Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
simieski
simieski

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

If they open up the slit, it would be possible to use the exhaust airflow to act as a jet pump to suck air out of the side pods? I would assume lowering pressure aft of the radiator would act to increase flow efficiency across it?
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

dren

raymondu999 wrote:Why is it an entire longitudinal slit? Any takers?
That slot is introducing the airflow from over the sidepods. This must help with directing the flow somehow. If they just wanted the exit further back they could have gone with a thinner slot right?
Honda!

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Shakeman

dren wrote:
That slot is introducing the airflow from over the sidepods. This must help with directing the flow somehow. If they just wanted the exit further back they could have gone with a thinner slot right?
Could it be a more prosaic answer, that they didn't want the problems Ferrari have encountered with burning?

raymondu999

Fair point. I don't remember a car that has in recent years not faced exhaust issues in testing; be it cracking or disintegrating or catching fire or whatever. Except maybe the Brawn.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

dren

Shakeman wrote:
dren wrote:
Could it be a more prosaic answer, that they didn't want the problems Ferrari have encountered with burning?
Good point. I'm probably over-thinking it.
Honda!

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Shakeman wrote:
dren wrote:
My understanding is the regulations do not allow any bodywork above the exhaust exit, so this is the 'compromise'.

If they wanted the exhaust at the end of that buldge, they would have put it there. I suspect they intentionally set it in to the buldge, and are using the slot to condition the exhuast flow.

In essence they are putting as much bodywork around the exhaust as the regulations allow.

Javert

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:MP4-27

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNODkBb6_Ok[/youtube]
May I be wrong, but a little part of engine overrun have been kept
Nice sound ...
In the exit of the second turn in video, Button seem to lose a bit the rear, not so dramatically ... Lack of EBD 8)

raymondu999

I think it's the microphone maxing out and giving that screechy sibilance; rather than overrun. But I could be wrong.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Shakeman

Diesel wrote:
My understanding is the regulations do not allow any bodywork above the exhaust exit, so this is the 'compromise'.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

But what of Ferrari and their implementation?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Shakeman wrote:
Diesel wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

But what of Ferrari and their implementation?
Well their exhaust pipes appear to pop out the end of their bodywork, so it's not an issue. The ends of the McLaren pipes are burried deep within the bulge of the bodywork, interestingly they seem to be positioned to finish on the surface of the bodywork if it was smooth (without the bulges).

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

What is that thing just in front of the wheel on the floor of the car, is it an sensor or some kind of an duct? And try looking closely at the rear brake ducts it looks interesting.

Chalke
Chalke

It's a sensor, you can see the wire taped to the floor disappearing in the background.

Not seeing anything unusual about the brake ducts at the mo (also tape there as it happens, to boost temps during cold running this morning perhaps), care to enlighten us?

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

As we look closer at brake ducts we can see that the lower part of it has the wire mesh which is the inlet for brake cooling and the above unguarded part is what i believe that the exhaust is faced at and is blowned to it to create downforce.

Paul

Burnt floor was reported by Ted Kravitz- does this mean they manage to channel exhaust efficiently over the diffuser?