said, under the transparent layer. But most teams will try and avoid putting stickers on the outside.

Yes and no.
It depends.

Frstly theres very little aero benefit I would imagine. The cars produce so muych dag the few grammes of drag created by a vinyl sticker protruding 0.1mm into the airstream is negligable in comparison to 4 large 13 inch, 50 profile racing tyres.

Its mostly for presentation. The clear coated water transfers look more professional than large vinyl stick on's. When you paying $30 Million have your logo on the car you want to be considered as more than an afterthought. Having those logos painted on makes the sponsor feel more like part of the team and its just looks more professional.

shelly
shelly

Some times ago I also tought painting was too much; but a lot of people seem to think differently. I think close up on wings will show they are fully painted now; also I think shel logos on ferrari,vodafone names on mclaren are all painted.

Raptor22
Raptor22

shelly wrote:Some times ago I also tought painting was too much; but a lot of people seem to think differently. I think close up on wings will show they are fully painted now; also I think shel logos on ferrari,vodafone names on mclaren are all painted.

Shell Pecten is a large water transfer. Aplied during the painting process, then clear coated.
the Vodafone red is paint but the word itself is Water transfer. Much easier to apply and reapir than if it were paint. With only two weeks to turn cars around the fastest route is often the best.

shelly
shelly

I do not know for sure how they operate now: are you? I mean, do you know the teams process'

Anyway, it is not that important, there is and will be a lot more interesting stuff to discuss