Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
horse

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

I still think there is some sort of assumption of a flow alignment between the exhaust exits and the rear wing, which there just can not be. Please, someone provide an indication at how you could guarantee a path from the exhaust to the wing at all speeds, without actively controlling the exhaust position.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I can see how it might be conceivable to have the flow impinging on the lower surface of the rear wing at low car speed but then being deflected down by as the car's speed rises. Whether this would be useful or reliable (head/tail winds could play havoc with it for example) is not something I can comment on with any confidence.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

horse

OK, thanks. So you think it could be some sort of low speed traction aid?
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

bhall
bhall

Then there's also the fact that the regulations regarding the exhausts have tightened to such a degree that their placement and orientation on the McLaren is pretty much the only way that's allowed.

shelly
shelly

MIKEY_! wrote:I seem to recall shelly talking about blowing the RW endplate vortex a while back, I could be wrong. Anyone remember what the idea was?
I remember that idea! In last year's ebd the exhausts were pointed so as to accelerate the footpalete vortex of the floor, thus strecthing it and lowering presure inside it (see vortex stretching, helmholtz theorem etc.).
So probably even with the new regulations the most effective use of exhausts for downforce is accelerating an existing vortex roughy along its axis and then make it flow under a down-oriented surface.

Wing tips with properly shaped endplates seem to be a good location for that
twitter: @armchair_aero

Gridlock

I think we have yet to really understand whether this year the exhaust plume is most usefully used for 'sealing' a volume of airflow (as with the outer-5cm rule last year) or for being used as a high-energy flow in itself, as in 2010?

The latter would suggest pointing it at brake duct fins for exit traction, because as someone's already pointed out it's not going to be anywhere near consistent enough though the range of speeds to aim it at the rear wing?

Or can you create aero conditions using bodywork that can generate this consistency of aim, eg a speed-dependent area of low pressure above the exhaust plume?

shelly
shelly

One big optio for exhausts will be making them interact with the side pos befor them.
Inducing supercirculation on the sidepod extension that houses them is an option

Of course the arifol shape will be very fat because of min raidus rule, but it is still reasonably possible: usehe exhausts to divert ari upside around the pod extendion and use the low pressure on bottom of it
twitter: @armchair_aero

balalev
balalev

corrected
Last edited by balalev on 03 Feb 2012, 13:25, edited 1 time in total.

beelsebob
beelsebob

As I posted in the ferrari thread, the scaling is well off.

Chasis_1992

roadie

The MP4-27 is really a fantastic looking car. I'll leave the technical analysis to Scarbs etc, but it certainly looks fast in it's forward stance due to the large rake it appears to have, and the low front end.

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

sAx
sAx

Chasis_1992 wrote:Image
3-1 in favour of MP4-27's competitors in terms of design philosophy. Will make for an interesting interim period, as to see how determined designers will be to stay faithful, when effective performance is evaluated on track!

sAx
Last edited by sAx on 03 Feb 2012, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

beelsebob
beelsebob

raymondu999 wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfS2NwqfCkA[/youtube]
Haha, he confirms my hypothesis that the short chord rear wing is stalling the main plane as well as the DRS flap.

ianwit
ianwit

This nose configuration worked for McLaren last year there's no reason why it shouldn't this year.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.