Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ell66
ell66

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

timbo wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:McLaren have traditionally been good at mechanical design. Kerb riding, traction, low speed responsiveness, braking.
Last year Vettel grabbed at least two poles by being better over the kerbs than everybody else. Don't know how much of that is him or RB7, though.
The red bulls have also been very good over kerbs since 2010.

Pierce89

raymondu999 wrote:
ianwit wrote:Would I be right to say that the McLaren is better at riding the kerbs and this might be a feature the drivers prefer and would that be down to their front suspension geometry?
McLaren have traditionally been good at mechanical design. Kerb riding, traction, low speed responsiveness, braking.
yes traditionally they have, but since 2009 the Maccas have been suspended stiffer than stiff
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

raymondu999

We saw that in 2010; but in 2011; they've only been stiff at the front - they seem quite supple at the rear. And even in 2010 they were good on traction braking and kerb riding. They weren't so good in 2010 at BUMP riding though - if they met a bump they practically had to coast. But other than a bit of porpoising under braking in bumpy braking zones, I don't remember McLaren being weak there. Just take a look at Hamilton's on boards in Canada 2010 and Abu Dhabi 2010; the car rides kerbs beautifully.

I remember distinctly free practice in Bahrain 2010 there was a bump into turn 6 of the new infield section. McLaren were obviously lifting through the bump; the Red Bull shook slightly as it went over the bump; and the Ferrari basically ignored it. Brundle said, "McLaren are having to coast through that bump in Turn 6. The Ferrari rides it like a Rolls Royce"
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

fets81

just out of curiosity is it just lighting, the camera may not be bang on central but the exhausts don't look symmetrical

is that normal or just a trick of the eye or something?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:We saw that in 2010; but in 2011; they've only been stiff at the front - they seem quite supple at the rear. And even in 2010 they were good on traction braking and kerb riding. They weren't so good in 2010 at BUMP riding though - if they met a bump they practically had to coast. But other than a bit of porpoising under braking in bumpy braking zones, I don't remember McLaren being weak there. Just take a look at Hamilton's on boards in Canada 2010 and Abu Dhabi 2010; the car rides kerbs beautifully.
I don't know about that - 2007 - 2009 was the best of curb riding for Hamilton in my view.. See Abu Dhabi 2009.. The car was pimp slapping the tarmac coming off those curbs. 2010 and up was nothing close.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

raymondu999

You have to admit the 2011 car was actually quite good on the kerbs. 2009 though there were times the car would be three wheeling. But I agree that the 2011 McL was not as good as the 2007/2008 cars on the kerbs. That car could mount the inner kerb, brake, turn, and you wouldn't know it was on a kerb. Such as Lewis' fantastic pass on Kimi in Monza 2007.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Raptor22
Raptor22

fets81 wrote:just out of curiosity is it just lighting, the camera may not be bang on central but the exhausts don't look symmetrical

is that normal or just a trick of the eye or something?

its the launch car. Those little irritating details need to be rectified by the first race..

Bomber_Pilot

It's just the perspective. You can see more of the right rw endplate, more sidewall on the right tire and less of the right exhaust...
Last edited by Bomber_Pilot on 04 Feb 2012, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.

mozza_84
mozza_84

just read on one of my f1 andriod apps that charlie whiting is attending jerez to inspect mclarens exhaust system theres rumours that they have exploited the regulations and found something with the exhaust which has been camoflaged by the bulge at the rear of the car.

the app is livesports24 racing.

fets81

Bomber_Pilot wrote:It's just the perspective. You can see more of the right rw endplate, more yellow on the right tire and less of the right exhaust...
seems pretty bang on to me, it maybe a little off but nothing else on the car has that kind of degree of difference from left to right.

I'd tend to agree with raptor its just the show car & its just an inaccuracy, that was my first thought but with the technical boffins around here I thought I'd post it just incase
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White

KevinR34
KevinR34

raymondu999

Don't forget McLaren have a certain affinity for assymetric exhausts. Like in 2009 and 2010
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Javert

mozza_84 wrote:just read on one of my f1 andriod apps that charlie whiting is attending jerez to inspect mclarens exhaust system theres rumours that they have exploited the regulations and found something with the exhaust which has been camoflaged by the bulge at the rear of the car.

An "Octopus-style" bulge where exhaust pipes blow their gases and then they are carried everywhere in the car?
This can explain why they need more air inside the sidepod :mrgreen:

beelsebob
beelsebob

Javert wrote:
mozza_84 wrote:just read on one of my f1 andriod apps that charlie whiting is attending jerez to inspect mclarens exhaust system theres rumours that they have exploited the regulations and found something with the exhaust which has been camoflaged by the bulge at the rear of the car.

An "Octopus-style" bulge where exhaust pipes blow their gases and then they are carried everywhere in the car?
This can explain why they need more air inside the sidepod :mrgreen:
In all these theories no one has managed to explain how you'd divert the exhaust flow with no body work in the cone the gasses exit through.

krisfx
krisfx

The bulges look like they might force air around the rear wheels like the front wing end plates do at the front, or maybe into the brake ducts or edge of the floor?

I'm in no way experienced with things like this and it's just a visual guess..