Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Turvey completes MP4-27 shakedown

McLaren tester Oliver Turvey became the first person to drive the team's 2012 challenger in Spain on Saturday, completing a range of system checks behind the wheel of the MP4-27 before pre-season running kicks off at the Circuito de Jerez next week.

"Was an absolute honour to be the first person to drive the McLaren MP4-27 today, thoroughly enjoyed every moment," Turvey explained via his personal Twitter account, having been present at the car launch on Wednesday. "It ran well today but hard to know how good the performance will be until we get on track next week in Jerez!"

Jenson Button will begin the outfit's testing programme at Jerez next Tuesday, driving for the first two days of the gathering before team-mate Lewis Hamilton takes over.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2741 ... shakedown/

Shakeman

Rumour has it the McLaren bulges aim hot air at the diffuser.

The bulge circulates air from the side pod round the exhaust then dumps it out an exit in the bottom of the bulge aimed at the outside edge of the diffuser.

Gerhard Berger
Gerhard Berger

Shakeman wrote:Rumour has it the McLaren bulges aim hot air at the diffuser.

The bulge circulates air from the side pod round the exhaust then dumps it out an exit in the bottom of the bulge aimed at the outside edge of the diffuser.
would this air have enough energy to create the skirt around the diffuser?

pocketmoon

Sweet! So you can't blow exhaust gas but nothing says you can't use it though a heat exchange mechanism to put some energy into the other hot air that's been cooling the internals. So the bulge would house a heat exchange pipes.

chepoi
chepoi

is this the second air inlet for cooling?

amouzouris

chepoi wrote:is this the second air inlet for cooling?

yes..scarbs says its a replacement for the ear behind the airbox they had last year...what ferrari are using now

kalinka
kalinka

I had a similar idea on page 29, but I very much doubt that it has enough aero benefit. It just seems too exotic for me, but who knows...

ringo

I do wonder why their sidepod openings are so much bigger than the other teams.
The mercedes engine came to mind, but force india have pretty small openings.

Will this car be fast?
The ferrari is looking pretty nifty along with the Lotus.
For Sure!!

raymondu999

The intakes do seem rather large don't they? Even the MP4-25 (the intakes which, you have today, are of the same ilk as those on the -27) had smaller.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

ringo wrote:I do wonder why their sidepod openings are so much bigger than the other teams.
The mercedes engine came to mind, but force india have pretty small openings.

Will this car be fast?
The ferrari is looking pretty nifty along with the Lotus.
The size of the sidepods doen't really show the ability of the car ringo! We can't determine the potential of the car just based on the size of the sidpods yes its true that a undercut sidepods will give the upper hand but I'm pretty sure that those guys in Woking know what they are doing! No point challenging those people who has a better knowledge in this particular field!

raymondu999

I don't think ringo is saying the car will be slow due to the side pods. I think he just put 2 separate musings into one post. - the first of which I agree with. The intakes do seem rather large, though obviously we haven't had good comparison shots with the Force India.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think ringo is saying the car will be slow due to the side pods. I think he just put 2 separate musings into one post. - the first of which I agree with. The intakes do seem rather large, though obviously we haven't had good comparison shots with the Force India.
But according to Tim Goss the sidepod intake of the 26 is actually bigger than the 27 and even though the sidepods of the 27 is really bigger than the 26 its pretty much expected as the new car don't feature a secondary intake that cools the KERS unit

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Was this your source?

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... try5508062

It makes no sense.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

raymondu999

NonNewtonic wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I don't think ringo is saying the car will be slow due to the side pods. I think he just put 2 separate musings into one post. - the first of which I agree with. The intakes do seem rather large, though obviously we haven't had good comparison shots with the Force India.
But according to Tim Goss the sidepod intake of the 26 is actually bigger than the 27 and even though the sidepods of the 27 is really bigger than the 26 its pretty much expected as the new car don't feature a secondary intake that cools the KERS unit
That's a given; as the 26's intakes: a) cooled the car too much anyways; as the team often said and b) Were designed with dirty air input in mind - don't forget the bulk of the air it was taking in was dirty air from the tyres anyways.

But these side pods are directly comparable to the MP4-25; especially as the intake is the same shape pretty much. I haven't compared them side by side, but this definitely looks bigger
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NonNewtonic
NonNewtonic

raymondu999 wrote:
NonNewtonic wrote:
That's a given; as the 26's intakes: a) cooled the car too much anyways; as the team often said and b) Were designed with dirty air input in mind - don't forget the bulk of the air it was taking in was dirty air from the tyres anyways.

But these side pods are directly comparable to the MP4-25; especially as the intake is the same shape pretty much. I haven't compared them side by side, but this definitely looks bigger
It do looks wider but its much more shorter compare to its predecessor