Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Just beautiful, best car for looks by a country mile.

ianwit
ianwit

From the BBC Live Feed, interesting. Must get on with some work now!

BBC Sport's chief F1 writer Andrew Benson

"There is a certain amount of anxiety among fans of McLaren that their car is the only one so far not to feature a stepped 'platypus' nose. There is a rumour going around that this is all part of a cunning plan. The lower nose regulation was originally planned for 2011, but was delayed by a year. The rumour goes that McLaren built their 2011 chassis and crash structure to conform to the stepped nose regs and were effectively running it all last year - which would make McLaren months ahead of their rivals in optimising the aerodynamics of the new rules. I ran this by an experienced F1 engineer, and the response was: 'Sounds like a good story to cover up a bit of a screw-up.' Time will tell."
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

Lurk

Just the same BS that was already said.
They didn't run their low nose just last year, they always ran a low nose.

adrianjordan

How are those exhaust fairings (for want of a better term) not falling fowl of the no bodywork in a cone behind the end of the exhaust pipe?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Raptor22
Raptor22

cars only need to conform at the first race. testing is a free for all

Shakeman

Raptor22 wrote:cars only need to conform at the first race. testing is a free for all
What would be the reason for testing a part that cannot be raced?

Is it a testing part making exhaust setups easier to find the optimum position for the race version?

Chalke
Chalke

Aside from the exhaust slots, also now visible on this pic are a new monkey-seat, reduced size engine cover exit and an all-around slot on the diffuser edge.

raymondu999

Why would those slitted exhaust bulges not contravene the regs (the one about there being no bodywork 3 degrees either way of the exhaust exit?)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Raptor22
Raptor22

Shakeman wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:cars only need to conform at the first race. testing is a free for all
What would be the reason for testing a part that cannot be raced?

Is it a testing part making exhaust setups easier to find the optimum position for the race version?

I don;t have first hand information on their test programme so I can only assume that at the momnt they are running it to gauge basic opertion of the car.
A final, conformin component may be in the workflow our perhaps they have a radiator exit that will fit there at a future test.At this point its all just speculation.

I.e. the y could have an idea to use a fluidic switch to either dump hot under engine cover out the back via the rear most exit or have it drawn out via an exit surrounding the exhaust.

Gridlock

raymondu999 wrote:Why would those slitted exhaust bulges not contravene the regs (the one about there being no bodywork 3 degrees either way of the exhaust exit?)
Because 3 degrees isn't that much, at the distance from the exit we're looking at here. A 6-deg arc (3 either side) is only 1/15th of a right angle, if you see what I mean. So the bodywork might have to be 3-4cm from the exhaust walls at 15cm back.

paipa
paipa

Gridlock wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Why would those slitted exhaust bulges not contravene the regs (the one about there being no bodywork 3 degrees either way of the exhaust exit?)
Because 3 degrees isn't that much, at the distance from the exit we're looking at here. A 6-deg arc (3 either side) is only 1/15th of a right angle, if you see what I mean. So the bodywork might have to be 3-4cm from the exhaust walls at 15cm back.
3 degrees is so little that it only requires an 8 millimetre clearance in 15 cms. If the slit is about 1.6 cms wider than the exhaust diameter it's most probably legal as long as they share the same axis.

zgred

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

Very similar gurney slot and diffuser top to the Ferrari.
Last edited by Steven on 08 Feb 2012, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed quoted post that is just above

Raptor22
Raptor22

Top plane of the win is separated from the main plane at theend plate.
Iguess they hinge it from the two fences and operate DRS from there too?

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

High res shot of McLaren rear & diffuser. right click>view image